• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How long will Rhule stay at Nebraska?

History says 3 years
I don't think history means much since he was originally moving to get an NFL job with which he has already tried and failed. At this point he isn't looking to move up

I'd like to think that he has found a home in Nebraska and Lincoln (as long as he is winning), but is he likely to give it up for Penn State or some other high profile university?
I don't think we have to be worried about him going to the NFL, so the question is would he leave for a higher profile program. PSU is the obvious choice since he is an alum. The question is whether that job is going to open any time soon. I know some aren't thrilled with Franklin, but they've still performed well in his time there.

Beyond going back there, a lot of it will be dependent on: a) how well we do as a program and b) how appetizing it is for him to stay. If we don't have significant success, he probably isn't getting asked to go to better places. If he does have success, is he going to feel more comfortable staying here or will he have more tools elsewhere.

Either way, I'm not overly concerned. If he gets poached by another program it is probably because we were good, which means things are better than they are now.

He'll be here until he decides to leave or until we no longer want him here. Mystery solved.

What if Rhule makes Nebraska a high-profile team again and doesn't leave? Where do we put his statue once he retires? What buildings will get named after him?
I don't know the answer to any of these questions. I'm still trying to figure out if inside the new Frank Solich locker room if they have the Steve Pederson Toilet. Seems appropriate to me, but maybe I'm still just somewhat bitter after 20 years.

There are plenty of schools that I would consider higher profile than Nebraska, offer more resources, and are in recruiting hotbeds. I would list some of those schools in no particular order; Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, and USC. If one of those schools offered Rhule, I would be very worried about him leaving.
I agree, currently they are higher profile, Clemson, not sure if I would add them to the list. I think I would possibly swap LSU for Clemson or at least add LSU.

Watching the B10 broadcast of the spring game and his participation in the broadcast in the first half, my impression is he is having a ball. He was funny, witty, self-deprecating. If he is successful at putting the Huskers back on the college football map annually his legacy as a winner will be cemented. Particularly if he is able to win the big one and people start mentioning his name along with Coach Osborne. I realize that is a lofty statement and it can take years but I think the guy likes Lincoln. I don't know about any kids in his family but as most of us know nebraska is a great place to be a kid and a great place to raise a family. I'm looking for him to retire as the second winningest coach in Nebraska history.

The biggest question mark with Rhule is can he sustain success. He has come in, took a big step back the first year with roster turnover and playing young players. Had improvement as those players got older. And then left before the next batch took over. And much of the turn-arounds have been because of fortuitous scheduling with a string of 13 or 14 straight losses against ranked opponents.

So, he has something to prove and achieve here. Start beating ranked teams is the first benchmark. Then stay around long enough to prove it can be done over the long haul.

What if Rhule makes Nebraska a high-profile team again and doesn't leave? Where do we put his statue once he retires? What buildings will get named after him?
My only concern is that Rhule seems to like challenges. Once he conquers one he tends to move on to another... especially if it's at a school with similar and/or better resources and easier recruiting. In addiiton, let's say he reaches 9+ wins with Raiola and then Raiola decides to enter the draft. Rhule would undoubtedly be a hot commodity with several offers -- why would he want to come back the next season and risk taking a step backwards with a brand new QB? And then f he does leave, it's likely that a lot of players/recruits will also leave and then we'll be right back where we started. I just plan on enjoying things for the time-being... I don't even want to think about that possibility.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

The original poster referred to other High Profile Univ. Well if Nebr is matching Penn St record at 10-3 for 2 years… it will return to be a High Profile Univ. They are still a too 10 winningest programs. If NU is 10-3,/ 11-2 its as good as there is. Rhule will see that. But ones draw to their own Univ is understandable.
Switching programs to the flavor of the day… georg, alab, ohio st, doesnt mean youll have the management above you in line to work. They turn over every few years, and have hamstrung many top coaches, even our own.
Who would you consider 'top coaches' at NU?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back