• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frosty Returns?

No I'm saying you think our coaches did everything right to win 12 games because you don't blame them for anything. I'm not praising last years coordinator. He was 102 in total offense. I'm trying to figure out why you have such a man crush on the 121 ranked coordinator that you have to blame everything on the quarterbacks. There is rarely a thread that goes by that you aren't bringing up the turnovers by the quarterbacks as the reason for our failure last year. Well, I blame the coaches for not fixing it.

As for the one play example. Well, I concentrated on the first half of the first game to use the example you asked me to state. I'm not going to list the other 100 or so just so you can come up with another 100 excuses.
Well, definitely not the first time, but you're dead wrong. What I saw our coaches doing was transitioning to the talent on hand all season long, a couple rbs here, a couple wrs there, a couple O linemen over there and we were winning until HH got too beaten up, we became too thin and we kept turning the ball over in close games.

As for Satt, I like many here feel we haven't seen his capabilities other than the ones I just said. Keeping up happened, and with a wr at rb, a walk on at wr, Young O linemen stepping up and still all but leading the nation in turnovers, its a tough call on what to expect from Satt.

But you've told me, but I can't accept that. If thats some weird man crush thing, you must be bored.

Well, definitely not the first time, but you're dead wrong. What I saw our coaches doing was transitioning to the talent on hand all season long, a couple rbs here, a couple wrs there, a couple O linemen over there and we were winning until HH got too beaten up, we became too thin and we kept turning the ball over in close games.

As for Satt, I like many here feel we haven't seen his capabilities other than the ones I just said. Keeping up happened, and with a wr at rb, a walk on at wr, Young O linemen stepping up and still all but leading the nation in turnovers, its a tough call on what to expect from Satt.

But you've told me, but I can't accept that. If thats some weird man crush thing, you must be bored.
I'm not bored. I'm sick. Sick of you blaming quarterbacks for Satt not getting them ready or calling plays to reduce the risk. I'm not expecting either the coaches or the Quarterbacks to go error free but I am expecting the coaches to stop putting them in a position to turn it over in so many close games as you have stated.

Oh and to give credit to the coaches for transitioning to our talent on hand all season long? Who did Sat transition to that wasn't because of an injury? He was forced to make all those decisions. Don't continue your man crush on him making up Kool-Aid for what he was forced to do as if he was some great developer of talent half way through the season on guys like Coleman. Even as bad as our quarterbacks were playing it was still injury led substitutions in almost all cases.

I'm not bored. I'm sick. Sick of you blaming quarterbacks for Satt not getting them ready or calling plays to reduce the risk. I'm not expecting either the coaches or the Quarterbacks to go error free but I am expecting the coaches to stop putting them in a position to turn it over in so many close games as you have stated.

Oh and to give credit to the coaches for transitioning to our talent on hand all season long? Who did Sat transition to that wasn't because of an injury? He was forced to make all those decisions. Don't continue your man crush on him making up Kool-Aid for what he was forced to do as if he was some great developer of talent half way through the season on guys like Coleman. Even as bad as our quarterbacks were playing it was still injury led substitutions in almost all cases.
Be sick, very very sick. Where'd Chubba end up? JS? Let me know.
Oh, and as I said, CT leaving Hurt us, see where he landed.
Yes, it's me

Ultimately, I think it’s not an either-or situation. Satt did not make some adjustments he should have, AND our QB play was poor. Rhule seems to agree, as he brought in new QBs and a new Co-OC / QB coach.

By addressing both gaps, hopefully we will see real improvements on the field in the next couple of seasons.

Ultimately, I think it’s not an either-or situation. Satt did not make some adjustments he should have, AND our QB play was poor. Rhule seems to agree, as he brought in new QBs and a new Co-OC / QB coach.

By addressing both gaps, hopefully we will see real improvements on the field in the next couple of seasons.
Understand, MR wanted a qb coach from day one. MR knew what he needed, Satt knew what they needed. To me this is a credit to the entire staff, including Satt.

Hardly supports the belief that Whipple got away from Smoothers success to move to an unprepared Chubba. I’m not sure of the man crush many are having with Chubba. Seems fans are all wanting to build him up as something Rhule screwed up on by not forcing him to stay here.

As for whipple. He was retooling the offense just as Sat was. He had us at 102 to 121 for Sat in total offense while scoring almost 5 points a game more. Getting those 5 points this year would have had us at 9-3. Now I’m not dumb enough to not consider different schedules and other factors but the truth of the matter Whipple right now isn’t the worst OC in our history.
Lots of different points to address.

