• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Favorite Non-Title Team

What is your favorite non-National Title winning Husker team?

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 21 42.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Mr.Bennett

Recruit
2 Year Member
This favorite non-champ Husker team, not which one is the best. Favorite can mean whatever you want it to. For you, it could mean best. It could also be a team that marked a turning point, or fought hard despite being outmanned, or heck, it could just be a team you saw play while watching games with Grandma and Grandpa. Please - use the "other" option and tell us why.

I'll try to add some more years to the poll as they are suggested.

1963: 10-1, #6 ranking. Won Orange Bowl. This was Devaney's 2nd squad, and the first conference champs since the 1940 Rose Bowl Squad.

1982: 12-1, #3 ranking. Won Orange Bowl. More balanced than the 83 Scoring Explosion, this team came just as close to winning the title, losing to Penn State on a questionable call.

1983: 12-1, #2 ranking. Lost Orange Bowl. You know the story

1993: 11-1, #3 ranking. Lost Orange Bowl. Refuse to lose. Definitely not the most talented team on this list, but they just wouldn't quit.

1999: 12-1, #3 ranking. Won Fiesta Bowl. Our last conference champs. A QB controversy, a questionable offense and a dominate defense.

2000: 10-2, #8 ranking. Won Alamo Bowl. The last Husker team to be ranked #1 in the AP poll. I still contend that we might have won that Natty if it weren't for an ill timed snow squall in Manhattan.

2009: 10-4, #14 ranking Won Holiday Bowl. Amazingly good defense, Amazingly bad offense. At the end of the season we were one of the 5 best teams in the country and we were all Bo-lievers.

Last edited:

Voted 1999. Last team that I think had that 'scary' quality to it. Lost to Texas when we fumbled 100 times that game. Then avenged that loss in conference championship game. Still think they could have beat FSU or VA Tech on a neutral field.

2000 team has a place in my mind if for nothing more than the 7 touchdown beating they put on Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl. Back when I hated the Big 10 for always being overrated.

Wow, good stuff!! I also went 1982. All of the 83 team plus Roger Craig, Dave Rimington…. I love watching the 82 games on YouTube.
Iowa (sweet revenge) :)
Missouri (Rozier guts it out)
Penn State (great college football)
Oklahoma (back to back wins)
LSU (orange bowl)
Auburn (another beat down of SEC & Bo Jackson Lionel James)
https://youtu.be/bVrrjTnIw1g

Last edited:
1976, as much for what memories I have of life at that time and the teams ups and downs. No Nebraska team in my lifetime had faced as much adversity (albeit, a lot of it self imposed) as the '76 squad, until the wheels came off in Solich's 2002 team. Despite posting the worst record of Osborne's career, this team was entertaining, in an often heartbreaking fashion.

Ferragamo, Clete Pillen, Dave Butterfield, Bob Lingenfelter, Tom Davis, Barney Cotton, Chuck Malito, Bobby Thomas, Ken Speath, a young Rick Berns and Roger Craig's big brother Curtis.

The memories, starting with that 6-6 tie with LSU down in Baton Rouge and ending with a New Years Eve win over Texas Tech in the Blue Bonnet Bowl are still very vivid. Somewhat comforting when I can't remember where the hell I left my keys.

Another team a lot of folks forget about is the 1980 Nebraska team. One of the better defenses of the Osborne era and a pretty decent offense that was starting to fully morph into Osborne's I Option with Jeff Quinn under center.
I see your 1980 team and raise you the 1978 team. 1978 featured one of Nebraska greatest victories ever against the then-no.1 ranked Sooners. Barry Switzer has said many times his 1978 team was his most talented team ever, and I agree. Oklahoma was loaded that year, yet Nebraska beat them with one of the most intense, hard-hitting games I have ever seen.

Nebraska, unfortunately, lost to an underrated Missouri team a week later, otherwise they would have played for the national championship in the Orange Bowl, probably against Penn State. Nebraska didn't have a lot of superstars on that 1978 team, but they did have a lot of moxie and sheer determination such that the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm rather partial to the 92 team, actually. 1993 gets all the credit (including by me in listing options) but I think a lot of that started in 1992. Frankly, the 92 team was probably more talented. Will Shields, the most successful pro Husker of the modern era, Travis Hill, one of the most overlooked All Americans, and the We-Backs were all better than the '93 editions. Frazier was still a bit too young to put everything together. That said, tons of fun! A loss, but a really good game, against defending champs Washington. The Halloween beatdown of CU followed by crushing a top 15 KU squad the next week. Now... about Iowa State.

1999: 12-1, #3 ranking. Won Fiesta Bowl. Our last conference champs. A QB controversy, a questionable offense and a dominate defense.

This 1999 team was so good...BUT - the Fumbles ---- 50 Fumbles!!! 26 Lost!!! Crazy.

The Defense finished 3rd best and the offense was 13th best even with all the fumbles!
2nd or 16th best SRS or SOS... Always thought if not for the fumbles, this was a National Championship Team - might have been better than 1997. This Team should have played Florida St. for the CFNC.

Record: 12-1 (3rd of 114)
Points For: 411
Points/G: 31.6 (13th of 114)
Points Against:
Opp Pts/G: 11.5 (3rd of 114)
SRS: 21.15 (2nd of 114)
SOS: 5.15 (16th of 114)
Bowl Game: Won Fiesta Bowl 31-21 versus Tennessee

1708884601264.png

Last edited:

This 1999 team was so good...BUT - the Fumbles.
The Defense finished 3 best and the offense was 13th best even with all the fumbles!
2nd or 16th best SRS or SOS...

Record: 12-1 (3rd of 114)
Points For: 411
Points/G: 31.6 (13th of 114)
Points Against:
Opp Pts/G: 11.5 (3rd of 114)
SRS: 21.15 (2nd of 114)
SOS: 5.15 (16th of 114)
Bowl Game: Won Fiesta Bowl 31-21 versus Tennessee
We would have beat FSU that year

The beginning of the Steve Taylor era in 1986 was something to bottle up. Gone were the days of facing Oklahoma and jamelle Holieway with the likes of MacCathorn Clayton and Travis Turner. Doug Dubose was primed to electrify the nation and with names like Broderick Thomas, Danny Noonan, Jim Skow…on defense, it had the makings of special.

Dubose went down, and I remember the gut punch like we had just lost to Oklahoma again…in August.
Enter Keith “end zone” Jones and the electricity returned (first night game in memorial stadium) as Steve Taylor’s anticipated ability to walk on water appeared to be a possibility as we smashed the Seminoles in Lincoln, exacting revenge from the loss in 1985.
As it would be, the lose of Dubose and the Sooners were still too much to handle…

it did however, lead up to @treeplanter nominee (1987) and also my first game. Oklahoma :mad:

GET TICKETS

Back