• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN Projecting us

ESPN is simply predicting a team that went 4-8 will do slightly better against a tougher schedule with a new coach and his new system.

Won’t they be pleasantly surprised when the Huskers win 8.

If I wasn't completely sure about the sarcasm in BubbaGene's comments, I can be sure that you are stirring the pot. :Stirthepot:

Count me as one who is NOT outraged NOR calling for a conspiracy investigation. I am simply disinvested in ESPN because or their clear bias and ignorance towards anything outside SEC land. :Balloons:
Honestly, I could give two you know what about ESPN. My comparison was not stirring the pot, just saying that I have the up most confidence in the new staff. I didn't see us going from 5-7 (the worst season I'd ever witnessed at the time) to 9-4 that fast. I do however believe that our 4-8 squad is capable of pulling off 10 wins this season.

We won four games last year. An outsider would find it hard to believe that we had better talent than the teams that beat us. We often state we do as a "truth," but until a few of these "more talented" players block "less talented" players on other teams, or "more talented" DBs stop "less talented" receivers from catching pass, or "more talented" defensive players tackle "less talented players" from opposing teams etc., the "truth" is they are not more talented. They might have been rated as more talented coming out of high school, but that is yesterday's news.

So if you don't buy that we have more talented players (and most who are not Husker fans must not think so), why would you predict they would beat the teams that beat them last year, assuming those teams have not had major fall off among those who played for them last year? To a rational observer the ESPN predictions are eminently reasonable and not a form of hating on Nebraska.

So I'm not bothered by those kinds of predictions. I believe, however, that we will win more than they predict, probably 6 or 7, games on the basis of increased effort by our players and an adrenaline shot from a couple of our transfers and JC recruits. We might even win more based on our new systems and coaching - they will be new to the BIG this year and it will take others time to adjust.

But until our so-called talented players improve dramatically, we are underestimating the players on other teams and exaggerating our talent. They might make that kind of improvement and if they do the credit should go squarely to the new coaching staff. But based on last year, they will have to demonstrate it to convince most non-Husker fans, not just say it.

As for Devaney, that was one of the greatest turn arounds ever. Of course, he had partial qualifiers and no scholarship limitations and a cushy schedule in the Big Seven or Eight or whatever we were in at that time, schedules in which we generally had at most two or three teams that were as good as we were. so conditions were a bit different. But still... a great turnaround and establishment of a winning attitude. Maybe this new staff can duplicate that. Hope so.

Sept 29, 1962 - NU 25 Michigan 13

02michigan_thornton.jpg
claridge1962michigan.jpg
images
1951tdclaridge.jpg
1.1.jpg

Will we restore the pipeline this year?

070115b.jpg

Is that NU winning with the all white uniforms in the game that essentially started the great run!!???

hmmph... so it wasn't a curse afterall.....

I’m a little late to this thread, but ESPN had Florida State #4 and Texas #24 last preseason. Florida State and Texas both finished 7-6. It’s not a perfect ranking and it’s nothing to get too flustered about.

First and foremost. Its ESPN. Why is anybody listening to them about anything? 

Second, its ESPN, enough said. 

Third. I don't think they gave even a moments thought to anything going on in Lincoln, good or bad. They have there head so far up the SEC portal that they have no idea what is really going on in Nebraska. 

Fourth. No computer can possibly predict what will come out of Lincoln this year. 

Fifth. It is possible that the huskers could become giant killers year one. Possible but not likely - not entirely predictable. They could go undefeated. Don't destroy me for saying it. One mistake we may make is in not believing things are possible. I think they will go 8-4 and I will be pissed when they blow a couple games they should have won and I will act as if I predicted the couple games they win that they should have lost. 

Sixth. My goal is to remain balanced (see previous paragraph) for the next 8 months. I want to be able to enjoy the growth as it happens. I want enjoy seeing the look in the eyes of the opposing yap trappers. 

Seventh. The things I look for are... a physically dominating performance... a wide spread relentless diverse offense and a risk taking fast and fearless defense... a well prepared game plan with excellent in game adjustments... a clear and honest representation from the coaching staff... the wins will come... 

Seventh. And I don't undervalue this. I am grateful for the passion that IS husker nation. We have so much joy to share here, and I don't want to take it for granted. Lets get excited and have great hope. 

Eighth. Its just ESPN. Since when do they have anything to say that we should care to listen to? I wonder what kind of preseason predictions will come from the coaches and media in the B1G? 

GO BIG RED
Waaaaahhhh! ESPN! :Cry:

You DO understand this is essentially a computer projection? Right? Newsflash....ESPN doesn't hate nebraska.

The amount of negativity we see from these “fans” hoping NU can win five games is astonishing. The losses to particular B1G schools some fans are expecting is astonishing.

This is not the same team from last year! At least four losses that we dealt with last year are not likely to repeat this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back