• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How About Just Going for the Win?

Rhule knows it was a bad play call. That's my point. He can't take a bad call and change the trajectory of the "grand scheme" by firing someone. So he took the heat. It's what good leaders do.

A lot of people seem to be fading Rhule after the past couple of weeks. I'll take the other side of that trade. He's making me more confident he's the guy. It's a tough two-game stretch and he's rightfully catching some heat. He even said in his PC that he and Satt deserve criticism.

But he's not whining about hoodies or a lack of talent or that Wistrom and Peter aren't around to motivate the team for him. We are in good hands.
Rhule does a good job in his pressers of taking the blame, but also walking the fine line between being honest with reporters (not just bland coach-speak) and being too honest and having it come across as blaming the players.

I wasn't happy with the call at the time, but as Rhule explained the play in his presser, it should be fairly safe- your seasoned WR (Kemp) runs to the back corner and either hit him for a TD or sail the ball out of bounds and kick the FG. You don't expect him to flatten his route and run to the front pylon. Has he ever done that in practice? Probably not, but for some reason, he did it when it mattered and the Purdy didn't just lob it into the stands.

I'm not trying to kick the players, but at some point dudes have to execute in games, under the lights, in the 4th quarter when it matters.

The problem with some of you arm chair head coaches is that you have the advantage of hindsight which is always 100% correct. Some of you blame Coach Rhule for the interception. Which is just INSANE. The thing to blame is the decision to NOT THROW THE DAMN BALL OUT OF THE ENDZONE ……. NOT THE PLAY CALL. ALL plays are designed to be successful if executed correctly. This play, IF EXECUTED CORRECTLY, would be …… if it’s not open THROW IT OUT OF THE ENDZONE. Situational football which Rhule has emphasized in all the time here.
GET THE POINTS and leave it up to the D.

Last edited:

I'm old enough to remember Bob Devaney say "The Nebraska fans will always support us Win or Tie." It seems many NU coaches have ignored those words.

This.

The coach's job is to win the damn game, not implement his long-term "system."
Yes, and a coach needs to weigh the risks of the play call. One measure of a coach's mettle is game management in critical situations. Not all coaches have what it takes. This wasn't the first time NU botched a 3rd down inside the ten by throwing the ball. Remember the MSU game a couple years ago in Overtime? Martinez threw an INT on 3rd & short allowing MSU to kick a FG for the win. How about the Big 12 Championship Game vs Oklahoma when Taylor Martinez threw an INT in the endzone with NU leading 20-7. I think NU ended up losing 21-20.

I get that it is the kids responsibility to execute but it is the coaches responsibility is to put them in positions to succeed. In all sports they have to consider what play works with the players they have. A play to get a last second shot looks one way with Kobe Bryant or MJ on your team, and totally different if they aren't. We had a third string qb in game 10 taking his first meaningful snaps in a year throwing a corner ball to a 5'8" wide receiver with a freshman who wouldnt even be playing if our offense didnt look like a mash unit in the pattern as well. Forget about the marginal pass blocking we have had all year making the play even less likely to be successful. That play call was disaster waiting to happen and all you had to do was run 3 times from the 5 and kick the field goal to take the lead with less then 2.5 minutes on the clock. Running the ball 3 times there was an absolute no brainer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back