• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Favorite Albums?

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Weather Report - Black market
Return to Forever - Romantic Wariior
The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper
Earth Wind & Fire - I am
Taj Mahal - Señor Blues
Howling Wolf - The London Sessions
Steely Dan - Aja
ZZ Top - Degüello
Blue House - Can't Sit Still
Dude! Romantic Warrior needs on my list as well, but I would have to have the LP so's I can eyeball the cover art. Have you found a suitable replacement for Steely Dan? Monkey House stands in well.

It was right there for me.

That and Bob Marley's - Legend.

A decade ago Rumors would have been in my top five, but a combination of evolving tastes and I'll admit it, overplay on my part, takes it down a notch. It's really interesting to think through my changing musical tastes going back to my first album and what I liked to listen to on the radio back in the '70 and all the steps in between.
i got the 35 anniversary deluxe edition that has a 2nd cd of live versions, and a 3rd cd that is acoustic/demo material. excellent stuff.

Interesting to see on these lists some mellow jazz next to some rockers. For those interested in jazz, I've found a current artist, Nils Landgren, whom does a wide range of stuff from funk to traditional jazz forms. He also works often with a pianist, Wolfgang Haffner.
Landgren is a Swedish trombonist, so it shouldn't shock that he chose to cover Abba (Album- Funky Abba). The miracle is that he has made the unlistenable not just palatable, but darned good. Likely you'd not recognize any of it without help.

These last few years I've been exploring more jazz, I lean to the traditional. Recently I've discovered Kenny Burrell, Coleman Hawkins, and re-discovered Jazz Crusaders. Hawkins is pretty much outstanding, he is credited as a pioneer in bringing Alto Sax into the world of Jazz. Listening to a lot of (new to me) Brubeck, too.

Naming albums is a bit tough for me. Over the last 15 years it's been either You Tube or downloads. I have in excess of 3000 songs downloaded in MP3 format.

Notable that no one listed anything by Dylan. I thought about "Blood on the Tracks" but despite the highs it has some lows (Idiot Wind and Jack of Hearts come to mind). Throw those two out and add some from "Desire" and you've got a GOAT. My choice would be either "Highway 61 Revisited" or "Bringing it All Back Home".

I should have added to my original post Steely Dan's "Aja" and "The Town and the City" by Los Lobos.

Having to take "History of American Jazz" at UNL as a prerequisite was a mind opening experience for me. It opened up some many genres that I never would have voluntarily sought out.

Same goes for Pandora in today's world. I get a lot of undiscovered (for me) talent streaming through.
Took same class…. Did the same to me as well. Led me to the blues ……. It’s good to broaden our genre’s in music. There really is so much out there.

These last few years I've been exploring more jazz, I lean to the traditional. Recently I've discovered Kenny Burrell, Coleman Hawkins, and re-discovered Jazz Crusaders. Hawkins is pretty much outstanding, he is credited as a pioneer in bringing Alto Sax into the world of Jazz. Listening to a lot of (new to me) Brubeck, too.

Naming albums is a bit tough for me. Over the last 15 years it's been either You Tube or downloads. I have in excess of 3000 songs downloaded in MP3 format.

Notable that no one listed anything by Dylan. I thought about "Blood on the Tracks" but despite the highs it has some lows (Idiot Wind and Jack of Hearts come to mind). Throw those two out and add some from "Desire" and you've got a GOAT. My choice would be either "Highway 61 Revisited" or "Bringing it All Back Home".

I should have added to my original post Steely Dan's "Aja" and "The Town and the City" by Los Lobos.
Given your interest in jazz, I would offer you try some Soft Machine- Pigling Bland and Penny Hitch are good cuts. Sopwith Camel's Fazon too. Not traditional, but early fusion.

Now this is a tough one for me. I dig so many different types of music that this is hard.

Let's see, I would have to go with the very first two albums I ever bought/owned were,
Led Zeppelin 4 and In Through The Out Door.

Hendrix Are You Experienced
REO Speedwagon High Infidelity

I'll have to think about it some more....

In no particular order:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
The Clash - London Calling
NOFX - The War on Errorism
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First
Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

In no particular order:

Robert Fripp set the standard for writing and recording music with King Crimson. Folk noticed and followed suit. A very quiet pioneer.

Robert Fripp set the standard for writing and recording music with King Crimson. Folk noticed and followed suit. A very quiet pioneer.
If you haven't already seen them, The Midnight Special is releasing vault performances that haven't been seen since they originally aired. There are a couple of early King Crimson clips that are worth a look!

Edit: Forgot to add, over on YouTube.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

London Calling... :Salute:

I've had some down time lately, been doing some thinking and created an additional list.

Back to Me-Kathleen Edwards
Rastaman Vibration-Bob Marley and the Wailers
Unplugged-Eric Clapton
Album III-Loudon Wainright III
Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers (saw them dozens of times at Farquhars in Omaha's Old Market)
Little Rock-Hayes Carll
Come Around Sundown (DeLuxe Edition)-Kings of Leon
Either/Or-Elliott Smith
Superpinkymandy-Beth Orton
Charango-Morcheeba
Abraxas-Santana
My Favourite Letters-Alice Russell
Last Days at the Lodge-Amos Lee
Car Wheels on a Gravel Road-Lucinda Williams
A Place in the World-Mary Chapin Carpenter

Last edited:

GET TICKETS