• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN Projecting us

50th and 5.5 wins to 6.5 losses. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/fpi

I'm alright with these low projections. Just makes it feel better when they miss it so bad. They say our schedule is 29th but we play 4 teams in the top 12 and three of them are on the road. I guess they look at overall strength and factor in the really bad teams against the really tough ones.
With so many unknowns at so many key positions, computers error on the side of predicting lower. Just like last year where a new QB and new DC made it statistically likely we would have a tough year. Anyone remember the thread I started where someone predicted 7-5 for us and it was blasphemy? "A new QB that fits our system and a new DC that fits the personnel we have will surely result in more wins!" We are statistically more likely to stumble than we are to be successful year 1, but my glass is half full outlook is 8 wins.

These guys have their metrics and don't seem to consider any dramatic changes with the team. They're only using numbers. (Kind of like mock drafts. 'Experts' have 5 different players coming to the Panthers with the 24th pick.)

Me personally I like it that we aren't getting the love. Its not like we need to start the season ranked high so we have a chance to get into the Championship game. I also believe we are going to be remarkably better but with this schedule I think we are more likely to still see the losses accumulate but at least the other side won't mark it down as a win early in the 2nd quarter.

Well, there is this to consider...ESPN predicted UCF would be a 7-5 or 8-4 team last season. They ended up 13-0.

https://247sports.com/college/centr...ughes-others-impress-at-UCF-Pro-Day-116835002

There is also this - In 1962 Bob Devaney took over a Husker team that had 3 wins, 6 losses and a tie in 1961.

Bob Devaney's 1962 team had 9 wins and 2 losses.

In his 1st year at the helm can SF do even better than BD did?

Of course he can!

:Koolaid2:

Note: BD played Michigan at Ann Arbor in his 1st season at NU. Scott Frost played Michigan at Ann Arbor in his 1st season at UCF. Both coaches eventually went on to win National Championships at those 2 schools. In his 1st season at NU, SF will be playing Michigan at Ann Arbor.

:Koolaid2:

Last edited:

This is not going to happen! They’ll still likely lose four or five games, but honestly, watching the team give up last year was painful. They didn’t lose eight games because they lacked talent. It felt more like the head coach was just going through nonsense. And the players didn’t seem to care anymore for him!
Absolutely. They will win 6 games on attitude alone. Factor in the better staff and 8 wins should be very possible.

Reactions: RMR
50th and 5.5 wins to 6.5 losses. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/fpi

I'm alright with these low projections. Just makes it feel better when they miss it so bad. They say our schedule is 29th but we play 4 teams in the top 12 and three of them are on the road. I guess they look at overall strength and factor in the really bad teams against the really tough ones.
Always love it when espn puts their feet in their mouths!!
Another-Foot-in-Mouth-Moment-from-Joe-Hockey-Cartoon-by-FridayMash.jpg

Each new season gives the Huskers the opportunity to win every game. That is what makes it so exciting. This team may not win every game, but I think they will believe they can win every game.

Did ESPN predict that UCF would be unbeaten last season with a Peach Bowl win over Auburn?

That just came to mind, reading the first part of this. I would imagine they were favored to win more than .500, but I doubt they thought, going undefeated. No one can predict 100%

That just came to mind, reading the first part of this. I would imagine they were favored to win more than .500, but I doubt they thought, going undefeated. No one can predict 100%

I wonder how many points per game ESPN thinks our offense will average this season? After we put up 50 on Akron, ESPN may want to rethink what they are saying now.

Last edited:
I wonder how many points per game ESPN thinks our offense will average this season. After we put up 50 on Akron, ESPN may want to rethink what they are saying now.
Hard to say. If you think back, we have dominated preseason teams a lot, but when we face our peers, we fell on our faces. We'll just have to wait and see; I cannot wait! :)

I wonder how many points per game ESPN thinks our offense will average this season. After we put up 50 on Akron, ESPN may want to rethink what they are saying now.
Offense shouldn't be the problem.

Hard to say. If you think back, we have dominated preseason teams a lot, but when we face our peers, we fell on our faces. We'll just have to wait and see; I cannot wait! :)

SF has much more overall talent at QB than he had at UCF...and most likely better overall talent at every other offensive position as well.

With so much QB talent to choose from, surely SF will have a QB or 2 that will have this offense racing down the field. Average scoring drives under 2.5 minutes? Why not?

Unlike TO's offenses, SF's offense will not wear down defenses with power and physicality. He will do it more with pace and tempo.

QZUEFKCNRPJZTSL.20150915004423.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back