• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Huskers 27 to 28 point favorite over Wyoming depending on the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I would agree on the film....but their D is so bad that I don't think it will matter that much....

They have switched a 3-4 because they just do not have the talent.....

They are bad for sure that's why I think we will just run at them since blocking schemes don't really change and it won't screw us up too much. We pass we have zero of their blitzes and pressure packages on film. No matter how bad an athlete is if he is unblocked he can make a TFL.

I expect us to run all over them....so I agree....we could see at least a couple of 100+ yard rushers that day....their run-D is horrendous....I could easily see 450+ yards on the ground....

I think we will throw the ball enough to keep them honest....

A bit like the Idaho State game last year in that sense....

They are bad for sure that's why I think we will just run at them since blocking schemes don't really change and it won't screw us up too much. We pass we have zero of their blitzes and pressure packages on film. No matter how bad an athlete is if he is unblocked he can make a TFL.

28 point favorties....looks like the boys in vegas don't think our defense has improved.

Probably be calls for Bo's head if we win by less than 4 touchdowns...and rightly so

Really? So if we win by less than 28 you think Bo should be fired?:facepalm:

Agree with all.....

Smith's problem is he has no running game to help him out....leading rusher from last season had less than 400 yards....Smith will be made one dimensional in a very hostile stadium in the opening game of the season.....I don't see them scoring more than 14 points UNLESS our second and third string guys are on the field by mid-third quarter....and I hope that happens....the backup's in early in the second half....
We are not a very hostile crowd and even our 2nd and 3rd string should be able to beat Wyoming or we are in for a long season.

I expect us to run all over them....so I agree....we could see at least a couple of 100+ yard rushers that day....their run-D is horrendous....I could easily see 450+ yards on the ground....

I think we will throw the ball enough to keep them honest....

A bit like the Idaho State game last year in that sense....
Last year they were bad but it is a new year to really know for sure if they are as bad as they were.

Another reason for my skepticism is that in the first couple games, Pelini will try some different things to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle. What I mean is that if they go four receiver sets, instead of running dime into the game, he may leave it at nickel and have Santos and Anderson still out on the field, to see if ZA can cover a slot receiver, rather than needing to take him off the field. Bo is a lot more calculated than some people give him credit for. He will try things to see what guys can handle. He may blitz with people he wouldn't normally blitz with, he may leave more LBs on the field, he may leave Valentine in on certain spread passing situations to see if he can chase someone down or push the pocket. Sometimes he may find out that he has a few more options at his disposal than first anticipated, or, ZA could get toasted by a slot receiver. Lots of variables in first couple games. I won't be surprised either way with what the final score is. Could be a blowout or it could be closer than the 28.

Interesting points....

Another reason for my skepticism is that in the first couple games, Pelini will try some different things to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle. What I mean is that if they go four receiver sets, instead of running dime into the game, he may leave it at nickel and have Santos and Anderson still out on the field, to see if ZA can cover a slot receiver, rather than needing to take him off the field. Bo is a lot more calculated than some people give him credit for. He will try things to see what guys can handle. He may blitz with people he wouldn't normally blitz with, he may leave more LBs on the field, he may leave Valentine in on certain spread passing situations to see if he can chase someone down or push the pocket. Sometimes he may find out that he has a few more options at his disposal than first anticipated, or, ZA could get toasted by a slot receiver. Lots of variables in first couple games. I won't be surprised either way with what the final score is. Could be a blowout or it could be closer than the 28.

If we don't score 40+ I would be seriously underwhelmed. I could easily see a few defensive busts though, so 28 is about right.

Interesting points....

He won't do anything crazy like blitz all 11, but he just wants to win games and doesn't care the score which is some of the reasons why we don't see blowouts like we used to unless it is a complete mismatch like Idaho State. My point is if we get up he will try some things just to see what happens. Most likely everyone will be able to handle what they are asked to do against Wyoming, but you never know. You may see what you have been talking about with just a couple DLinemen in and Afalava and Gregory on the edge as a wrinkle to see what happens. But at the same time we should out-athlete the heck out of them and win comfortably.

That, among many reasons why I suggest you'd either put your money on Nebraska to cover -- or just don't touch it at all.

They should not look beyond the cowboys.....wyoming seems to rise to meet the challenge of superior teams......and they're still holding a grudge when Nebraska kidnapped bob devaney.......never forget, a win over nebraska, at nebraska would be the biggest win in wyoming Football history.....i'll take wyoming and 40 points

As with so many early season lines above 25pts much will depend on when we open up the score gap and whether Bo wants to see certain things. Make no mistake about it... Wyoming will be lucky if they get more than 3 punts/turnovers from us before the 4th Q starts. Our offense is going to be scary and multiple and their defensive front will be out-manned at all times if we just want to run power.

I know a lot of people worry about the defense and they should because it is unknown but I have a hunch that our open field tackling will be markedly improved. That to me was always the biggest worry going into games... We did not have LBs that could move side to side, break down and tackle shifty guys... We also got pushed off the line plenty of times mostly because we had ends playing in the middle but this year if VV and TR stay healthy we will not get blasted off the line often (certainly not by Wyoming).

Brett Smith is a fairly sizable yet mobile QB so we better keep an eye on that when we go into nickel (which to me will seem like our base D this year). Smith's issue will be time to throw, I expect a lot of quick throws early to get him into a rhythm especially when they come to the realization that running against us between the tackles will be tough. Hopefully we press cover early to disrupt timing and have a few DEs drop back a few years in a zone to cover the slants... Look for a few knockdowns early if we have active hands.

All in all... if we don't score 50 pts or more it would be a shock... I am looking at 55-17ish...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back