• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How About Just Going for the Win?

That’s hilarious. It’s both, but the long term foundation is more important in year one of a rebuild. His job is to turn the program around, not try to implement a quick fix and try to rebuild every year.

But the reality is, they did what they thought would give the best chance of winning 8n the moment.
The long-term build would have benefited from an short-term win with increased confidence, added practices and a bowl game.

The Seattle Seahawks were going for the win when they threw an interception from the two yard line. Marshawn Lynch would have run it in. Seahawks lose.

What do I think he was doing? Making a VERY poor play call with a third string quarterback and the game on the line. Huskers lose.

No participant ribbons and juice boxes in big time college football.

And if they had run the ball 3 times and kicked the FG, and then Maryland drove down and scored the game winning TD, there would be fans complaining that they got too conservative and that Satterfield is as bad as Brian Ferentz.

this is true in the grand scheme of things. but the problem is, there are certain decisions that are agnostic of where your program is. you will always have programs similar in quality or level. when playing such teams, you do not put your players in risky positions to cost your team the win. even in the nfl, this is absolutely the case. heck, seattle lost a superbowl because they chose to pass the ball on the 2 yard line with their all-world talent.
so, it's the decisions in key moments on offense, not the personnel that's the problem. if you have michigan level talent, and you make that kind of a decision against georgia in the final 4 minutes of a game where an additional postseason game and 15 practices are at stake, it still would be a terrible playcall.

Rhule knows it was a bad play call. That's my point. He can't take a bad call and change the trajectory of the "grand scheme" by firing someone. So he took the heat. It's what good leaders do.

A lot of people seem to be fading Rhule after the past couple of weeks. I'll take the other side of that trade. He's making me more confident he's the guy. It's a tough two-game stretch and he's rightfully catching some heat. He even said in his PC that he and Satt deserve criticism.

But he's not whining about hoodies or a lack of talent or that Wistrom and Peter aren't around to motivate the team for him. We are in good hands.

The Seattle Seahawks were going for the win when they threw an interception from the two yard line. Marshawn Lynch would have run it in. Seahawks lose.

What do I think he was doing? Making a VERY poor play call with a third string quarterback and the game on the line. Huskers lose.

No participant ribbons and juice boxes in big time college football.
Fair enough. I disagree. I think it was the right call after two botched running plays. It just didn't work.

Rhule knows it was a bad play call. That's my point. He can't take a bad call and change the trajectory of the "grand scheme" by firing someone. So he took the heat. It's what good leaders do.

A lot of people seem to be fading Rhule after the past couple of weeks. I'll take the other side of that trade. He's making me more confident he's the guy. It's a tough two-game stretch and he's rightfully catching some heat. He even said in his PC that he and Satt deserve criticism.

But he's not whining about hoodies or a lack of talent or that Wistrom and Peter aren't around to motivate the team for him. We are in good hands.
To be clear. I'm not asking for anyone to be fired. I just disagree with some of the things Rhule says and his philosophy behind it. If you don't take coach speak into account (as some of you have mentioned), it seems like he'd make the same call again. That part alarms me.

I've been thinking about this and I truly think, at this stage, Rhule is more invested in building his culture than he is in wins and losses. I'm a huge OKC Thunder fan and it reminds me a little bit of what they're doing. They tanked for a couple of years but now have built up a good core of young talent but they are still in the building phase. Coach D tinkers with lineups, they are trying to see what they have instead of going all in on signing or trading for a veteran(s). They have a plan and they are sticking to it. I believe Rhule is the same way. His goal is to be a better football team next year, then by year 3 or 4 be ready to compete at a high level in the Big Ten. It's worked for him in the past and so he is keeping the same blueprint. There are going to bumps in the road but he feels safe with Trev and the boosters so he is doing it patiently. We can criticize it but it's what we are going to go through for the next 2 or 3 years when hopefully his plan works out.

