• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How is Penn State even competitive these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
I haven't kept up much with exactly what the sanctions against PSU were, but I was thinking that they were almost as bad as the death penalty, itself.

So how is it that they have only seemed to slipped one rung, rather than 4 or 5?

I figured after the sanctions, they wouldn't be deep enough to keep up with most FBS programs. Is this one of the more remarkable coaching jobs in college football, or have I missed something?

The Seniors and Juniors on that team had the opportunity to leave and go anywhere they wanted to go. Most of them didn't.

He is a good enough offensive coordinator to shorten games by working the clock and keeping games close. Qb to TE and a playmaker in Robinson, bulldozer at RB is enough to get you 4 wins in this conference plus your 2 gimmies to start the year gets you 6 wins and a bowl.

They will not be back to full strength that soon. They are still restricted by the 25 per year limit.

It will be 2016 before they're at full strength. And they'll be young.

I think O'Brien is a great leader and coach. One of the better ones in football.

Last edited:
Its two factors, both of which husker fans should take note of:

1) The B1G is a joke. A complete joke.

2) Their coach is very good. Excellent coaches can do excellent things.

There's a ton of misinformation out there about Penn State's situation (e.g., "24 fewer scholarship players than Nebraska").

Penn State's scholarship reductions went into effect this year (class of 2013) and the total scholarship limits don't go into effect until 2014 (per the link below), meaning they haven't had much opportunity to have an impact yet.

This breakdown shows they have 72 scholarship players as of September (or 13 less than a full allotment allowed by the NCAA. Next year would have been the issue, except that part of the NCAA punishment was reduced significantly.

Only the 2012 and 2013 classes were impacted by the scandal (it broke when Sandusky was arrested in Nov '11;
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/scandal/timeline.php)

Look back at the last 6 years of recruiting at PSU. With the exception of 2009, they are signing classes in line with their typical numbers.

By way of contrast, it appears from FLAS's recruiting thread, NU has 83 on scholarship (though I may be reading that wrong).

http://jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

Here's an article on Penn State's scholarship situation. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...caa_calls.html

And there was this program-sapper:**Significant scholarship reductions beginning in 2013 and carrying over for four years. The Lions were limited to bringing in 15 scholarship players a year (instead of the NCAA-max 25) starting with the 2013 class.
Starting in 2014 and continuing through 2017, PSU would be limited to 65 scholarship players instead of the NCAA-allowed 85. Talk about a competitive disadvantage.
But that's all history now.
Former Senator George Mitchell was a major player in this scholarship reversal by the NCAA. It was his recommendation that prompted the change.

Specific to the game this weekend, Penn State and Nebraska started the same number of upperclassmen, though Penn State was significantly more senior on defense.

All those upperclass players were recruited before the scandal even broke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back