• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fishing Kayaks

CO4NU

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Anyone here have one?

We just moved back to Nebraska (after 42 years in Condomrado) and where we are living temporarily, while house hunting has a lake not even 300 yds away. I have always loved fishing. Cast and retrieve, not so much cast and sit.

Anyway, I have seen a number of sit on top fishing kayaks on the lake and am seriously thinking of getting one.

Really like the Native Max Slayer 10.

Anyone have any insight/suggestions?

I have the NuCanoe Frontier 12. They are a canoe/kayak hybrid kind of thing. Definitely heavier than your typical kayak, but more versatile. Just depends on what you are looking to do.

The biggest thing I love about it is that I can stand up and fish out of it, I'm not stuck sitting at water level. That is great for pitching and casting into tight spots. They are very modular for seats, trolling motors, fish finders, etc. All depends on how much $$ you want to put in. I keep mine very basic, but had a trolling motor on a previous version I had, but that was to get me into my duck hunting spots. They make a layout blind and its a pretty good platform to hunt from.

They are heavy, though, so if you only fish and don't need/want to stand, there's definitely lighter and cheaper options out there.

When I am fishing by myself, I mostly do so in a kayak. I have a brand that is made near where I have my Minnesota cabin.....Crow Wing Kayaks. The model I have is an earlier version of the Adventurer (the final one shown in this link):
It's only about 50 pounds so it is easy to maneuver, but a drawback to that is that if I hook into a decent sized northern it can pull the kayak around a little until I can land it.

The biggest problem for me fishing from a kayak is that if you have to bring the fish into the boat to remove the hook you basically bring it onto your lap. It's not a problem with bass because I can just grab them by the lip, but with northerns they want to thrash around once I get them in.

Get a boat. Kayaks are nice if you're fishing the refuge lakes like Clear, Pelican and Dewey lakes. But for versatility get a smaller boat that you can traverse the smaller lakes as well as larger ones. 16 footer will do for two people.

Welcome back to Nebraska. I’ve seen a few of those out and they look nice. What lake are you mostly looking to go on?

We are renting for a year while house hunting and our townhouse is about 200 yds away from Prairie Queen Reservoir in Papillion.

I've seen a few out on the reservoir and have talked to a few owners. They really like them.

I have the NuCanoe Frontier 12. They are a canoe/kayak hybrid kind of thing. Definitely heavier than your typical kayak, but more versatile. Just depends on what you are looking to do.

The biggest thing I love about it is that I can stand up and fish out of it, I'm not stuck sitting at water level. That is great for pitching and casting into tight spots. They are very modular for seats, trolling motors, fish finders, etc. All depends on how much $$ you want to put in. I keep mine very basic, but had a trolling motor on a previous version I had, but that was to get me into my duck hunting spots. They make a layout blind and its a pretty good platform to hunt from.

They are heavy, though, so if you only fish and don't need/want to stand, there's definitely lighter and cheaper options out there.

I'm looking at the "sit on top" Native Max Slayer 10. It is about 70lbs unfitted and fits in the back of my pickup.

Also easy to stand in.

When I am fishing by myself, I mostly do so in a kayak. I have a brand that is made near where I have my Minnesota cabin.....Crow Wing Kayaks. The model I have is an earlier version of the Adventurer (the final one shown in this link):
It's only about 50 pounds so it is easy to maneuver, but a drawback to that is that if I hook into a decent sized northern it can pull the kayak around a little until I can land it.

The biggest problem for me fishing from a kayak is that if you have to bring the fish into the boat to remove the hook you basically bring it onto your lap. It's not a problem with bass because I can just grab them by the lip, but with northerns they want to thrash around once I get them in.

The Native Max 10 is a peddle kayak. The people I have talked to about it really like it. Easy to peddle.....max speed about 4-5 mph. And frees up your hands while still being able to maneuver.

Downside is they are about $2600.

The Native Max 10 is a peddle kayak. The people I have talked to about it really like it. Easy to peddle.....max speed about 4-5 mph. And frees up your hands while still being able to maneuver.

Downside is they are about $2600.
I googled it, and it looks interesting. Being 10 feet I assume you will have to register it? That is one of the advantages of my smaller-size kayak; I don't have to mess with state registration.

I googled it, and it looks interesting. Being 10 feet I assume you will have to register it? That is one of the advantages of my smaller-size kayak; I don't have to mess with state registration.

Thats a good question.

That is a question I didn't ask.

I think that I have fished once in the past 10 - 15 years and that was off of my brothers boat. In fact, it was when I took the photo that is my current avatar and I think it was 2018 or 2019 off of the coast of Palm Beach. I used to love fishing but have just sort of fallen out of favor with it. I've got two rods and reels that I bought way back in 2006 that have never been used, perhaps I should just donate them or something.

We are renting for a year while house hunting and our townhouse is about 200 yds away from Prairie Queen Reservoir in Papillion.

I've seen a few out on the reservoir and have talked to a few owners. They really like them.
What a small world, I fish there frequently. I have some employees who fish there a couple times a week if you want to know where the honey holes are. There’s some cement they poured rather deep that catfish hide under towards 132nd. Towards the rocks and filtration system toward 126th, it’s Crappie city. Anyway, that’s a nice area to live by. Let us know what rig you get.

What a small world, I fish there frequently. I have some employees who fish there a couple times a week if you want to know where the honey holes are. There’s some cement they poured rather deep that catfish hide under towards 132nd. Towards the rocks and filtration system toward 126th, it’s Crappie city. Anyway, that’s a nice area to live by. Let us know what rig you get.

I will!

Thanks!

I love bass fishing. Have done that since I was a little kid. Those guys will be my biggest target. LOL.

Thanks again!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back