I believe much of the man crush on Chubba is the success his brother Brock is having in the NFL as Mr. Irrelevant. BP's success is a narrative that keeps CP in the forefront of people's mind.

Whipple wasn't retooling the offense ... he IMPOSED his offense on a team ill-suited to run his offense. He had an offensive line built for an RPO style offense that all of the sudden had to run an NFL style passing offense. He demanded control of the QB play - he didn't even allow Haarberg in the QB room? Arrogant and clueless. We lost the Purdue, Minnesota and Wisconsin games due to piss poor playing call and ineptness on the offensive side of the ball. At least Satterfield modified his play calling due to poor QB play (turnovers), lack of playmakers at RB and WR.

I am not going to get into a statistical comparison because it really isn't transferrable in this discussion ... bottom line - please identify an OC who was worse .... there isn't one.

Lots of different points to address.

I believe much of the man crush on Chubba is the success his brother Brock is having in the NFL as Mr. Irrelevant. BP's success is a narrative that keeps CP in the forefront of people's mind.

Whipple wasn't retooling the offense ... he IMPOSED his offense on a team ill-suited to run his offense. He had an offensive line built for an RPO style offense that all of the sudden had to run an NFL style passing offense. He demanded control of the QB play - he didn't even allow Haarberg in the QB room? Arrogant and clueless. We lost the Purdue, Minnesota and Wisconsin games due to piss poor playing call and ineptness on the offensive side of the ball. At least Satterfield modified his play calling due to poor QB play (turnovers), lack of playmakers at RB and WR.

I am not going to get into a statistical comparison because it really isn't transferrable in this discussion ... bottom line - please identify an OC who was worse .... there isn't one.
The jury is still out on Satt. I saw very little improvements and play calling lost us several games last year. It’s hard to ignore how terrible our offense was last year and not to remember the turnovers. All teams have some. We were about 1 to 1.5 more than most. But even giving it up 1.5 times more an effective analysis recognizes we were crappy in between turnovers.

The jury is still out on Satt. I saw very little improvements and play calling lost us several games last year. It’s hard to ignore how terrible our offense was last year and not to remember the turnovers. All teams have some. We were about 1 to 1.5 more than most. But even giving it up 1.5 times more an effective analysis recognizes we were crappy in between turnovers.
Satt & Rhule brought in their QB.
Whipple brought in two - Thompson and Purdy.

Satt was saddled with 3 error prone QBs ... they moved on from their chosen QB to two over-matched underwhelming QBs. At least he tried something new and different. Satterfield (and Whipple for that matter) can't be blamed entirely for turnovers ... there are some things you can do with practice and some things you can do with play calling but turnovers at the end of the day has a higher responsibility assigned to the player - not the coordinator.

The difference between Satterfield and Whipple is Satterfield had a governor put upon him by Rhule .... they didn't run the offense he wanted to because he didn't have the personnel to run it ... Whipple on the other hand kept putting players (like Purdy) into situations because it fit the style of offense he wanted to run.

Satt & Rhule brought in their QB.
Whipple brought in two - Thompson and Purdy.

Satt was saddled with 3 error prone QBs ... they moved on from their chosen QB to two over-matched underwhelming QBs. At least he tried something new and different. Satterfield (and Whipple for that matter) can't be blamed entirely for turnovers ... there are some things you can do with practice and some things you can do with play calling but turnovers at the end of the day has a higher responsibility assigned to the player - not the coordinator.

The difference between Satterfield and Whipple is Satterfield had a governor put upon him by Rhule .... they didn't run the offense he wanted to because he didn't have the personnel to run it ... Whipple on the other hand kept putting players (like Purdy) into situations because it fit the style of offense he wanted to run.
I’m not in total disagreement in most of that. We can’t be black and white in our arguments. I think you are being a little generous to satt saying he moved on two quarterbacks. He moved on them because he was forced to do to injuries.

As far as Purdy. I’m not sure I believe he was forced into an offense not designed for him. Pass happy? Yes. They moved him around in the pocket and he still looked terrible. I get it trying to make a pocket passer a run oriented quarterback. That’s a bad fit.

My biggest problem in regards to blaming the quarterbacks is that it’s been happening for about 10 years. None of our quarterbacks are ever improving. We saw Tommy drop off in Riley’s second year. We saw AM drop off in his second and preceding years and we saw an accumulation of drop off in Satts first year.

