• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Gator Bowl 2014 - Chance to make a statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were up by 16 points late in the 4th quarter against Wyoming this season before they put up a couple of meaningless scores, yet you seemed upset by that game. I'm confused on how you evaluate such things.

Not to nit pik...but when a team scores a TD to get within 3 points with a minute and a half to go...that's not meaningless. As NU proved against NW...miracles happen. If Wyo gets an onside kick...there's a whole lotta puckering up going on all of a sudden. Far from meaningless.

When you let an inferior team stay/get within 1 score you are playing with fire.

Last edited:

Loss >3 pts = pathetic, inexcusable blowout

anything else = make excuses for the opponent and minimize so it's actually considered a loss

Or

Loss < 40 points = hard fought, tough game that NU would have won if not for injuries or the refs being against us

anything else = prop up the opponents and exaggerate the accomplishments so it's considered on par with Bama and Oregon

Not to nit pik...but when a team scores a TD to get within 3 points with a minute and a half to go...that's not meaningless. As NU proved against NW...miracles happen. If Wyo gets an onside kick...there's a whole lotta puckering up going on all of a sudden. Far from meaningless.

When you let an inferior team stay/get within 1 score you are playing with fire.

Wyoming actually got the ball with 1:07 left down 3 points.

I agree that it's a great opportunity to make a statement, but I don't want to put too much stock in one game. Losing Avery Moss for the game certainly hurts our run defense against Gurley, but I think we'll still be ok. Should be another good game like last season.

Speaking of last year's bowl game, do you think that differential (14 pts) constitutes a close game because of meaningless scores by Georgia late in the game, or do you consider it a blowout? We were up by 16 points late in the 4th quarter against Wyoming this season before they put up a couple of meaningless scores, yet you seemed upset by that game. I'm confused on how you evaluate such things.

In last year's bowl game Georgia pretty much slept through much of it...whenever they needed to they scored with long plays...I think they expected us to roll over for them given the obvious mismatch, but we kept fighting. Ultimately, they simply turned it on early in the 4th quarter to blow us away...a one touchdown game can turn around quickly, so they added one to be safe...there were no meaningless scores in that game, heck, their last score was with 11 minutes left in the game. Once they decided to put us away, they did...easy peasy. As for Wyoming, we were never safe in that game and their TD's were not meaningless...as porous as our defense was, they still had time to win after their last score. Sad to say, but predictably we struggled mightily with a very bad team that day.

UGA did not blow Nebraska out last year.

They did take complete control over the final 20 or so minutes, though.

I agree, though I don't know if I'd say the took COMPLETE control. But they did fight back in the third quarter and finally took the lead in the 4th after Abdullah's fumble (remember, we were putting together a nice little drive late in the 3rd).

Regardless, we agree that it was not a blowout loss. Nebraska hung tough for a while, which shocked a lot of people after the debacle in Indy.

And meaningless scores by UGA at the end of the game last year? Did I misinterpret that?

I was just trying to get GFOA's take on what he considered a meaningless TD. He suggests that if Nebraska pulled within 10 late in the game, it would still be considered a "blowout" because it would be garbage points. As you said (and I agree), crazier stuff has happened. I was trying to get some clarification from him.

And he confirmed exactly what I suspected. It's quite the double standard. Apparently, Georgia could have put Nebraska away at any time last year, but I guess they were having fun being behind late in the second half.

Most folks thought Wyoming was put away when they were down by 16 in the 4th quarter. Heck, I even started heading for the exits (it was hotter than hell that day, and I was dehydrated) before I had to stop and finish watching the game. It ended up closer than it needed to be.

Here are some quotes from the game thread before Martinez threw his obligatory interception:
WY is completely gassed............... now the games over!!
Wyoming is gassed! They just want this beating to end
Why cant we have a back up QB go in and hand off?
Absolutely.
rest Martinez and get the backups some snaps!
Please let Armstrong get some snaps

Regardless, we agree that it was not a blowout loss. Nebraska hung tough for a while, which shocked a lot of people after the debacle in Indy.

The game could have been a blowout any time Georgia wanted it to become one, they were disallusioned after missing the NC game. NU was clearly focused after the Wisconsin embarrassment. Georgia turned on the jets whenever needed...racked up nearly 600 yards and DID NOT tack on anything late in the game, last scoring with 11 minutes remaining. Nothing meaningless, now if NU had somehow scored again in those last 11 minutes, Georgia would have struck again with another lightening strike.

There is no double-standard, if we lose by 10 in a game which is close throughout the game it is just a loss. What I mean by losing by 10 if we score late points is if Georgia is ahead by...say 20 points throughout most of the game, then we kick a FG with 6-8 minutes to go, then score a meaningless TD as time runs out, THAT 10 point loss is far different than one where we were in the game all the way.

Some of you think it's a badge of honor for Nebraska to play a game close for 3 quarters against a decent team...it means NOTHING if they hand us our arse in the 4th quarter to put the game on ice.

Most folks thought Wyoming was put away when they were down by 16 in the 4th quarter. Heck, I even started heading for the exits (it was hotter than hell that day, and I was dehydrated) before I had to stop and finish watching the game. It ended up closer than it needed to be.

Hard to believe you thought the Wyoming TD's were meaningless, when they still could have won the game. BTW, if NU had scored in the 4th against Georgia, those points would not have been meaningless either, provided there was more than 30 seconds or so left.

Last edited:
I will never discount the motivation factor in bowl games. Georgia was in a total letdown, less-interested scenario in last season's bowl game. When they needed to turn it on, they did.

Otherwise, if motivated....

Georgia would have won 428 to 3. UGA would have scored 430, but failed on a two point conversion late.

I will never discount the motivation factor in bowl games. Georgia was in a total letdown, less-interested scenario in last season's bowl game. When they needed to turn it on, they did.

Otherwise, if motivated....

Georgia would have won 428 to 3. UGA would have scored 430, but failed on a two point conversion late.

Obviously

I think this is a good test. There is no excuse for losing badly. A well played close loss would be fine. But I think there is a good chance we win. And I hold out hope for a convincing statement type win. Tommy and the youngsters on D have all had a good break and set of practices to consolidate their learning and their gains. If we play very well and win by a couple of scores my koolaid cup will be full heading into next year.

I thought NU played pretty well against Georgia last year. As has been said, we were tied going into the fourth quarter when Georgia got the go ahead score. We were still in the game (down a TD) until Murray burned us on the missed blitz for an 87-yard TD with 11 minutes left. That was when NU rolled over.

It would definitely be nice to win this game and get some positive momentum for the offseason. I don't think much good will come from a loss, even a close one, although that would certainly beat getting blown off the field.

Last edited:

Of course we are. Bo is the most consistent head coach in the history of college football. He loses four....and only four.....and always four.....games each and every year. We are already at our four loss quota for this year. So there is NO WAY that Nebraska can lose on Wednesday.

We're going to win! :huskerflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back