• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost's College Football Coach Ranking

The link below is featured on the front page, but I wondered how you feel regarding Scott's ranking.
I considered his:
  1. Roster Management
  2. Recruiting
  3. Staff Accountability/Coaching Hires
  4. S&C
  5. Play Calling
  6. Program/player Discipline
  7. Win/Loss Record
I would put him in the 45+ range.

Your thoughts?
Love myself a good speculation thread!

Roster Management - B+ - He had a pretty tough task when he got here, one of the largest football teams in the country and trying to reshape it. For the most part he did great, but some of the promises he made and favorites he played created a bit of a riff with the lockerroom that made us lose some guys that could really help. Got rid of 80% of who he needed to, but there were definitely some guys that we needed to do better keeping.

Recruiting - B+ - Tough to be mad at our recruiting classes. Being able to pull back to back top 20 classes while showing like we did on the field is remarkable. Only two blemishes I see right now is who we are going after (2018 class has already lost 50% of the guys that made it here) so we may need to identify "better fits" and how we are handling in-state guys right now. But they are killing it for the most part. We will see how 2021 goes

Staff Accountabiltiy/Coaching hires - B- - I think we could have done better than just hiring all of our AAC coaching staff, but I like the hire on 75% of them. I also think the moves he's made this offseason show some really good promise.

S&C - B - Wanting to do HuskerPower pigeon-holed him into being able to choose between about 5 guys, but he had the guy he wanted anyway. Being on the same page with your head coach is so huge, and i'm not sure there's better cohesion in the country in regard to that. I think we need to get more athletic, we struggled to look good in space with what we are doing in the weight room, but this spring may actually be a positive for us in the fall.

Play Calling - A- - Still think he's one of the best minds in the game. Where he gets stuck is what his play caller decides to do and execute. That may be best served for a different category.

Program/Player Discipline - C+ - I think the kids are doing what every other college kid does, but we need more accountability. Don't let "your guys" get away with something and play while kids doing everything you ask of them have to sit and watch it happen. That was part of our issue for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Liking what i'm hearing from there this spring, but i'm doing my grades on what i've seen so far and translation to the field.

Win/Loss Record - D - I mean, if Moos would have made this hire and said "the goal is to be bowl eligible by year 3" we all would have quit being fans. We could have been bowl eligible last year if we held second half leads against Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Heck we would have been 8-4 if we held on to all of those. So the narrative came back to Riley culture and players. Maybe that's a bit of accountability. But not getting to a bowl game year 2 is ridiculous. Our staff knows that. This grade will be bumped up after the 2020 season.

If the win/loss record isn't bumped up after the 2020 season we've got serious problems. Recruiting classes indicate we've brought in enough talent to win. If we're still getting blown out in games against the big boys and not even shooting par against weaker teams in year 3 of the Frost regimen it'll be hard not to flat out put the blame on coaching. Even after the Mike Riley debacle I still think that, man to man, we had more talent on the team than Colorado, Indiana and Purdue.

Year 1: Not gradable -

Year 2: Unwatchable - literally had to turn the TV off.

Year 3: Unacceptable without significant improvement across the board.

Although a minimum 6-6 record and a bowl is within sight, improvement and health from the quarterback position is pivotal. Regardless of the reasons (and there were many), last year's regression from that position was stunning.

No JUCO belief and hype here until it shows itself. No coulda, shoulda, wouldas. No nothin.'

Either get it done or don't. "You are what your record says you are." - Parcells.

Nebraska football is on the right track now. This is HCSF's second full year. He hasn't forgotten how to coach. Let's see what happens....it might be

Unbelievable.

Love myself a good speculation thread!

Roster Management - B+ - He had a pretty tough task when he got here, one of the largest football teams in the country and trying to reshape it. For the most part he did great, but some of the promises he made and favorites he played created a bit of a riff with the lockerroom that made us lose some guys that could really help. Got rid of 80% of who he needed to, but there were definitely some guys that we needed to do better keeping.

