• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frank Solich Hall of Fame Vote ...should he?

I think that Frank was part of an outstanding coaching regime under TO...that he did a "very good job" as head coach and might have done greater had he been allowed to stay at NU...that he did an absolutely great job at Ohio...and that all of that does not add up to a HOF coach. There are many others with a similar story. The HOF coaches are legendary, or at least should be. There's no "legend of Frankie," although that could be a cool song....
I do not consider the job he did at Ohio as great, only 1 conference championship. Good not great W/L %.

I do not consider the job he did at Ohio as great, only 1 conference championship. Good not great W/L %.
That conference championship was the '99 Huskers. He never won the MAC conference. I would think that would be a prerequisite to getting into the Hall. 16 (?) years at Ohio and not a single conference championship. The MAC isn't the SEC or B1G where it's harder to beat the 'bama's or OSU's, there is no reason Ohio couldn't win a few conf. titles if Frank was a HOF coach.

I was curious to see how many coaches in the Hall of Fame have a lower winning percentage than Solich. The number is too high to count. At least 20 according to Wikipedia have a lower winning percentage than .631. Included in that bunch are a few that most would recognize, Barry Alvarez, Mike Bellotti, Earl Bruce, Fisher DeBerry, Bob Deveney's mentor at Michigan St. Duffy Daughtey, and Hayden Fry.

I would say Frank Solich fits with this crowd.
I hate, absolutely hate Barry Alvarez but his resume is so much stronger than FS’s. Wisconsin‘s football program was dog poop prior to his arrival. They were 14-42 in the 5 years prior with 3 different coaches. In the 20 years prior to BA they had 5 winning seasons … all with just 7 wins.

Understandably he started out at UW slowly with 1, 5 and 5 wins. Before a breakthrough 10-1-1 season followed by 7, 4, 8 and 8 wins. His rebuild was very impressive and he’s deserving of the HOF way more than FS.

I hate, absolutely hate Barry Alvarez but his resume is so much stronger than FS’s. Wisconsin‘s football program was dog poop prior to his arrival. They were 14-42 in the 5 years prior with 3 different coaches. In the 20 years prior to BA they had 5 winning seasons … all with just 7 wins.

Understandably he started out at UW slowly with 1, 5 and 5 wins. Before a breakthrough 10-1-1 season followed by 7, 4, 8 and 8 wins. His rebuild was very impressive and he’s deserving of the HOF way more than FS.

My whole point was that their are a lot of guys in the HOF with winning percentages similar to Solich. I mean Lou Holtz only sits at a .650 career winning percentage. It matters not one bit to me whether FS gets into the HOF or not. But, by most metrics out there he is worthy as of consideration as several coaches that are already in the HOF.

You can argue FS took a doormat like Ohio and made them into consistent winners. Teams in that league go up and down all the time, but while he was there they consistently won at the Mid-Major level. You also have to think that he basically started every year 0-3 because they have to play road revenue games against the big boys.

I pretty much agree.
Ohio football was pretty much dog poop before Frank's arrival. And frank did elevate it considerably. But not enough to warrant HOF, imo, as a Frank Solich supporter

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back