• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Harrison Philips to Announce Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be better options, but if they let an in state kid get out of Nebraska that could look bad. NU can't even close on an in state kid? Could be used against the staff by other schools.

If he chooses Stanford he chooses academics not athletics. More tradition at Nebraska but Stanford's hard to beat in the classroom.

If he chooses Stanford he chooses academics not athletics. More tradition at Nebraska but Stanford's hard to beat in the classroom.
Do you pay attention to football outside of Nebraska? Stanford over the last 6 or so years is a superior football school over NU. More NFL players, one of the top 5-8 coaches in CFB, great defense the last several years, more conference championships, BCS bowls, there probably isn't one thing NU can sell football wise regarding results.

And the discussion about tradition is so overblown. Kids don't care about tradition as much as you think and why would they? Why would you want to go to Minnesota cuz they won like 20 championships from 1920-1950. That's tradition! Do you realize that the kids we are currently recruiting were born in 1996-1997? Unless they grew up NU fans (which in this case Phillips did but im speaking more generally)most have no clue we even won national championships in the 1990s until they get on campus? Tradition is a selling point once you get kids on campus and is comparatively a very small factor in their decision; it's about the last 3-4 years of on field results and Stanford has us beat in that category which means if he does chose Stanford, it would be both academic and athletic decision. If he chooses NU, it's a loyalty decision.

Do you pay attention to football outside of Nebraska? Stanford over the last 6 or so years is a superior football school over NU. More NFL players, one of the top 5-8 coaches in CFB, great defense the last several years, more conference championships, BCS bowls, there probably isn't one thing NU can sell football wise regarding results.

And the discussion about tradition is so overblown. Kids don't care about tradition as much as you think and why would they? Why would you want to go to Minnesota cuz they won like 20 championships from 1920-1950. That's tradition! Do you realize that the kids we are currently recruiting were born in 1996-1997? Unless they grew up NU fans (which in this case Phillips did but im speaking more generally)most have no clue we even won national championships in the 1990s until they get on campus? Tradition is a selling point once you get kids on campus and is comparatively a very small factor in their decision; it's about the last 3-4 years of on field results and Stanford has us beat in that category which means if he does chose Stanford, it would be both academic and athletic decision. If he chooses NU, it's a loyalty decision.

Not necessarily just loyalty. Geographic as well. Sometimes athletes choose to stay close to home so their parents can see them play more often. While Stanford can offer the student a full ride, they can't transport parents to and from games.

There might be better options, but if they let an in state kid get out of Nebraska that could look bad. NU can't even close on an in state kid? Could be used against the staff by other schools.

With all due respect if that tried to get used against us it would get shot down pretty quickly. Even though I think Phillips should be rated above Gifford, all the staff would have to do is pull up the Rivals list and show that we got the top 3 kids in-state to commit to 10th and Vine.

So, question for the board. Does his dad losing his job help or hurt us? I think it helps in the instance that they may not want to pick up and move, family is all around to watch HP play. But it also could hurt because I bet they are knowing what kind of education Stanford is in the job world, also they are able to make a move with nothing really holding them here.

I'm going to guess he chooses Nebraska based on the timing of his tweet. He had been talking up Stanford a lot lately but i'm going to guess the Huskers. I think he would have waited to announce a little longer if it was Stanford.

Not necessarily just loyalty. Geographic as well. Sometimes athletes choose to stay close to home so their parents can see them play more often. While Stanford can offer the student a full ride, they can't transport parents to and from games.
yes for sure, that's what I meant by loyalty too. Loyalty to his his fandom, family, state-that type of thing is what I was attempting to encompass

Not so sure about that.

Stanford...2010: 12-1 (Orange Bowl win), 2011: 11-2 (Fiesta Bowl birth), 2012: 12-2 (Rose Bowl win)

No offense Husker fans, but Stanford would have owned Nebraska the past 3 years. Kids today dont care about the 90's. Kids who are being recruited now, only think about who was good since Middle School. Before that it may as well have been 50 years ago.

Not so sure about that.

Stanford...2010: 12-1 (Orange Bowl win), 2011: 11-2 (Fiesta Bowl birth), 2012: 12-2 (Rose Bowl win)

No offense Husker fans, but Stanford would have owned Nebraska the past 3 years. Kids today dont care about the 90's. Kids who are being recruited now, only think about who was good since Middle School. Before that it may as well have been 50 years ago.

Exactly. Stanford is seen today as a consistent top ten team. A team capable of competing for the national title (which, I believe, they are more than just a dark horse this coming season; their defense will be one of the best in the nation). And to top it off, the Cardinal consistently stop the run. #5 nationally last season in rush defense. #3 the season prior. Heck, they held Oregon's offense to 14 points last season (and Wisconsin as well -- the game after they throttled the Huskers)! Stanford is the real deal. Nebraska is a team trying to return to the days of being nationally relevant. Stanford is already there.

Well that cinches it! Alabama will win the NC 17 years in a row, Stanford will beat USC 12 times in a row & make them join the WAC, & NU might as well give up football & put all their money behind women's v-ball. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Stanford is seen today as a consistent top ten team. A team capable of competing for the national title (which, I believe, they are more than just a dark horse this coming season; their defense will be one of the best in the nation). And to top it off, the Cardinal consistently stop the run. #5 nationally last season in rush defense. #3 the season prior. Heck, they held Oregon's offense to 14 points last season (and Wisconsin as well -- the game after they throttled the Huskers)! Stanford is the real deal. Nebraska is a team trying to return to the days of being nationally relevant. Stanford is already there.

i was skeptical of Shaw, but he is maintaining and arguably even improving that program. Pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back