• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Graduate Transfer OL Brandon Kennedy

The kid weighs 305 pounds. If we need him to play tackle, he can play tackle. He would be an asset to the Cornhuskers.
Center is a more specialized position on the O-Line than Guard or Tackle which tend to be more 'swappable' between them. Aside from getting your snaps (shotgun, etc.) 'synchronized' with the QB, you have to be more focused with QB cadence and QB verbal queues/adjustments since the Center technically 'starts' the play. Center guys are less 'swappable' to other positions on the line because they are more specialized on the line. A good Center is not going to 'float around' on the O-line if he's a good Center. Guard and Tackle are much more 'swappable' positions to each other than Center.
Someone earlier in this Thread posted that he played Guard, but I think he actually played Center or more recently played Center. Wish we could get Kennedy's attention.

Last edited:

IMO, Saban would benefit more if that rule didn't exist. He could probably have the pick of the litter in his conference if everyone was free to go where ever.
Could be, but when you have top 3 classes every year odds are your grad transfers will be better than most others over time. Chances are Saban could have had a large % of Tennessee’s class out of HS if he wanted them.

LOL Saban all of a sudden concerned about sticking to the letter of the law and following rules.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nick-saban...sec-rules-comes-grad-transfers-190641695.html
From the way it sounds in the URL, Saban could choose to let him transfer but he is hiding behind a 'non-binding' rule within the SEC that says Grads cannot transfer within the SEC. I think Saban wants to publicly convey that he is not the hurdle, but in reality he wants to be the hurdle. I don't think he sees any gain from allowing a Grad to transfer to another SEC school other than the Grad's happiness; Sabas sees only loss in skills, loss in depth, and loss in playbook leakage. He's taking the 'what's in it for me' attitude. I think he's only willing to let him go if he considers the Grad a bad investment, and would rather let him be somebody else's bad investment.

Last edited:
Center is a more specialized position on the O-Line than Guard or Tackle which tend to be more 'swappable' between them. Aside from getting your snaps (shotgun, etc.) 'synchronized' with the QB, you have to be more focused with QB cadence and QB verbal queues/adjustments since the Center technically 'starts' the play. Center guys are less 'swappable' to other positions on the line because they are more specialized on the line. A good Center is not going to 'float around' on the O-line if he's a good Center. Guard and Tackle are much more 'swappable' positions to each other than Center.
Someone earlier in this Thread posted that he played Guard, but I think he actually played Center or more recently played Center. Wish we could get Kennedy's attention.

Cole Conrad started at C 2017 after starting at RT at the end of 2016. With Decker gone one of the leading contenders at C for 2018 is the 2017 starter at RG Tanner Farmer.

From the way it sounds in the URL, Saban could choose to let him transfer but he is hiding behind a 'non-binding' rule within the SEC that says Grads cannot transfer within the SEC. I think Saban wants to publicly convey that he is not the hurdle, but in reality he wants to be the hurdle. I don't think he sees any gain from allowing a Grad to transfer to another SEC school other than the Grad's happiness; Sabas sees only loss in skills, loss in depth, and loss in playbook leakage. He's taking the 'what's in it for me' attitude. I think he's only willing to let him go if he considers the Grad a bad investment, and would rather let him be somebody else's bad investment.
Yes, Saban could, and I believe has, allow a transfer in conference. If the university had no discretion, they wouldn’t have a formal appeal process to achieve that result.

I don’t have a problem, per se, with a school having some say in an undergrad transfer. However, a grad transfer IMO has earned the right to do what they want. Now, this situation is more complex since he graduated in 3, but giving Alabama this type of power almost assumes that the kid was guaranteed a scholarship next year, which of course he was not.

I personally disagree. Grad transfers (or any other transfers for that matter) should not be allowed to transfer in conference or to a school who is on the schedule. I don't want NFL type free agency in college football.
Want in one hand poop in the other see which one fills up first. Players will get more freedom sooner rather than later.

I don't understand all business about graduates being allowed to transfer more liberally than non-graduates. Heck, graduates should be disallowed to play at all, rather than allowing them to pick and choose their next suitor. All of this rhetoric about who gets to control the GT market, is just a waste of good brain cells.

I hope Kennedy ends up in Lincoln, then I will agree to the whole GT idea. ;)

Last edited:
I don't understand all business about graduates being allowed to transfer more liberally than non-graduates. Heck, graduates should be disallowed to play at all, rather than allowing them to pick and choose their next suitor. All of this rhetoric about who gets to control the GT market, is just a waste of good brain cells.

I hope Kennedy ends up in Lincoln, then I will agree to the whole GT idea. ;)
You'd prefer that kids slow play their education so they can play an extra year or two instead of continuing on with their education?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back