• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How About Just Going for the Win?

The long-term build would have benefited from a short-term win with increased confidence, added practices and a bowl game.
For sure. But it’s just silliness to suggest the staff is not trying to win these games. I think suggesting such things is below the high standards of this esteemed fan forum.

It's like some of you are new to high-level college football. That was all coach-speak, and the purpose was to take some heat of his OC. He's keenly aware of what's being said around the water cooler and a third of the fanbase wanted to see Satterfield canned after the game on Saturday.

Rhule understands that if you want to build something, you can't meet every failure with a firing. If you don't give your staff at least 2 years to show something, you'll never get anyone worth a damn to Lincoln. Maybe some of you haven't noticed, but it's been the place coaching careers go to die for 2 decades.
Thank you for bringing levity to the board. Absolutely astonishing you have to spell it out for the vocal minority.

Thank you for bringing levity to the board. Absolutely astonishing you have to spell it out for the vocal minority.

No, reactionary, me first thoughts are all that is allowed. Man up and win. Your attitude brings down the entire state!

We either fire or back up the truck. nothing in between.

Last edited:

After reading through four pages of posts, I've come to the conclusion it literally all boils down to this: Just win.
Hit the nail on the head. There is a group of folks who operate in digital mode. It’s either good or bad, no in between. If we lose, it’s all bad, the sky is falling, reminds them of Frost, and coaches must be sacrificed on an altar.

If we win, they still think all the above, but they are appeased slightly for the following couple days.

That’s all fine and dandy, but all Rhule did was shoulder the blame. Were you hoping he’d throw Satt under the bus? Maybe call him overpaid? Put him on double secret probation?
Yea... heaven forbid anyone actually take the hit for something they themselves screwed up anymore!

That statement by Rhule bothers me too. Situationally, that single play clearly called for a conservative approach to take what I would argue would be an almost certain win - and not just for that game but for the whole goal of the season. Be developmental on all the rest of the plays after that one for the rest of the year. But win this damn game.

And it's odd to me because I feel he's done a very good job through the year of going for the win, even as he's balanced that with development. For example, all year he's rotated young players in more than I can recall any of our coaches being willing to do before, but not to the point of just writing off the season all for development, like he's talked about having done elsewhere in year one.

I think up to til now he's wrung as many wins as was possible out of who we are and what these players (and these coaches) are capable of, while still developing the team. I've been impressed by him on exactly this point.

I think maybe he said this simply to get the pressure off Satt. And maybe a little off himself too. I'm guessing Satt called it and Rhule concurred or at least didn't object even if he was thinking at the time that the tradeoff between the probability of success and development made it risky even situationally.

If you think about it, Rhule has explicitly thought about the balance on that issue in roughly one million decisions he's already made in this job. He's gotten it right a lot. Nobody's going to get it right all the time. He could well wish he could take this one back. But he's still right that you get development benefit from letting the players play free, including when a lot is on the line.

I think it was a bad call but when everything is said and done all we can do is judge Rhule by where he is topping out in some future year when it's the right time. From what I've seen so far I believe that will be well north of 6 or 7 wins.
Perhaps the best post I've seen this year. Seriously Nut great job. You've encapsulated what many of us feel I think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back