• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frosty Returns?

In 2022 Mark Whipple absolutely was horrible as OC. He was going to force his system onto the team regardless of whether he had the athletes to run his system. The offensive line, recruited and developed for a more run-based profile, was all of the sudden asked to pass block like this was the NFL. He asked their QBs to make multiple reads and progressions - none of whom were capable of doing so except maybe Thompson.

When Smothers played they had to call more run based sets and there was some success. But Whipple would then quickly change up and force players such as Purdy into spots they weren't prepared. CP looked like a deer-in-the-headlights but much of that is on Whipple (inarguably) the worst OC in the history of Husker OC's.
2022 (Sophomore)
Logan Smothers played in five games in 2022, completing 10-of-19 passes for 96 yards while rushing 12 times for 28 yards. He lined up at quarterback for one snap against Northwestern, keeping the ball for a seven-yard rush. Smothers had a 10-yard carry from the quarterback spot against Georgia Southern. He played one series against No. 17 Illinois and rushed twice for six yards while completing his only pass. Against Minnesota, Smothers saw his most extensive action of the season, completing 5-of-10 passes for 80 yards with four rushing yards. Smothers played extensively at No. 3 Michigan, finishing 4-of-8 passing for 15 yards with one rushing yard.

Hardly supports the belief that Whipple got away from Smoothers success to move to an unprepared Chubba. I’m not sure of the man crush many are having with Chubba. Seems fans are all wanting to build him up as something Rhule screwed up on by not forcing him to stay here.

As for whipple. He was retooling the offense just as Sat was. He had us at 102 to 121 for Sat in total offense while scoring almost 5 points a game more. Getting those 5 points this year would have had us at 9-3. Now I’m not dumb enough to not consider different schedules and other factors but the truth of the matter Whipple right now isn’t the worst OC in our history.

Last edited:
As for whipple. He was retooling the offense just as Sat was. He had us at 102 to 121 for Sat in total offense scoring almost 5 points a game more. Getting those 5 points this year would have had us at 9-3. Now I’m not dumb enough to not consider different schedules and other factors but the truth of the matter Whipple right now isn’t the worst OC in our history.
Ouch.
So many fans (and people in general) form opinions based on emotion or media narratives (which stoke emotion) rather than facts and then wax hyperbolic. No real indictment of anyone on my part; I've been guilty of the same. But facts are stubborn things.

Ouch.
So many fans (and people in general) form opinions based on emotion or media narratives (which stoke emotion) rather than facts and then wax hyperbolic. No real indictment of anyone on my part; I've been guilty of the same. But facts are stubborn things.
Yes they are stubborn. And I will admit it's an arguable point and I could just as easily say that we have more upside with Satt but I really can't factually justify it. It's just another one of those times we need to sit back and add rationality to some of the things we do and say.

Last year we averaged one turnover a game more than the year before.
That alone would have won us a few games.
Our qb position was a turnover waiting to happen.

Last year we averaged one turnover a game more than the year before.
That alone would have won us a few games.
Our qb position was a turnover waiting to happen.
Still a part of the offense that the coordinator has to take care of. When every quarterback you play is a turnover machine, at some point you have to ask yourself what part the coaches play in getting it corrected.

Still a part of the offense that the coordinator has to take care of. When every quarterback you play is a turnover machine, at some point you have to ask yourself what part the coaches play in getting it corrected.
They played all three with the same results.

They played all three with the same results.

Fumbles by RBs was much improved. Makes you wonder what the QBs do in practice that the coaches missed the endimic INTs. Or did all 3 QBs choke durings games?

Fumbles by RBs was much improved. Makes you wonder what the QBs do in practice that the coaches missed the endimic INTs. Or did all 3 QBs choke durings games?
I think Chubba had the one int where our wr didn't clear shallow enough makes us think he was as bad as the other two, but he was hurt and couldn't play, JS was a turnover machine and HH just turned it over a lot.

So they went with what worked best, and even though HH turned it over a lot he kept us in games until he couldn't run effectively.
Since Sims went skittish, neither of the other two was a projected future starter imo.
Losing CT Hurt, he is what we needed.

Last edited:
Yep. I agree and I also get it for the guys wanting to blame all three quarterbacks. There were quarterback issues. And I believe Rhule is taking a big step. But washing the coaches' hands to blame our offense on the quarterbacks isn't a very good narrative by the fans. I can guarantee you Rule is blaming the coaching. That's why he went out and got a quarterback coach. Why can't we fans admit it too instead of trying to excuse it away with quarter back issues. I'll guarantee you if these coaches don't solve the turnover issues next year there is likely to be turnover on the offensive side with Satt going first.

Last edited:
Exactly. At what point do you ask yourselves why do the players all have the same results?
A qb who wasn't in qb meetings the year before because of the OC from the year before, a qb that went skittish and one injured.
Not sure, could you say what was to be expected?

A qb who wasn't in qb meetings the year before because of the OC from the year before, a qb that went skittish and one injured.
Not sure, could you say what was to be expected?
So you are saying we can't count on our quarterbacks because they wern't in the quarterback meetings the year before? Geesh. What to be expected? Maybe help out your skittish quarterback playing his first game and already having an interception by not throwing the ball on second and goal from the 6. But you be you and blame all things on players. Our coaches did well enough to win 12 games in your mind.

So you are saying we can't count on our quarterbacks because they wern't in the quarterback meetings the year before? Geesh. What to be expected? Maybe help out your skittish quarterback playing his first game and already having an interception by not throwing the ball on second and goal from the 6. But you be you and blame all things on players. Our coaches did well enough to win 12 games in your mind.
I put the blame where it lays. Are we to assume JS had no further chances? Of course he got them. Now what did he do with them?

So a small town qb rookie isnt allowed in qb meetings, lets just overlook that, then claim no effect? Its you praising the no meetings guy not me.

So, you're saying our coaches did well enough to win twelve games?
Because other than thin air or lower, not sure where you're pulling that from?

So, not calling one play right in your opinion is your answer?

I put the blame where it lays. Are we to assume JS had no further chances? Of course he got them. Now what did he do with them?

So a small town qb rookie isnt allowed in qb meetings, lets just overlook that, then claim no effect? Its you praising the no meetings guy not me.

So, you're saying our coaches did well enough to win twelve games?
Because other than thin air or lower, not sure where you're pulling that from?

So, not calling one play right in your opinion is your answer?
No I'm saying you think our coaches did everything right to win 12 games because you don't blame them for anything. I'm not praising last years coordinator. He was 102 in total offense. I'm trying to figure out why you have such a man crush on the 121 ranked coordinator that you have to blame everything on the quarterbacks. There is rarely a thread that goes by that you aren't bringing up the turnovers by the quarterbacks as the reason for our failure last year. Well, I blame the coaches for not fixing it.

As for the one play example. Well, I concentrated on the first half of the first game to use the example you asked me to state. I'm not going to list the other 100 or so just so you can come up with another 100 excuses.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back