• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Favorite Non-Title Team

What is your favorite non-National Title winning Husker team?

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 21 42.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

The Halloween beatdown of CU followed by crushing a top 15 KU squad the next week. Now... about Iowa State.

Yes yes, and the infamous long Calvin jones TD were he tossed the ball aside at what seemed like the 15 yard line so that he could get the helmet off for the camera…

IMG_7236.jpeg

https://huskerextra.com/archives/hi...cle_1500802a-e377-11ed-ac33-57897e830bfd.html

Last edited:

Wow, good stuff!! I also went 1982. All of the 83 team plus Roger Craig, Dave Rimington…. I love watching the 82 games on YouTube.
Iowa (sweet revenge) :)
Missouri (Rozier guts it out)
Penn State (great college football)
Oklahoma (back to back wins)
LSU (orange bowl)
Auburn (another beat down of SEC & Bo Jackson Lionel James)

I attended the Nebraska verses Hawaii game in HawaiI where Hawaii was ahead 16 to 7 in the fourth quarter and the Hawaii crowd was going absolutely nuts in the stands. The Huskers woke up in the 4th quarter and scored 30 unanswered points against a highly motivated Hawaii team that played well until they didn’t.

I'm on the younger side of the spectrum. For me 2000 and 2001 would be on the list. 2009 team was a fun group, especially defensively.

My favorite might be 2012, though. Ameer and Rex in the backfield behind T. Martinez, plus Kenny Bell, Enunwa, Turner. If you can scrub the Conference championship game (but keep Martinez's touchdown run and Bell's block) from existence that season, it was a pretty fun group. Gave a Georgia team that nearly made the National Championship all they could handle in our bowl.

I'm on the younger side of the spectrum. For me 2000 and 2001 would be on the list. 2009 team was a fun group, especially defensively.

My favorite might be 2012, though. Ameer and Rex in the backfield behind T. Martinez, plus Kenny Bell, Enunwa, Turner. If you can scrub the Conference championship game (but keep Martinez's touchdown run and Bell's block) from existence that season, it was a pretty fun group. Gave a Georgia team that nearly made the National Championship all they could handle in our bowl.

The 2012 team is pretty underrated in our history. So many fun moments and great players on that team. They obviously weren't a national title contender like 2001, 82, or 99, but a high level of talent. IMO, if we had still been in the Big 12 that year, we are 100% in title contention just based on the tier of teams they had in the league that season.

Last edited:
1978. Best football example of life isn’t fair but you compete anyway. Go to Alabama to start and get beat by eventual no. 1. Beat the crap out of top-ranked OU in November only to lose a brutal rematch a handful of weeks later. Upset by Mizzou but run the rest of the table to share the conference title with OU. Just massive cajones on this team. Pillen, Kunz, Clark, Ohrt, Horn, Berns, Sorley. Even Billy Todd had the funky straight-on kicking show. Throw back of throw back teams. Dudes could beat Oklahoma on a Saturday and bring in the crops on a Sunday. And the hit that Rudd put on Phelps on the kickoff in the OU game is seared into my brain. Best…hit…ever.

1976, as much for what memories I have of life at that time and the teams ups and downs. No Nebraska team in my lifetime had faced as much adversity (albeit, a lot of it self imposed) as the '76 squad, until the wheels came off in Solich's 2002 team. Despite posting the worst record of Osborne's career, this team was entertaining, in an often heartbreaking fashion.

Ferragamo, Clete Pillen, Dave Butterfield, Bob Lingenfelter, Tom Davis, Barney Cotton, Chuck Malito, Bobby Thomas, Ken Speath, a young Rick Berns and Roger Craig's big brother Curtis.

The memories, starting with that 6-6 tie with LSU down in Baton Rouge and ending with a New Years Eve win over Texas Tech in the Blue Bonnet Bowl are still very vivid. Somewhat comforting when I can't remember where the hell I left my keys.
I’m reading back through these and smiling. I was such a huge Curtis Craig fan! This is like picking a favorite child.

To me its the the woulda,coulda,shoulda 1999 team. If we could have kept the beat down going against CU ( we were up like 27-3 at half but survived 33-30.) I think we sneak past VT and play FSU and win the title. Frank wins his first and maybe things would have been different for him and the Huskers in the 2000's. We will never know.

To me its the the woulda,coulda,shoulda 1999 team. If we could have kept the beat down going against CU ( we were up like 27-3 at half but survived 33-30.) I think we sneak past VT and play FSU and win the title. Frank wins his first and maybe things would have been different for him and the Huskers in the 2000's. We will never know.
If we didn't lead the nation in fumbles and fumble away the first game against Texas we would have been undefeated

Voted 1999. Last team that I think had that 'scary' quality to it. Lost to Texas when we fumbled 100 times that game. Then avenged that loss in conference championship game. Still think they could have beat FSU or VA Tech on a neutral field.

2000 team has a place in my mind if for nothing more than the 7 touchdown beating they put on Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl. Back when I hated the Big 10 for always being overrated.
I really liked that ‘99 team as well. I don’t remember 1983 but I would likely vote for them had I watched them.

1969 - definitely not the best team (although the defense was one of the best). But it was the start of something big. After the disappointing seasons of 1967 and 1968, 1969 was my fourth season of being a Nebraska fan (I was very young way back then). The season started with a loss to USC where Devaney praised the play of the team (a very young team). Winning a game over Texas A&M in a fumble fest, a good win at Minnesota, then on to the Big 8. For me, it was a painful loss to Missouri. Starting the season 2-2 made think "here we go again". The Kansas game with Paul Rogers kicking a record 55 yard field goal (a record that lasted till Alex Henery against Colorado in 2008). And the pass interference that kept the team moving for the final touchdown (revenge for the losses to KU in 67 and 68).

That great defense took over in the next several games and the offense scored enough points to give me hope. Then the K-State game. I paced for the final 12:08 of the game to where the defense preserved the 10-7 win.

Last of the season was Oklahoma in Norman. The same place where we lost 0-47 the year before. After a bad punt and Oklahoma scoring on a run by Jack Mildren on the next play, it seemed like a repeat from 1968. We had a project to do that afternoon, so I missed most of the game. The game that made Jeff Kinney a star (he played well on the same field 2 years later).

Kicking Georgia around (referencing Paul Rogers 4 field goals) in the Sun Bowl capped a beautiful season that went on for 2 more undefeated seasons in 1970 and 1971. It was the best time for a young fan.

GET TICKETS

Back