• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great guys for Frost

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I have been watching a few old games. It got me to thinking who would have been great in HCSF offense. At the end of the Pelini start of the Riley era there were quite a few. Abdullah is a given. However there were others. It would have been fun to see K Bell as a Duck R. Interestingly even though I think that Westy was a better WR than K Bell I do not think he would fit. Another good one would have been DPE. BTW I tried to keep it to Offense and since 2010. However I know the thread will go where it goes.

Any others you can think of?

I forgot one. I think that Armstrong may have been OK in the offense as well. He had a decent arm. TMart would not have made the cut.

I think DPE is a given - he would've made a great Duck-R.
T-Mart as a WR/Duck-R player would've been electric.
I'm not as high on Kenny Bell … good hands, did not have that electric speed … but he still would've been a rotation WR.

Id take Tommy Armstrong over Taylor Martinez in this offense FWIW
I would, too. Armstrong had more wiggle to him, and seemed more durable overall. Martinez was a turnover waiting to happen, and the QB Frost's offense needs to take care of the football. Armstrong had his problems as well, but it looked like he was well on his way to a promising career as a freshman and sophomore. Like most players on the team, he somehow didn't show much improvement in 2015-2016 (and others into 2017). It's really puzzling what happened during that time.

Martinez would have been an OK quarterback in this offense. Verduzco seems less concerned about having a perfect throwing motion - he's ok with some improvisation in arm angles - so maybe that wouldn't have plagued Martinez as much as it did. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would think he could be a receiver/running back. He wasn't very shifty (with some exceptions), especially in tight spaces. And I don't know that he would have been a good route runner, and I would have been pleasantly surprised if he had good hands.

Martinez was good, but he had more limitations than Armstrong. The only thing he had on Armstrong, IMO, was that straight-line speed. And maybe that's enough... I don't know.

Much better that TA, and TM got better every year. Check the stats, Tm was a much better passer, runner too.
Figures lie and liars figure. (Not calling you a liar just using the old phrase. ) If you look at the two side by side in the old games TA had a lot more WR drop passes than TM. You could argue that was because TA threw the ball too hard sometimes. That is a lot easier to fix by a coach like MV than is the off balance shot-put that TM threw. So again we are not talking about who was the better player. Rather who was the better fit. No question that TM was a better over all player/athlete. I just do not think he fits this offense as a QB. Not a hit on him at all.

Figures lie and liars figure. (Not calling you a liar just using the old phrase. ) If you look at the two side by side in the old games TA had a lot more WR drop passes than TM. You could argue that was because TA threw the ball too hard sometimes. That is a lot easier to fix by a coach like MV than is the off balance shot-put that TM threw. So again we are not talking about who was the better player. Rather who was the better fit. No question that TM was a better over all player/athlete. I just do not think he fits this offense as a QB. Not a hit on him at all.

Why is the passing form relevant? AM may have looked ugly but the ball got to where it needed to get (as the numbers prove). Also, with this offense, he would have had simple reads and easier throws. However, i would question if he was quick enough on the blink to thrive. That would basically determine if he was successful or not, as Mario has even coached his charges to throw from off angles, just get the ball where it needs to be.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back