• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers host Bison - 6:05 Ctrl - Wednesday, May 3, 2023 - Hawks Field

We can do it.
The strange thing is…we can.

The kids win the series against Maryland….Then PSU and Purdue (a sweep of one of those last two would really help)…

And they could “possibly” win the Big10 Regular Season which should give them a ticket to the dance….regardless.

A lot has to fall their way though, but it’s not impossible by any stretch….Maybe 30% chance…probably less.

But we have to stop spotting teams 5 runs in the first couple of innings. And 16 K’s against a team of this caliber is just inexcusable.

Last edited:

The strange thing is…we can.

The kids win the series against Maryland….Then PSU and Purdue (a sweep of one of those last two would really help)…

And they could “possibly” win the Big10 Regular Season which should give them a ticket to the dance….regardless.

A lot has to fall their way though, but it’s not impossible by any stretch.

But we have to stop spotting teams 5 runs in the first couple of innings. And 16 K’s against a team of this caliber is just inexcusable.
Winning the Big Ten regular season does not guarantee a bid. In our case, it certainly would not be enough.

I think our probability of winning the Big Ten regular season is 0%.
Our probability of making the the Big Ten tourney is 30%.

And 16 K’s against a team of this caliber is just inexcusable.
C’mon….against nearly anyone it is, and it’s become habit across the last three coaching regimes. In defense of this year’s model, the slugging % and run production are there, but when you’re chasing five after one (!!!), you gotta get in baserunner mode. Exasperating! Nevertheless, our situation is unchanged and Friday brings an opportunity. Let’s capitalize. GBR!!

Winning the Big Ten regular season does not guarantee a bid. In our case, it certainly would not be enough.
Disagree. But you could be correct. I looked back the last 20 years and I can’t find a regular season Big 10 winner that did not make the tournament….. there is nothing in stone that says a regular season winner makes the dance….at least not that I have seen. However, I have never seen a power five team that won their conference in the regular season not invited.

Maybe it’s happened before, but I couldn’t find an example.

Certainly, statistics like RPI, Strength of Schedule and Quad Wins have started to play a much greater role than they used to….so maybe we would be the first that this would happen.

But I just don’t think so. Power five still swings weight with the NCAA regardless of stats. Now BiG 10 is the weakest of the power five in Baseball…so again..it might happen.

But it’s all kind of moot at this point…

Let’s revisit this if, by some miracle, they win the Regular Season.

16ks. 4 homers. Says it all. Very selfish plate approach. Guys just trying to get theirs. Most NDSU pitchers tonight had high walk to strikeout ratios. How many walks did we take? Free swinging bunch.
I have wondered about this since about 15 games in…seems like we changed approach a LOT…

Whether it was the kids…or a solid decision by Bolt to attack first and second pitches…..early in the count…be far more aggressive. Whatever…

But since….
Our HR and Run production is up…but our strikeouts are waaay up.

And I think this approach has caused waaaay too many LOB. I have to wonder if our run production would be even higher if we were a tad more patient at the plate.

Just hate to see them struggle.like this…
The entire season has been whack-a-mole

Solve inconsistent pitching…. All of a sudden fielding errors go through the roof.

Starting pitching seems to be pretty solid and relievers go to heck.

Bats get hot and starting pitching goes to heck.

Relievers get fixed and starting pitching gives up bucketfuls early

But then…that’s sports.

I also think that for the money, fan base, facilities and support that Nebraska has…there is really no excuse why we cannot be at the very top of a weak conference, consistently.

I like Will…his 2021 season was magical…. But those were mostly Erstad’s guys. We need to be better than what we are…that simple.

Last edited:

I have wondered about this since about 15 games in…seems like we changed approach a LOT…

Whether it was the kids…or a solid decision by Bolt to attack first and second pitches…..early in the count…be far more aggressive. Whatever…

But since….
Our HR and Run production is up…but our strikeouts are waaay up.

And I think this approach has caused waaaay too may LOB. I have to wonder if our run production would be even higher if we were a tad more patient at the plate.

Just hate to see them struggle.like this…
The entire season has been whack-a-mole

Solve inconsistent pitching…. All of a sudden fielding errors go through the roof.

Starting pitching seems to be pretty solid and relievers go to heck.

Bats get hot and starting pitching goes to heck.

Relievers get fixed and starting pitching gives up bucketfuls early

But then…that’s sports.

I also think that for the money, fan base, facilities and support that Nebraska has…there is really no excuse why we cannot be at the very top of a weak conference, consistently.

I like Will…his 2021 season was magical…. But those were mostly Erstad’s guys. We need to be better than what we are…that simple.
I do appreciate your self-therapy here after cruddy losses! :) I prefer to bathe in broken glass. But will be back, scars and all.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back