• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers fans should pay close attention to the Rams defense today

Goff did almost nothing to help his team while making some bad throws and decisions. McVay was for sure badly out coached and admitted it after the game. The Rams D gave up over 400 yds but few points while Pats D played absolutely lights. After all that the Rams were still in the game with only 4 mins left. Goff tossed the INT and that was nail in the coffin.

I thought it would come down to penalties, turnovers and scoring in the RZ. As it turns out neither team were able to get to the RZ much. I wonder if the Saints with Brees would have given the Pats more problems but that ship had sailed.

Lots of people complaining it was a boring game and it was to some extent. On the other hand the NFL has been pushing pin ball type high scoring games for a long time. Almost all the rule changes have been slanted to help offenses score, score and more scoring! So many folks no longer like nor appreciate tight hard fought defensive games imo.

Bottom line it's still difficult great coaching and experience. Brady made his mistakes but NOT when the game was on the line. This isn't the Brady of old but more of game manager then a super star QB imo. The Pats rode this SB title on the backs of some great defensive play while the offense did just enough to win!
I pretty much agree. Goff throw that interception up for grabs, and it reminded me of the sort of panicked play that jr. high and JV QBs make, and are expected not to make them again.

The two Patriots players who most stood out to me were Edelman, which needs no explanation, and Hightower, was incredibly disruptive. Even when he didn't get to the QB, they had to spend a lot of effort containing him.

For the Rams, Gurley was clearly not 100%, and that hurts at a lot of levels. The Pats defense focused on taking away the Inside-Zone running play, which is what I would have expected as Belichick has always focused on taking away what a team does best. Anderson has done a great job, but he just isn't the same threat as Gurley to either bounce it outside on an IZ play or to turn the corner going wide on a Zone-Stretch play. The Pats had to defend the boundary receivers, and they loaded up in the middle from the LoS all the way back, but the Rams weren't really able to challenge them with running plays at the edge, in the alley, and it killed them.

The Rams offense is in a similar situation to Nebraska in that they really need a couple of long-bodied receivers: a burner on the outside to tear the top off, and a possession receiver for the 3rd down conversions and 5-10 yard passes over the middle. The Pats also need the burner for the outside, but between Gronk and Edelman, they have the short stuff covered.

It will be interesting to see if Suh stays with the Rams. Yesterday's defense was about as good as any at matching up with every NFL offense, as needed, but I don't know how many they will lose from it. A little more depth and a run-stuffing stud ILB would be great to add.

I thought Goff made a lot of very poor throws? Even when he had time he wasn't accurate and missed some wide open receivers. Great QB's find ways to make plays and he clearly didn't do that last night. He's a very good QB that had a very poor game imo. I agree the Rams O-line got schooled and didn't get it done. It's funny because all the talk how the Rams D line would be in Brady's face really didn't materialize very much! Over all I thought the Pats O-line handled the Rams and was great to see Rex have that critical run. Obviously the Pats trust Rex in critical situations......
You didn't think that the Rams defense was putting pressure on Brady? I have to disagree with you there. The Patriots have a great offensive line, which is why nobody had touched Brady in the playoffs until yesterday. He got sacked, hit hard a few times, and he was forced to move around in the pocket a heck of a lot more than he has for a long time. If the Rams offense would have just put some points on the board, the defense could have taken some more chances with blitz packages, but they were too risky in such a tight game when the Rams O hadn't moved the ball. I think that the Rams D-line wore down, but that first half was probably as physical as anything that New England has seen for awhile, and Brady definitely did NOT look comfortable in the pocket.

What did in the Rams was the Pats defense.... end of story!
I agree. I find it amusing that anyone could watch that game and blame the Rams defense. @cthusker , when is the last time that an opponent held the Patriots to that few points in a big game? I'm not talking about some meaningless regular season crap show, which New England tends to have a couple times per year. I mean playoff games, especially AFC championship or Super Bowl games. I thought the Rams defense was excellent.

Did you watch the same game that I did? That was the lowest scoring Super Bowl in history, and a healthy Patriots offense never managed to score a TD until late in the 2nd half. If Chinander's defense can match that, I would expect to win championships.
I was playin man...It's what I do. You know far more about this game called fooseball than I will ever know. I enjoyed the read you provided it helps me learn. Then I watch a hockey game and forget it all

Go Sioux

You didn't think that the Rams defense was putting pressure on Brady? I have to disagree with you there. The Patriots have a great offensive line, which is why nobody had touched Brady in the playoffs until yesterday. He got sacked, hit hard a few times, and he was forced to move around in the pocket a heck of a lot more than he has for a long time. If the Rams offense would have just put some points on the board, the defense could have taken some more chances with blitz packages, but they were too risky in such a tight game when the Rams O hadn't moved the ball. I think that the Rams D-line wore down, but that first half was probably as physical as anything that New England has seen for awhile, and Brady definitely did NOT look comfortable in the pocket.
I agree to some extent... Goff was sacked 4 times.. Brady once......... No Brady wasn't comfortable especially in the first half but the Rams really didn't get to him but a few times. Suh had 1 tackle, 1 assist and 1 hurry? Not very dominating imo...... The fact is the Pats running game took it to the Rams and they had no answer. Pats still had over 400 yds of offense and probably should have put up more points imo. That was credit to Rams D and some mistakes from Brady.

Now if Nebraska D can get anywhere close to performing like either of those teams I'll be very happy next season.......

However, you know what they say about IF's.... :Biggrin:

If anyone is interested this article explains just how good the Pats defense played against a truly dynamic offense.......

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...erformance-history-here-how-patriots-did-rams
Good article, and it reminded me that I hadn't given enough credit to Van Noy. He had a lot of big plays, but I thought that much of that was opportunism, which is great, but not the sort of thing where Hightower was creating plays when plays needed to be made. Van Noy's fast closing speed on the rollout by Goff was amazing.

I was playin man...It's what I do. You know far more about this game called fooseball than I will ever know. I enjoyed the read you provided it helps me learn. Then I watch a hockey game and forget it all

Go Sioux

Or ‘Go Pioneers’

For a team to beat the Rams defense (which has double digit one year players on it) without having any thing resembling a deep ball threat is amazing. I'd stack that Rams defense up agains t any in the league - easily. The Patriots did an amazing job in schemeing, planning and execution, and again showed just how good their offense line is, the unit on their team that almost never gets the credit it deserves fot the team's success..

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back