• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How is Larry Jacobson not already in the CFHOF?

Actually there were three players on that 1971 defensive line that deserve HOF honors, Glover, Jacobson and John Dutton. By the time he was a senior Dutton was getting double and triple teamed on every play.
I disagree. There were four. DE Willie Harper was amazing to watch and was a first team All American in both 71 and 72, and deserving as well.

I disagree. There were four. DE Willie Harper was amazing to watch and was a first team All American in both 71 and 72, and deserving as well.
What a beastly def. line in 71, Jacobson, Glover, Harper, and a young and budding Dutton. After Mildren picked apart the Huskers, remember Devaney felt they shouldn't have sold out to stop the option pitch-mainly Pruitt.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but listening to that even for just a few seconds reminded me, could there even be a better announcer than Lyell Bremser? And not just for the famous quotes or the big play calls, but for all of it. Description, energy, pace, excitement, colorful language- all of it just right. He doesn't fight the action, he complements it.

For sure there were others as good for other teams but I can't see how any could be better. He's perfect.

And yeah, Jacobson is due.

Thanks for posting that little 5 minute gem @Twelve String. Not sure which I'd enjoy more, my first 5 minutes in Heaven (if I make it that far) or watching this clip again.
Bremser was an icon for most of his years broadcasting Husker games. However, in the twilight of his career, as I listened to his game play by play, I actually wondered if he was broadcasting the same game I was watching in person.

Bremser was an icon for most of his years broadcasting Husker games. However, in the twilight of his career, as I listened to his game play by play, I actually wondered if he was broadcasting the same game I was watching in person.
Same thing happened to Georgia broadcasting legend, Larry Munson. "He handed off to someone at the 30, gain of eight to the 35."

There is no truly good reason, but I think they limit the overall number inducted each year and there were so many superstars off the teams Jacobson was a part of that he flew under the radar a bit. Hope he gets his due!
Ummm... he was our first Outland Trophy winner... The Outland was huge... He kind of got overshadowed at the end of the season by the emergence of Rich Glover in the OU game of century.

My answer is that he was kind of a bust in the NFL without getting the huge publicity that Glover did... Glover was always a misfit for the NFL (had to move to LB, and probably didn't have the skills for that; too small for line and lacking for LB).

Still, other NFL busts have made CFB HoF... You are probably right that he just did not get enough memorable moments or was ultimately overshadowed even though he was good enough to win the Outland... Guess it shows how good Glover, Harper and Atkins were... Jansen was the other starting tackle, and Dutton was a back up as a Sophmore... and Monte Johnson was a backup for Glover... So a couple of strong NFL talents in back up roles!

Has Dutton made the CFB HoF

I got tired of listening to him in 1973... I wasn't the only one. Kind of the ultimate homer... Up until, maybe the early 1980's there were multiple broadcasts and you had a choice of who to listen to. KFAB could simply out bid everyone else for the rights, and when it went exclusive, they did...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back