In 10 years I think we should be able to stop excusing away our quarterback development with it them not being the right fit. If they rely on DRs god given talent and don’t develop him and he falls off like AM did than I feel sorry for Dylan.

JS came in turnover prone, not sure what he showed in practice? He was later given mother chances and failed miserably. That left HH. Between defenses figuring us out and HH's tendencies HH was then wore down and hurt, so Chubba comes in shows a good running qb can win games but Chubba is not HH and he couldn't get past stacking the box.
You saw no spies on Chubba like you did with HH.

If we'd chosen to pass more we may have set a record in interceptions or been close.

What the team looked like was not having two of your slicks on race day.

Some interesting logic here. Our offense was poor last year, therefore Satt must be a bad coach. And anyone who suggests the play of the offense was negatively impacted by anything relating to the actual players is "out of bounds". Yet, our offense was bad before Satt got here and had been for several years. Some argue that our QB play over the last 10 years never improved year to year. (A questionable assertion.) So, how is it possible that Satt is the root cause of the offenses struggles in 2023?

I guess the argument is he wasn't able to "prepare" the same QB's to excel under a new system day one. But these same QB's, under the 2 prior coaches, couldn't sniff the field. One of them was considered such a wash at QB, he was moved to TE during the Spring? He only ended up our starter when our transfer QB couldn't stop throwing interceptions (which he did at his last school as well), and the other QB was injured. Further, Satt wasn't able to make the 4th string RB look like a first string RB mid season after injuries hit the RB room? And let's not forget Satt couldn't make the freshmen WR's look like senior WR's after key injuries to the more experienced WR's?

Satt may or may not be the OC we want or need. But judging him based on 2023, with the limitations placed on him by the offensive roster, including injuries and talent deficits at key positions, is short sighted.

Last edited:
Some interesting logic here. Our offense was poor last year, therefore Satt must be a bad coach. And anyone who suggests the play of the offense was negatively impacted by anything relating to the actual players is "out of bounds". Yet, our offense was bad before Satt got here and had been for several years. Some argue that our QB play over the last 10 years never improved year to year. (A questionable assertion.) So, how is it possible that Satt is the root cause of the offenses struggles in 2023?

I guess the argument is he wasn't able to "prepare" the same QB's to excel under a new system day one. But these same QB's, under the 2 prior coaches, couldn't sniff the field. One of them was considered such a wash at QB, he was moved to TE during the Spring? He only ended up our starter when our transfer QB couldn't stop throwing interceptions (which he did at his last school as well), and the other QB was injured. Further, Satt wasn't able to make the 4th string RB look like a first string RB mid season after injuries hit the RB room? And let's not forget Satt couldn't make the freshmen WR's look like senior WR's after key injuries to the more experienced WR's?

Satt may or may not be the OC we want or need. But judging him based on 2023, with the limitations placed on him by the offensive roster, including injuries and talent deficits at key positions, is short sighted.
I call it under expectations that needs be reined in.
If any coach other than Donovan Raiola ever needed an second look its Satt. He may not get a third, but certainly a second.

JS came in turnover prone, not sure what he showed in practice? He was later given mother chances and failed miserably. That left HH. Between defenses figuring us out and HH's tendencies HH was then wore down and hurt, so Chubba comes in shows a good running qb can win games but Chubba is not HH and he couldn't get past stacking the box.
You saw no spies on Chubba like you did with HH.

If we'd chosen to pass more we may have set a record in interceptions or been close.

What the team looked like was not having two of your slicks on race day.
More to my point. Your narrative is JS came in turnover prone because, like always you ignore the facts to excuse away the coaching. You want to blame it on the quarterback. Here is JS turnovers.

in 2020 he threw 13 interceptions in 257 attempts
in 2021 he threw 7 interceptions in 188 attempts
in 2022 he threw 3 interceptions in 188 attempts
in 2023 he threw 6 interceptions in 47 attempts at Nebraska.

He was not turnover prone his 2nd and third year. Their coaches made him better. Enough said.

As for your comment that Chubba showed that good running quarterback can win games? Well our coaches haven't shown an ability to prove that with him. Which games did he win in the last two years with two different coaches? I haven't seen any coach we have had in 10 years make a quarterback a better passer. It's time to stop blaming the quarterbacks. It's time for our coaches to step up and do it. I can forgive them for the first year as long as we don't have fans trying to pump the sunshine for the coaching failures and blame it on all the quarterbacks having the same problem. That's a system problem. Time to fix it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back