I don't like some of his hires on the offensive side of the ball. I think paying it safe on Saturday and play for the field goal would have been the right move but he has his convictions. Maybe they are trying to appeal to recruits (QBs, TEs, and WRs) by showing them what the offense will look like instead of playing to the strengths (and avoiding the weaknesses) of the current personnel. The only thing I would do is really try to get that 6th win because those 15 extra practices are invaluable to a building team. He knows what he is doing as evident in his stops at Temple and Baylor.

Except that isn't what the coach said
He pretty much did say that. Described the call and that it was a safe call to the corner of the end zone, if he catches it boom if not it goes out of bounds. Obviously the play broke down and the interception happens. He repeated it more than once, so yeah that's the play they felt good going with.

I may not agree with you every time, but I totally agree with this!^

To be clear. I'm not asking for anyone to be fired. I just disagree with some of the things Rhule says and his philosophy behind it. If you don't take coach speak into account (as some of you have mentioned), it seems like he'd make the same call again. That part alarms me.
I think he'd like that call back. He did say in the press conference that he doesn't want everything to revolve around not making mistakes. Make a play.

That statement by Rhule bothers me too. Situationally, that single play clearly called for a conservative approach to take what I would argue would be an almost certain win - and not just for that game but for the whole goal of the season. Be developmental on all the rest of the plays after that one for the rest of the year. But win this damn game.

And it's odd to me because I feel he's done a very good job through the year of going for the win, even as he's balanced that with development. For example, all year he's rotated young players in more than I can recall any of our coaches being willing to do before, but not to the point of just writing off the season all for development, like he's talked about having done elsewhere in year one.

I think up to til now he's wrung as many wins as was possible out of who we are and what these players (and these coaches) are capable of, while still developing the team. I've been impressed by him on exactly this point.

I think maybe he said this simply to get the pressure off Satt. And maybe a little off himself too. I'm guessing Satt called it and Rhule concurred or at least didn't object even if he was thinking at the time that the tradeoff between the probability of success and development made it risky even situationally.

If you think about it, Rhule has explicitly thought about the balance on that issue in roughly one million decisions he's already made in this job. He's gotten it right a lot. Nobody's going to get it right all the time. He could well wish he could take this one back. But he's still right that you get development benefit from letting the players play free, including when a lot is on the line.

I think it was a bad call but when everything is said and done all we can do is judge Rhule by where he is topping out in some future year when it's the right time. From what I've seen so far I believe that will be well north of 6 or 7 wins.
Here here! Well stated and to the point! GBR

It's like some of you are new to high-level college football. That was all coach-speak, and the purpose was to take some heat of his OC. He's keenly aware of what's being said around the water cooler and a third of the fanbase wanted to see Satterfield canned after the game on Saturday.

Rhule understands that if you want to build something, you can't meet every failure with a firing. If you don't give your staff at least 2 years to show something, you'll never get anyone worth a damn to Lincoln. Maybe some of you haven't noticed, but it's been the place coaching careers go to die for 2 decades.
If our OC isn’t one of the best around why the hell are we paying him 1.4 million? Does he still need to be schooled by Rhule about calling plays? It was the WRONG call for several good reasons which have been elaborated on by people a lot more football savvy than myself. Had we had a experienced excellent QB and some very good WR’s perhaps you give that pass play a try. Sadly we had just the opposite situation! I totally disagree in that running that play probably lost (no nothing is guaranteed) that game. IMO failure builds nothing but frustration while it erodes the teams confidence.

If our OC isn’t one of the best around why the hell are we paying him 1.4 million? Does he still need to be schooled by Rhule about calling plays? It was the WRONG call for several good reasons which have been elaborated on by people a lot more football savvy than myself. Had we had a experienced excellent QB and some very good WR’s perhaps you give that pass play a try. Sadly we had just the opposite situation! I totally disagree in that running that play probably lost (no nothing is guaranteed) that game. IMO failure builds nothing but frustration while it erodes the teams confidence.
That’s all fine and dandy, but all Rhule did was shoulder the blame. Were you hoping he’d throw Satt under the bus? Maybe call him overpaid? Put him on double secret probation?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back