Recruiting - B+ - Tough to be mad at our recruiting classes. Being able to pull back to back top 20 classes while showing like we did on the field is remarkable. Only two blemishes I see right now is who we are going after (2018 class has already lost 50% of the guys that made it here) so we may need to identify "better fits" and how we are handling in-state guys right now. But they are killing it for the most part. We will see how 2021 goes

Staff Accountabiltiy/Coaching hires - B- - I think we could have done better than just hiring all of our AAC coaching staff, but I like the hire on 75% of them. I also think the moves he's made this offseason show some really good promise.

S&C - B - Wanting to do HuskerPower pigeon-holed him into being able to choose between about 5 guys, but he had the guy he wanted anyway. Being on the same page with your head coach is so huge, and i'm not sure there's better cohesion in the country in regard to that. I think we need to get more athletic, we struggled to look good in space with what we are doing in the weight room, but this spring may actually be a positive for us in the fall.

Play Calling - A- - Still think he's one of the best minds in the game. Where he gets stuck is what his play caller decides to do and execute. That may be best served for a different category.

Program/Player Discipline - C+ - I think the kids are doing what every other college kid does, but we need more accountability. Don't let "your guys" get away with something and play while kids doing everything you ask of them have to sit and watch it happen. That was part of our issue for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Liking what i'm hearing from there this spring, but i'm doing my grades on what i've seen so far and translation to the field.

Win/Loss Record - D - I mean, if Moos would have made this hire and said "the goal is to be bowl eligible by year 3" we all would have quit being fans. We could have been bowl eligible last year if we held second half leads against Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Heck we would have been 8-4 if we held on to all of those. So the narrative came back to Riley culture and players. Maybe that's a bit of accountability. But not getting to a bowl game year 2 is ridiculous. Our staff knows that. This grade will be bumped up after the 2020 season.
As usual I enjoyed your thoughts. My question back to you would be if you were leading the Athletic Department, how long do you wait for positive W/L results? If we have another 5 win season is he toast? Or do you give him another year that is "make or break"?

As usual I enjoyed your thoughts. My question back to you would be if you were leading the Athletic Department, how long do you wait for positive W/L results? If we have another 5 win season is he toast? Or do you give him another year that is "make or break"?
He's getting four years from me as AD... especially with the extension he just got. He's getting a little bit of grace in the fact that we are running thru coaches left and right this century. I also think his 2019 class is going to be a good one, and most of them will be in their first year of live playing. I think if not for our history the past two decades 5 wins in 2020 would mean he's gone, but we gotta get some stability.

I still say we get to 7 wins this year so hopefully Moos won't have to have those conversations. They would be difficult.

2020 hot seat list (link)

The Scott Frost era in Nebraska wasn’t supposed to go like this. He arrived fresh off leading UCF to an undefeated season, and seemed destined to reach even greater heights at the helm of a Power Five team. Instead, his record so far is 9-16, and his Cornhuskers have yet to reach a bowl game. He has drawn criticism for his in-game decision making from fans, and is 0-6 against ranked opponents. Frost is well-regarded enough that he’s not too likely to actually be fired in 2020, but he’ll only be able to rely on his reputation for so long without improved results.

Last edited:
I will say with 0 hesitation that I believe he is a much better coach than much of this fan pessimism. This is the coaching equivalent of the knuckleheads booing him vs. ASU in 1996.

Every team he joined as player or coach in his entire career won more games the year he joined than they did previously - NU winning the same # in 2018 as they did in 2017 was the first exception to that. 2 years of painful seasons is an eternity in fan thinking, but not a great deal of time in the grand scheme of program development (and let's face it - this program needed almost a ground-up rebuild) - how far he's able to lift the program remains to be seen, and I'm fully aware of the learning curve/mistakes that have happened (I'm in "prove it" mode myself), but there still aren't more than 10 other coaches in the country that I would even consider taking over Frost for this situation, given fit & ability.

