• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frank Solich Hall of Fame Vote ...should he?

I'm not sold on either Coker or Solich being hall of fame worthy. That should be a very select membership.

Coker was a head coach for 11 seasons. Won 3 conference championships and 1 national championship. 86-47 record, .647 winning percentage.

Solich was a head coach for 22 seasons. Won 1 conference championship and 0 national championships. 173-101 record, .631 winning percentage.
Well said.

A good college coach? Absolutely. A Hall of Fame College coach? The fact that most of his wins were in the MAC and that he only won 1 or 2 conference titles says "probably not".

He deserves on the ballot. Does he deserve in? Im not sure.
But do assistant and assistant sucess count?
If his career as an assistant and a hc is what counts i think hes a lean to get in. As a hc only, id say a lean to not get in

He deserves on the ballot. Does he deserve in? Im not sure.
But do assistant and assistant sucess count?
If his career as an assistant and a hc is what counts i think hes a lean to get in. As a hc only, id say a lean to not get in
I do think one of the most over-looked things for these kinds of votes/discussions is their role as an assistant. As an assistant to TO, FS has a very lengthy and credible story. His credentials are extremely good. As RB position coach he had some of the greatest runners in CFB history, including two Heisman trophy winners.

I till my dying days will proclaim that he was a great assistant coach and his HOF ballot should account for his efforts during those days. Almost no one, especially those voting will take that into account over his performance as a HC.

His tenure as a HC was average to above average, his longevity at Ohio, his relative success is above average but he didn’t have great success even for short stretches. That will weigh him down in this voting process.

If I was voting I would be on the fence between yes and no but only because he’s arguably one of the greatest assistant coaches that worked with TO.

Last edited:
All the voters have their own ideas and there isn't any set of rules they must follow. I would not think he has the right credentials, but those who vote may feel otherwise. If he gets in it would diminish my view of the Hall, but then, I seldom think about the Hall anyway. Good for him if he makes it.

Why a thread lock?

Overall a really good and respectful thread

Good to hear, haven’t read through it all but find it hard to believe anyone has changed there stance or reversed anyone else’s with uncovered material. Carry on

Good to hear, haven’t read through it all but find it hard to believe anyone has changed there stance or reversed anyone else’s with uncovered material. Carry on

So I should lock a thread because of that in what was the second post in the thread?

You can be at ease

If the bolded was the measure to lock a thread, every single one would be locked. No one is really changing other people's opinions; different folks are just sharing their opinion and why they think that way. A whole lot more "agree to disagree" comments on here than "oh, very insightful, you changed my opinion."

He coached Mike Rozier and Eric Crouch. EC was arguably a RB wearing a QB number.

Solich ran Crouch so much that Eric took a ton of wear and tear which hurt his throwing shoulder. However, Crouch was the best offensive weapon by far on that 2001 team.

Last edited:

He coached Mike Rozier and Eric Crouch. EC was arguably a RB wearing a QB number.
Except frank was the acting head coach at the time…. Carrying on as the RB coach while you are supposed to be running the premier program in the nation, which is what he was given, is probably what SP saw. It’s certainly what his critics saw and why we moved on. The poor choices thst followed does not make him a hero. Good guys don’t always win…franks not HOF material.

I think that Frank was part of an outstanding coaching regime under TO...that he did a "very good job" as head coach and might have done greater had he been allowed to stay at NU...that he did an absolutely great job at Ohio...and that all of that does not add up to a HOF coach. There are many others with a similar story. The HOF coaches are legendary, or at least should be. There's no "legend of Frankie," although that could be a cool song....

I was curious to see how many coaches in the Hall of Fame have a lower winning percentage than Solich. The number is too high to count. At least 20 according to Wikipedia have a lower winning percentage than .631. Included in that bunch are a few that most would recognize, Barry Alvarez, Mike Bellotti, Earl Bruce, Fisher DeBerry, Bob Deveney's mentor at Michigan St. Duffy Daughtey, and Hayden Fry.

I would say Frank Solich fits with this crowd.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back