• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Friday night in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday to your Husker father in law.

You got it. It is going to be fun. Limo to Old Market. Nice restaurant, etc.

Eight of us (his four kids and spouses) are showing up at his house at about 2:30 pm., unannounced (flying in from all four U.S. timezones). A surprise cooked up by my mother-in law. Hope he has the DVR hooked up to his new flatscreen, because he isn't going to want to talk to us or take a shower, let alone hop into that limo, until the NU game is over, unless he has it recording! ;)

Eight of us (his four kids and spouses) are showing up at his house at about 2:30 pm., unannounced (flying in from all four U.S. timezones). A surprise cooked up by my mother-in law.

Well since he's a Husker fan I sure hope he doesn't read these message boards, or it might not be quite the surprise you were hoping for. :)

Here would be my advice for visiting Chicago: Don't just do the tourist stuff. Especially stay away from the Rush/Division area, unless meat market bars are your thing.

Of the museums, they are all outstanding. My favorite is the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park. After that, it would be a tie among the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Art Institute.

If you are going to do one of the tall buildings, by all means do the Hancock -- way better views than Sears. Instead of paying $18 just to walk around, go get a cocktail and sit at the bar at the Signature Room.

Navy Pier is a tacky tourist trap. Not worth a visit unless you are taking a boat tour.

If you have time during the day Friday, a great way to see the city is to take a Chicago Neighborhoods bike tour -- not the one that does the mag mile -- do the one that goes through Lincoln Park.

Restaurants. First choice for a first time visitor would be either (1) Gibsons Steak House or (2) Shaws Crab House. Both are Chicago institutions. Beyond that, Unos for deep dish pizza, Felony Franks for dogs, Spiaggia for italian, Cafe Ba Ba Reeba for tapas, and either Frontera Grill or Topolobompo for Mexican (both owned by Rick Bayless). If you are downtown for lunch on Friday, go to Xoco, Rick Bayless' casual Mexican sandwich restaurant -- literally the best sandwiches I have ever had in my life.

Bars -- Do a blues bar or a jazz club. In my opinion the best blues bars are Buddy Guys Legends or Kingston Mines. Jazz clubs -- its been 10 years since I have been to one, so I can't recommend anything.

Nightlife generally -- spend time in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. That is by far the best place to spend time at night.

My main advice is see the city a little beyond the big tourist sites.

Can't disagree with what Chi just posted...except some of my best memories in Chicago came at the corner of Rush and Division Streets. :Biggrin:

If I was there Friday night, I'd be heading to Gino's Deep Dish Pizza on the Near North Side. Absolutely pizza to die for....

http://www.ginoseast.com/flash.html

I'd take Giordanos or Lou Malnatis hands down over Gino's, but its hard to find a bad pie in Chicago. Have to hit Portillos for a hot dog or Italian Beef. Carmines on Rush if you're looking for a nicer atmosphere, decently priced, amazing food Italian joint. God I love dining in Chicago!!

Last edited:
We are taking your advice. We are staying in Schaumberg at the Hyatt and are hitting Ginos East in Rolling Meadows. Its not the Near North Side, but its still Ginos East.

Any advice for a wet beef sandwich in the Schaumberg area?

If you're staying in Schaumburg, there is a Portillos on Golf Rd about a mile West of woodfield mall...get an Italian beef dipped and you'll be glad you did.

Here would be my advice for visiting Chicago: Don't just do the tourist stuff. Especially stay away from the Rush/Division area, unless meat market bars are your thing.

Of the museums, they are all outstanding. My favorite is the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park. After that, it would be a tie among the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Art Institute.

If you are going to do one of the tall buildings, by all means do the Hancock -- way better views than Sears. Instead of paying $18 just to walk around, go get a cocktail and sit at the bar at the Signature Room.

Navy Pier is a tacky tourist trap. Not worth a visit unless you are taking a boat tour.

If you have time during the day Friday, a great way to see the city is to take a Chicago Neighborhoods bike tour -- not the one that does the mag mile -- do the one that goes through Lincoln Park.

Restaurants. First choice for a first time visitor would be either (1) Gibsons Steak House or (2) Shaws Crab House. Both are Chicago institutions. Beyond that, Unos for deep dish pizza, Felony Franks for dogs, Spiaggia for italian, Cafe Ba Ba Reeba for tapas, and either Frontera Grill or Topolobompo for Mexican (both owned by Rick Bayless). If you are downtown for lunch on Friday, go to Xoco, Rick Bayless' casual Mexican sandwich restaurant -- literally the best sandwiches I have ever had in my life.

Bars -- Do a blues bar or a jazz club. In my opinion the best blues bars are Buddy Guys Legends or Kingston Mines. Jazz clubs -- its been 10 years since I have been to one, so I can't recommend anything.

Nightlife generally -- spend time in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. That is by far the best place to spend time at night.

Thanks for the info! Leaving for Chicago in a few minutes - staying downtown.

I'd take Giordanos or Lou Malnatis hands down over Gino's, but its hard to find a bad pie in Chicago. Have to hit Portillos for a hot dog or Italian Beef. Carmines on Rush if you're looking for a nicer atmosphere, decently priced, amazing food Italian joint. God I love dining in Chicago!!

Amen to all of this! :cheers:

Hancock signature room is one of my favorite places in Chicago. The entry is about 1/2 down the right side of the building as you are looking at the front. Go through doors and look for elevator in Middle.

Frontera and Topolobambo are excellent but hard to get a table ( usually need to reserve weeks in advance) He has a 3 rd restaurant called XOXO which sells "street food" that is a walk in an order establishment (excellent)

Rush and Division has large concentration of bars/clubs that will give you a great night life atmosphere.

Kingston Mines is always a great spot for blues.

Geno's, Giordanl's, and Lou Malnetti's are great for deep dish pizza.

Art museum, Shedd aquarium, and natural history museum are also great if you have time.

Every Chicago visit for us, Giordanos and Portillos is a must. If you want to do a tourist thing get a picture by the reflective kidney thing in Millennial Park.

I've been here in chicago for a couple years now and this seems 100% correct. Especially the Uno's - i had been here a year and was talking to a couple lifers, they asked me if i had had chicago pizza, I said yes and that i prefer Lou's over Gino's and Giordano's - they laughed at me and gave me directions to Uno's

other tips - DO NOT plan on parking downtown if you want to have gas/fun money on the way home - - use public transportation, if you can find one, use a river taxi - it is a poor mans boat tour, fairly quick, and the weather should be nice this weekend

Portillos is good, but IMO is too "chained.' If you want a dog then find some place that refuses to give you ketchup and serves Vienna Or try (or try superdawg or Jim's origional, or Gold coast dogs), if you want an Italian Beef, find a busy place with an obscenely Italian name and get your giardiniera hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back