He's getting four years from me as AD... especially with the extension he just got. He's getting a little bit of grace in the fact that we are running thru coaches left and right this century. I also think his 2019 class is going to be a good one, and most of them will be in their first year of live playing. I think if not for our history the past two decades 5 wins in 2020 would mean he's gone, but we gotta get some stability.

I still say we get to 7 wins this year so hopefully Moos won't have to have those conversations. They would be difficult.

If I'm AD there's no way he doesn't get 5 years and then evaluate. This program was a mess when he got here, more so than some of us (me being in that category) thought. Like you said though, I think it's rather a moot point as I see this ship turning. It really only takes a few tweaks at this point IMO. Develop a stronger psyche, improved special teams, and improved online will go A LONG way.

If I'm AD there's no way he doesn't get 5 years and then evaluate. This program was a mess when he got here, more so than some of us (me being in that category) thought. Like you said though, I think it's rather a moot point as I see this ship turning. It really only takes a few tweaks at this point IMO. Develop a stronger psyche, improved special teams, and improved online will go A LONG way.
Spot on. Be tough for me to pull the plug after year 4, would have to be four straight losing seasons. It was a mess, we should have been better in 2019 than we were, but that doesn’t ruin what I think the trajectory for Frost is. Give it 4 years and evaluate. No reason to even debate it before that.

I agree with any thought that he'll get four -- no matter what happens in 2020. Because, as *** mentioned, the contract extension -- and -- the fact we've been running through coaches like water this century. (Probably also doesn't hurt that he has strong Nebraska ties.)

But -- I don't think he's guaranteed five no matter what. The easy way to end that argument is for the 2020 Huskers to make a bowl game. But if they don't, there will be a large percentage of fans and donors circling like vultures in 2021 -- fair or not. For that matter, Moos may be feeling the heat as well at that point. He was brought aboard for one primary reason: find a coach to turn Nebraska football around. The other concern: if Nebraska falters in 2020, the 2021 recruiting class is likely to falter as well. You can only sell turning things around to recruits for so long. Again, just win in 2020 and everything will be infinitely better.

I agree with any thought that he'll get four -- no matter what happens in 2020. Because, as *** mentioned, the contract extension -- and -- the fact we've been running through coaches like water this century. (Probably also doesn't hurt that he has strong Nebraska ties.)

But -- I don't think he's guaranteed five no matter what. The easy way to end that argument is for the 2020 Huskers to make a bowl game. But if they don't, there will be a large percentage of fans and donors circling like vultures in 2021 -- fair or not. For that matter, Moos may be feeling the heat as well at that point. He was brought aboard for one primary reason: find a coach to turn Nebraska football around. The other concern: if Nebraska falters in 2020, the 2021 recruiting class is likely to falter as well. You can only sell turning things around to recruits for so long. Again, just win in 2020 and everything will be infinitely better.
I agree with you. The only point I have is that disparaging the previous coaching staff has grown tiresome for me, and I would think others too. Obviously, the Riley experiment failed miserably, but I am hard pressed to believe that he and his staff completely destroyed the program - to a level so unheard of - years will be required for a decent fix. That propaganda campaign seems cheap to me. Anyone following college ball has seen much better results in other places in a very short period of time, some with very challenging circumstances.
No matter, I want Scott Frost to succeed. I just hope it’s sooner than later. The elevation of his paycheck should demand it.

Spot on. Be tough for me to pull the plug after year 4, would have to be four straight losing seasons. It was a mess, we should have been better in 2019 than we were, but that doesn’t ruin what I think the trajectory for Frost is. Give it 4 years and evaluate. No reason to even debate it before that.
I also think Frost gets a little bit of a pass for the first season. They got a tough break when 2AM got knocked out by a dirty play. I fully believe we woulda made a bowl game that first year if that didn't happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back