• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Finebaum: Frost squarely on the hot seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fellas another season like we have had and both Frost and Moos are gone if the money is there to buy everyone on staff out.

I hope that is not the case I really dont think it would do DONU any good to be starting over AGAIN
Why would Moos be gone? Unless he refuses to make a move, in the event of a catastrophic season.

I can see it going either way. But if he’s lucky enough to get next year I bet we see a few new assistant coaches. Either way he needs to start winning games.
It would be hard to bring in any new assistants worth a damn if the head coach might get fired in a year. Probably too late for that.

Do you think a team with the 13th ranked recruiting class in the BIG can win 7-9 games?
hell yes. he has had three top 25 recruiting classes. It's fair to say he hasn't done much with them.

my point is we will be lucky to secure a top 50 class this year if HCSF produces another stinker of a season. No one is buying his I know what I am doing anymore as his credibility is in short supply. He needs to show us.

While I think SF is on a hot seat, I am naturally inclined to disagree with anything that over the hill, pencil neck dork says regarding any physical activity.

The cupboard is full of Frost recruits so clearly this is his team to turn the page or stay the same. I am not sure he gets another 4-8 or 5-7 year. This program has been down too long and too many excuses. No amount of Kool-Aid or pumping will make this team win. The only way this team improves is to execute, cut penalities, tackle better, and limit turnovers. Improve all of these and Frost looks like a genius.
100%. 2nd to last sentence is where it all lies. It’s the only way they get better. Even Alabama couldn’t overcome miscues at Nebraska’s rate, they’d have at least 2-3 losses playing that sloppy. Difference is, Saban won’t tolerate that type of play.

I don't know that Finebaum has been critical of Frost.
I’m as big of Frost fan as there is, really want him to do well and win. And I’ve been wrong on him so far. That said, you can’t live under a rock either and ignore what’s happened so far under him. It’s a results business, and another losing season would be a hard sell. I have a hunch that NU will turn a corner and make a bowl game.

Later in his appearance, he suggested that Nebraska really doesn’t have an identity anymore.

“You start looking — who are the Nebraskas around the country?” he continued. “And those are great conversations on lazy May days. Is it a Tennessee? Is it Michigan? Are these pockets of places around the country that are just, no matter what — no matter how many times they have a new coach, no matter how many times the fans say, ‘This is our year,’ it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be.”

Say what you want about Finebaum, but he's not with any of this.

I dunno, I keep thinking we've hit rock-bottom, but I'm wondering now if we aren't going to remain in this bottom-quartile-of-the-P5 for a while longer. There's zero confidence in Nebraska nationally. Probably even considerably less confidence in Nebraska than Tennessee. In positive news: I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to get season tickets this year or next and I can start a new generation of little Husker fans.

I absolutely hate when ultimatums are placed on sports teams like that. Not all seasons are built the same. The team could be 100% better than last year and go 5-7. I get why they're doing it, but I hate the mindset.

100% better, and we aren't going 5-7.

Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Michigan State, Purdue would all be locks at 100% better.

Then you'd only need one more win to make a bowl game out of Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan (especially those first three listed). If we couldn't get one more from that group, I'd debate we aren't 100% better.

6 wins is not asking too much. And I'd personally be fine with 6 wins, a bowl game, and Frost is back in 2022.

Regarding ultimatums, it was Moos who said this only three weeks ago:

“It’d be great to get into that 8-9 wins, to start getting back into the picture of conference championships and talking about more postseason. And I think in Year 4, for Scott Frost, that’s a realistic expectation.”

I don't even think 8-9 wins is a realistic expectation. 6-7 wins is, however.

Last edited:
100% better, and we aren't going 5-7.

Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo, Michigan State, Purdue would all be locks at 100% better.

Then you'd only need one more win to make a bowl game out of Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan (especially those first three listed). If we couldn't get one more from that group, I'd debate we aren't 100% better.

6 wins is not asking too much. And I'd personally be fine with 6 wins, a bowl game, and Frost is back in 2022.

