• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Favorite Albums?

Take Five-Dave Brubeck
The Road to Ensenada-Lyle Lovett
Street Corner Talkin'-Savoy Brown
Live at the Canteen-Traffic
Four Way Street-CSN&Y
Guero-Beck
Time Fades Away-Neil Young
Viva Terlingua-Jerry Jeff Walker
Tres Hombres-ZZ Top
Luck of the Draw-Bonnie Raitt
Abbey Road-Beatles
Crazy Heart Soundtrack-Various Artists
Naturally-JJ Cale

Music people give JJ Cale the credit he deserves, but I think sadly most of the 'walking around' folks missed out on a great writer and musician.

cant believe no one listed fleetwood mac - rumours yet.....

It was right there for me.

That and Bob Marley's - Legend.

A decade ago Rumors would have been in my top five, but a combination of evolving tastes and I'll admit it, overplay on my part, takes it down a notch. It's really interesting to think through my changing musical tastes going back to my first album and what I liked to listen to on the radio back in the '70 and all the steps in between.

A decade ago Rumors would have been in my top five, but a combination of evolving tastes and I'll admit it, overplay on my part, takes it down a notch. It's really interesting to think through my changing musical tastes going back to my first album and what I liked to listen to on the radio back in the '70 and all the steps in between.

Having to take "History of American Jazz" at UNL as a prerequisite was a mind opening experience for me. It opened up some many genres that I never would have voluntarily sought out.

Same goes for Pandora in today's world. I get a lot of undiscovered (for me) talent streaming through.

Last edited:

AC/DC- Back in Black
Doobie Brothers- Captain and Me
Kiss- Dressed to Kill....lol..I know...I know.
Foreigner- All of their albums
Boston- Boston

Back in Black is probably the only album that I like every song. So many favorite songs though from probably a hundred different artists and bands though.
Brother, Captain and Me would be on that island with me. However, it has two songs I can do without, the most famous ones, so it falters in this discussion for me. Boston is a great choice- every cut was a revelation at the time of its release.

Take Five-Dave Brubeck
The Road to Ensenada-Lyle Lovett
Street Corner Talkin'-Savoy Brown
Live at the Canteen-Traffic
Four Way Street-CSN&Y
Guero-Beck
Time Fades Away-Neil Young
Viva Terlingua-Jerry Jeff Walker
Tres Hombres-ZZ Top
Luck of the Draw-Bonnie Raitt
Abbey Road-Beatles
Crazy Heart Soundtrack-Various Artists
Naturally-JJ Cale
I was struggling to pick a Beatles, and those two last partner albums, Abby Road and Let It Be, are equally worthy. I was leaning Let It Be simply because of a renewed appreciation for Get Back. Bonnie should be in there somehow, but I'm unable to decide on one.

Another 10 just for the heck of it:
Stephen Stills- Manassass
Chicago 3
Fleetwood Mac- Its A Mystery To Me
Captain Beyond- Sufficiently Breathless
Isley Brothers- 3+3
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express- Closer To It
Bruce Hornsby-Spirit Trail
General Public- Rub It Better
Robin Trower- Bridge Of Sighs
Sopwith Camel- The Mighty Hump Returns From the Moon

Having to take "History of American Jazz" at UNL as a prerequisite was a mind opening experience for me. It opened up some many genres that I never would have voluntarily sought out.

Same goes for Pandora in today's world. I get a lot of undiscovered (for me) talent streaming through.
Interesting to see on these lists some mellow jazz next to some rockers. For those interested in jazz, I've found a current artist, Nils Landgren, whom does a wide range of stuff from funk to traditional jazz forms. He also works often with a pianist, Wolfgang Haffner.
Landgren is a Swedish trombonist, so it shouldn't shock that he chose to cover Abba (Album- Funky Abba). The miracle is that he has made the unlistenable not just palatable, but darned good. Likely you'd not recognize any of it without help.

cant believe no one listed fleetwood mac - rumours yet.....

Lindsey Buckingham in my opinion is one of the greatest guitar players.......ever. Not using a pick makes it even more amazing to me.

But.........it is the only concert I have ever been to that I fell asleep ( and not from the beer...lol ).

In no particular order, and current faves. This is hard coming up with ten, but this can change on a dime.

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.

Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps From The Move

Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

The Cult - Love

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

The Black Crowes - The Southern Musical and Harmony Companion

The Wailers - Burnin'

That was difficult. Ten more in a while, ect.....

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Weather Report - Black market
Return to Forever - Romantic Wariior
The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper
Earth Wind & Fire - I am
Taj Mahal - Señor Blues
Howling Wolf - The London Sessions
Steely Dan - Aja
ZZ Top - Degüello
Blue House - Can't Sit Still

In no particular order, and current faves. This is hard coming up with ten, but this can change on a dime.

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.

Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps From The Move

Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

The Cult - Love

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette

The Black Crowes - The Southern Musical and Harmony Companion

The Wailers - Burnin'

That was difficult. Ten more in a while, ect.....
Yeah, Exile was on my mind as well, good call. Tough to choose a single Bowie effort.
On my list was Ryuichi Sakamoto, and you would not appear to find interest with him, but....
The first of his albums I bought (Neo Geo) back in early 80s was a mix of rock, jazz, and much organic Japanese instrumentation lending to genre-defying stuff. There is one smooth, piano bar-ish tune that features a crooning voice.
Decades later, I discovered that voice was Iggy Pop. Say what?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back