• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked eliminate the non-full tackle/contact rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommie Frazier in his chat show this week talked about how they ran the 1s vs. the 1s. They were very competitive and hit hard, and hated being shown up. Virtually enemies while practicing, but on game days they would be the ones who would put you on their shoulders for making the same play vs. the opponent.

You play as you practice. If not full tilt, hitting hard in practice...... then shouldn't be much of a surprise on Saturdays if/when it happens during the game as well.

Some random thoughts on this:

- The idea of having one of the "other 104" step up sounds great, but last year if Lavonte David got hurt in practice would you want Micah Kreikmeier starting against Iowa?
- In one of his columns this week, Dirk Chatlain said the "biggest defensive problem isn't the physical inability to tackle. It's the inability to get in proper position to tackle."
- If internet message boards had existed in the late 80s, would they have been filled with guys knocking the 9-3 Osborne teams for not doing things the way they did 'em on the Devaney championship teams?

I also volunteer to be a tackling dumby at practice...as long as my season tickets get upgraded to sideline passes...just sayin

Some random thoughts on this:

- The idea of having one of the "other 104" step up sounds great, but last year if Lavonte David got hurt in practice would you want Micah Kreikmeier starting against Iowa?
- In one of his columns this week, Dirk Chatlain said the "biggest defensive problem isn't the physical inability to tackle. It's the inability to get in proper position to tackle."
- If internet message boards had existed in the late 80s, would they have been filled with guys knocking the 9-3 Osborne teams for not doing things the way they did 'em on the Devaney championship teams?

Bingo! Close the thread.

I suggest huskermax members volunteer as ball carriers for practice. Its the least we can do.

Edit: hopefully, we wouldn't have to slow down to let them catch us. (I know. That's harsh.)
And if we get lucky and haven't signed a waiver we can sue the coaches and University for full disability!:Biggrin:

Last edited:
Schollie limits don't affect how you hit & tackle.

But they DO effect your depth, which as was stated earlier in the thread...it's really easy to go "live" during practice when your 2's are just as good as your 1's. With the scholarship limits since the late 90's, it is harder to build that kind of depth, and thus you can't get too many guys injured.

...pretty sure the 85 number went into effect in 92...I could be wrong...anyone know for sure?

I looked it up and you are correct :)
I incorrectly thought it happened a few years later than that (around the same time as the start of the Big 12).

I still contend that unless you are a perennial top 5-10 team, it is hard to build that kind of depth. I do believe that you tend to play like you practice, which could make non-contact drills less effective than live contact. It would be interesting to see how many other programs do live contact during the weekly practice and how much they do, especially your top 10-20 teams - not sure how you would find that out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back