• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Friday night games coming to Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Eichorst pays attention to the sentiment of the fan base on this issue. I could be wrong, but I suspect the vast majority would hate the idea of a Friday night home game.

I would be okay with a Friday night road game once every few years. The only Fridays we should even consider for a home game though are opening week (the Friday before Labor Day) and our customary Black Friday game. If I remember correctly, Sparty and Minnesota have hosted Friday night games on opening week. Coming right after a holiday, Black Friday basically functions like a Saturday.

With Michigan and Penn St. making wise use of their veto power, it kind of makes Nebraska look bush league for not following their lead. (I assume Ohio St will veto as well, at least for home games.) I can understand how this might make sense for the "bottom half" programs in the conference, but we should aspire to be with the "haves" instead of the "have nots".

Blue blood programs with 90,000 seat stadiums and passionate fan bases do not need to be playing home games on Friday nights. As others have pointed out, there are adverse impacts on recruiting, high school football, traffic, parking, tailgating, and the Lincoln economy. So basically the game day atmosphere and fan experience would be diminished.

I hope Eichorst pays attention to the sentiment of the fan base on this issue. I could be wrong, but I suspect the vast majority would hate the idea of a Friday night home game.

I would be okay with a Friday night road game once every few years. The only Fridays we should even consider for a home game though are opening week (the Friday before Labor Day) and our customary Black Friday game. If I remember correctly, Sparty and Minnesota have hosted Friday night games on opening week. Coming right after a holiday, Black Friday basically functions like a Saturday.

With Michigan and Penn St. making wise use of their veto power, it kind of makes Nebraska look bush league for not following their lead. (I assume Ohio St will veto as well, at least for home games.) I can understand how this might make sense for the "bottom half" programs in the conference, but we should aspire to be with the "haves" instead of the "have nots".

Blue blood programs with 90,000 seat stadiums and passionate fan bases do not need to be playing home games on Friday nights. As others have pointed out, there are adverse impacts on recruiting, high school football, traffic, parking, tailgating, and the Lincoln economy. So basically the game day atmosphere and fan experience would be diminished.

I tend to think You'll have 6-8 Big Ten teams that agree to it, as it improves their exposure. The rest -- including Nebraska -- will see more negatives and negate it.

But seriously, if Michigan can say "no way" and it's approved, what's stopping any Big Ten team from destroying this contract?

HIgh schools shouldn't have to compete with college that one night of the week. It's all about adding another night of television exposure to generate more bucks. Unnecessary.

Wouldn't be my first choice but don't complain with your pockets over flowing with cash. This is a financial decision and for all those teams complaining about Friday games, please feel free to refund the extra millions that help your team tremendously. Like Rutgers, you're luck to even be in the B1G cause you're terrible.

It's not going to hurt recruiting. Recruits that can't make it will simply not come that week. How is that different from any other week that those recruits wouldn't come? If the recruit wants to make an OV, they're going to schedule one that works for them. This just means they have to take one more variable into consideration.

It's not going to hurt downtown business. There will be tens of thousands of extra people in the city that night, and many will partake of establishments after the game is over. And not everyone goes to the stadium to watch the game, anyway. The ones that don't and that go to bars or restaurants during the game will still go. Parking will be more of a problem, but it won't be any different from a Saturday game's issues.

It's one game every THREE YEARS. If that's something that will negatively affect the program, the economy and recruiting to such an extent as many here seem to believe, maybe we should disband the team altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back