• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I’m pleased. Best game of Frost era

First of all I think the Huskers played hard and did not give up. But I am getting sick of all the penalties and mental errors game after game. Also the kicking game is killing us.

First of all I think the Huskers played hard and did not give up. But I am getting sick of all the penalties and mental errors game after game. Also the kicking game is killing us.
It’s certainly cost NU some wins. Can’t argue. I agree. That said, yesterday seemed different. Was it a fluke? I suppose we’ll find out some things Saturday.

I don’t think Georgia’s offense is anything special. It’s pedestrian at best right now. The defense is very strong. We will know much more about all of these teams in 2-3 weeks.

1632116691988.png

C

actually listened to this, surprisingly since I hate listening to podcasts/audio things. Was expecting a bit deeper analysis, but the analysis was better than the headline and at least worth discussing.

"Dr. Rob Zatechka says the biggest problem with the offensive line is the scheme."

A couple of thoughts:

- he didn't seem to realize how Piper has been struggling. I don't think anyone should have been too surprised about Piper not starting

- Yes, starting a walk-on at OG and a converted TE at Center isn't optimal on the surface, but that converted TE is one of the higher-ceiling players on the rosters, and Hixson's been on the field for multiple good performances in the past few years and is one of 20 or so walk-ons brought on on the OL the past few years to make it to starter...

- That said, Corcoran's been banged up and just not playing great. Benhart's had some troubles, especially with speed, and that's likely not changing a ton, but maybe having Vokolek available maybe gives us some options for helping him and/or running at a rush DE there - have to think that having him back will help our running game as well

Overall, though, I was a bit confused -- and I wasn't sure I was getting his discussion of simple zone blocking versus what we're doing a lot of the time anyways. Most of the teams he mentioned in the B10 running the ZBS's are also mixing in some gap stuff as well. Now I think he's got a point that we sometimes seem to be screening more than knocking people off the ball, but even against a very good OU DL, we did a good bit of that when we focused on it and kept working on it through the game. The gap stuff we ran looked to be among the most effective of the things we ran.

Anyone have a better handle on what he's talking about here?

actually listened to this, surprisingly since I hate listening to podcasts/audio things. Was expecting a bit deeper analysis, but the analysis was better than the headline and at least worth discussing.

"Dr. Rob Zatechka says the biggest problem with the offensive line is the scheme."

A couple of thoughts:

- he didn't seem to realize how Piper has been struggling. I don't think anyone should have been too surprised about Piper not starting

- Yes, starting a walk-on at OG and a converted TE at Center isn't optimal on the surface, but that converted TE is one of the higher-ceiling players on the rosters, and Hixson's been on the field for multiple good performances in the past few years and is one of 20 or so walk-ons brought on on the OL the past few years to make it to starter...

- That said, Corcoran's been banged up and just not playing great. Benhart's had some troubles, especially with speed, and that's likely not changing a ton, but maybe having Vokolek available maybe gives us some options for helping him and/or running at a rush DE there - have to think that having him back will help our running game as well

Overall, though, I was a bit confused -- and I wasn't sure I was getting his discussion of simple zone blocking versus what we're doing a lot of the time anyways. Most of the teams he mentioned in the B10 running the ZBS's are also mixing in some gap stuff as well. Now I think he's got a point that we sometimes seem to be screening more than knocking people off the ball, but even against a very good OU DL, we did a good bit of that when we focused on it and kept working on it through the game. The gap stuff we ran looked to be among the most effective of the things we ran.

Anyone have a better handle on what he's talking about here?
I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I generally like Dr. RZ's takes, but I usually don't have time to listen to 30 minutes of BS before they get to 3 minutes of meat.

But these last couple of podcasts, it seems like he's trying to unnecessarily stir the pot. Especially when he says the scheme is the problem. Maybe if I actually listened to the podcast it would make sense. Now Rob has forgotten more about O-line schemes than I'll ever know, but even at that, if you're not in the team meetings, there's no way to know what the line scheme is, or whether the players are executing what the coaches have been instructing them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back