• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How Big Is Too B1G?

Classic. Perfect cast. I loved Madeline Kahn (R.I.P. 1999)

AUAK.gif

TSSSHHH !! Bride of Frankenstein. Hilarious !!!

You ever watched Blazing Saddles ??

Last edited:

Excellent post imo. With 24 teams you have a football league not a football conference as we know them now. Even the NFL teams play everyone in their divisions TWICE a season. Without divisions you'd have teams that might not play each other for a dozen years or longer? Gotta have divsions for the reasons you've stated or it would be a cluster you know what! Teams might not like the division they land in but that's to bad because they voted to expand.
I dont understand this. Why do you have to have divisions to prevent teams from playing once every 12 years. Divisions tie up scheduling…..not the other way.

If you are talking about BIG/SEC then doing their own playoff, 20 is the number. Anything else dilutes everyone else's $.

If the teams you add included FSU, Miami, Clemson, ND, Washington, and Oregon then those 38 teams will involve every national champion dating back to Army in 1945 with the exception of Colorado/Ga Tech split title and BYU and every playoff team with the exception of Cincinnati. Then it would be hard to argue that you are diluting the championship.

You would still have 2 teams to pick.

If you are looking at not making any major changes in the playoff structure or balance of power, then 16 is already too big.

I dont understand this. Why do you have to have divisions to prevent teams from playing once every 12 years. Divisions tie up scheduling…..not the other way.
I have to agree with your point divisions won't guarantee there won't be a long time before some conference teams play each other. I really want to have a core group of teams we play every year or we'll never build a true rivalry like we had with OU. We saw what happened when to that when OU switched to south division and poof went one of the best rivarlies in college football. No matter how the conference schedule is structured with 20 or more teams it's probably going to be some strange schedules for some teams.

Having divisions with 14 teams has not fixed scheduling inequities. NOT having divisions with 14 or 24 teams is not going to fix scheduling inequities.

16 teams with or without divisions is not going to resolve scheduling inequities but lets say there are 20 teams - two divisions. You'd have 9 divisional games annually and maybe 1 cross-over.. Now one division may be stronger than the other and the 2nd place team in one division may be better than the 1st place team in the other division BUT ... at the end of the day adding more teams is NOT going to make scheduling inequity any better.

I just think the conversations on schedules is not going to get any easier. The more teams there are is going to create more dimensions. BUT ... I cannot imagine a 16-team one division conference is going to have an equitable determination of a champion. Some teams are going to get stuck playing tOSU and other teams will get Rutgers!
Probably cancel 3-6-6 in 2023 schedule (proposed). Back to 2014 thru 2022 .... same West & East division.

2024 schedule (added USC & UCLA) ........ Who knows, divisions or not.

Last edited:
I have to agree with your point divisions won't guarantee there won't be a long time before some conference teams play each other. I really want to have a core group of teams we play every year or we'll never build a true rivalry like we had with OU. We saw what happened when to that when OU switched to south division and poof went one of the best rivarlies in college football. No matter how the conference schedule is structured with 20 or more teams it's probably going to be some strange schedules for some teams.
I agree with some core teams for scheduling purposes.

What good is a conference if you never play the other teams ?
With a 3-6-6 schedule, at least every team will visit your stadium every 4 years.
3 teams you play every year
6 teams you play home/home
The other 6 then rotate in on yr 3

Any more than 16 teams and you'll lose even more of the regional flavor of a conference, which has already happened. 12 team conferences were actually the best #

Having divisions with 14 teams has not fixed scheduling inequities. NOT having divisions with 14 or 24 teams is not going to fix scheduling inequities.

16 teams with or without divisions is not going to resolve scheduling inequities but lets say there are 20 teams - two divisions. You'd have 9 divisional games annually and maybe 1 cross-over.. Now one division may be stronger than the other and the 2nd place team in one division may be better than the 1st place team in the other division BUT ... at the end of the day adding more teams is NOT going to make scheduling inequity any better.

I just think the conversations on schedules is not going to get any easier. The more teams there are is going to create more dimensions. BUT ... I cannot imagine a 16-team one division conference is going to have an equitable determination of a champion. Some teams are going to get stuck playing tOSU and other teams will get Rutgers!
So have a 4 team championship tournament for the conference!

I think we need need to get away from looking at it from the “conference” perspective and think of it as two future leagues that eventually play off at the end of the year.
Like the old Super Bowl, AFL v. NFL. Well, until the B1G and SEC merge.

Need to ditch the term conference. It’s not really that anymore. It’s more like, you play in the northern league, or whatever you’d like to call it. The term Big 10, is stupid and needs to be scrapped, and the same goes for the SEC, although they don’t put a number on theirs. The SEC is also still, somewhat regional. I mean, some of these teams won’t play one another for years. This whole thing is really silly. Nebraska will never again have a rival like Oklahoma was, not even close. That was half the fun. It will just be a mixed bag of teams you just pull out of a hat.

Need to ditch the term conference. It’s not really that anymore. It’s more like, you play in the northern league, or whatever you’d like to call it. The term Big 10, is stupid and needs to be scrapped, and the same goes for the SEC, although they don’t put a number on theirs. The SEC is also still, somewhat regional. I mean, some of these teams won’t play one another for years. This whole thing is really silly. Nebraska will never again have a rival like Oklahoma was, not even close. That was half the fun. It will just be a mixed bag of teams you just pull out of a hat.
Yep. It’s headed the direction of 40-50 super teams that have the ability to control the narrative a little better than 129 teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back