Regarding ultimatums, it was Moos who said this only three weeks ago:

“It’d be great to get into that 8-9 wins, to start getting back into the picture of conference championships and talking about more postseason. And I think in Year 4, for Scott Frost, that’s a realistic expectation.”

I don't even think 8-9 wins is a realistic expectation. 6-7 wins is, however.

Yes I'm aware of what Moos said. And while you took my post literally, there is absolutely a way they could be significantly better than last year and be 5-7. Balls bounce in funny ways. I don't think it's probable, but it's possible.

I wonder what Finebaum thought of Frost when he was at UCF.
“I don’t think they can (get back to what they once were). I did when (Frost) got there because, to me, he was the coach of the future,” Feinbaum explained.

I know it doesn't fit the anti-Finebaum narrative on this site, but he's been pretty consistent admitting that he thought Frost would bring the Big Red back to relevancy.

Yes I'm aware of what Moos said. And while you took my post literally, there is absolutely a way they could be significantly better than last year and be 5-7. Balls bounce in funny ways. I don't think it's probable, but it's possible.

Well, I took your post as you were looking for a way they could fall short of a bowl game. Because you know -- the ball bounces funny ways -- and maybe if it bounces the right way they win 7-8 games. But by choosing the route of it bouncing the wrong way, you've created a scenario of excusing a losing season.

I'm not interested in taking that into the equation. The ball bounces funny, okay. Truth is, if there's a 4th straight losing season under Frost, it wasn't because we just got unlucky.

I don't think I'm being even remotely unfair by suggesting if Frost -- or any coach -- can't get a winning season within four seasons at Nebraska, he's failed. For that matter, there isn't a single Husker fan on this planet who would have said upon his hiring that 6 wins is probably good enough in year four. But it is -- that in itself is depressing to admit.

Well, I took your post as you were looking for a way they could fall short of a bowl game. Because you know -- the ball bounces funny ways -- and maybe if it bounces the right way they win 7-8 games. But by choosing the route of it bouncing the wrong way, you've created a scenario of excusing a losing season.

I'm not interested in taking that into the equation. The ball bounces funny, okay. Truth is, if there's a 4th straight losing season under Frost, it wasn't because we just got unlucky.

I don't think I'm being even remotely unfair by suggesting if Frost -- or any coach -- can't get a winning season within four seasons at Nebraska, he's failed. For that matter, there isn't a single Husker fan on this planet who would have said upon his hiring that 6 wins is probably good enough in year four. But it is -- that in itself is depressing to admit.

Good lord man. All I said is I hate ultimatums as far as win totals. Sorry that my support of Scott Frost has led to this.

Why would Moos be gone? Unless he refuses to make a move, in the event of a catastrophic season.
Frost is his coach. If DONU dosent show improvement meaning bowl game in my mind Moos will be gone new AD hired and they will bring in their coach. We have been down this road before. Looking from the outside in Moos is not the problem he has done very good things while here but will be a sacrificial lamb to get a different coach in..

It's late, so I apologize if I ramble a bit...

Like him or not, Finebaus's only the messenger. This program is in deep doo-doo and will languish in mediocrity for 50 more years if Moos and Frost don't get it turned around PDQ. And I'm not exaggerating (much.) It's historical fact that most dynasties don't survive forever. Army, Minnesota, Notre Dame, USC, Miami... Yes, some teams like Alabama, Oklahoma recycle every decade or so, and as such it seems the gap between the haves and the have-nots is getting wider and it's becoming more and more apparent that the "haves" will enjoy a more and more permanent place in the heirarchy of relevant and irrelevant teams. With the landscape of college football changing significantly, NU needs to ensure its it's in with the "haves" but that's not going to happen without a quick turnaround.

The longer the losing continues the harder it will be to start winning. Frost's grace period is over, IMO. That doesn't mean he has to win a B1G title, but his teams needs to start showing significant improvement now, as in game 1 v. Illinois. I agree that doesn't necessarily mean making a bowl game, but geez, when there's so many of them they have to wave the winning record rule to get enough teams to play them, there's really no excuse if NU has another season end on Black Friday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back