• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked eliminate the non-full tackle/contact rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskers57

Husker Fan
15 Year Member
would be a good move...if the player gets hurt, there's 104 others to step up.

That might start to solve some of our tackling/defense issues.

That and the 2 gap, and players playing a yard off the line, at least according to some former players.

Last edited:
would be a good move...if the player gets hurt, there's 104 others to step up.

That might start to solve some of our tackling/defense issues.

Truthfully, that is a bad idea to a certain extent. Yes, you want them being physical, but there are drills that work on tackling that can be performed during and outside of practice. If we have to rely on the 104th guy on the roster, then we won't accomplish much more than we currently are getting on the field. Example.....Rex goes down, not a huge drop with Ameer & Braylon, but we can obviously see the importance and effectiveness, even if its just play calling alone, that we were missing on the field.

No knock on the walk-ons, but honestly, some of them will never see playing time as their role is to enhance the guys ahead of them.

Truthfully, that is a bad idea to a certain extent. Yes, you want them being physical, but there are drills that work on tackling that can be performed during and outside of practice. If we have to rely on the 104th guy on the roster, then we won't accomplish much more than we currently are getting on the field. Example.....Rex goes down, not a huge drop with Ameer & Braylon, but we can obviously see the importance and effectiveness, even if its just play calling alone, that we were missing on the field.

No knock on the walk-ons, but honestly, some of them will never see playing time as their role is to enhance the guys ahead of them.

back in the early/mid 90s when the 1 v 1s were going on at full speed/contact, how many injuries did we sustain in practice?

Also, that's what scout team players are for...sacrificial lambs so to speak. ;) They're there to make the 1, 2s and 3s better and themselves included.

Last edited:

I suggest huskermax members volunteer as ball carriers for practice. Its the least we can do.

Edit: hopefully, we wouldn't have to slow down to let them catch us. (I know. That's harsh.)

Last edited:

That's why they are the ones you tackle! :Biggrin:

I was having this discussion just the other day... I have to ask how much of the technique in tackling is due to the lack of practice. I equated it to Hockey and the hits that are now causing a lot of problems in the NHL. In the Juniors, players are not allowed to hit each other until after the age of 12, so one can only image what happens then. Players not only do not know how TO hit, but also how to TAKE a hit. I am not fully equating the two, but without time to have full speed contact in practice, tackles like what PJ Smith attempted last week would have a bit more understanding.

back in the early/mid 90s when the 1 v 1s were going on at full speed/contact, how many injuries did we sustain in practice?

Also, that's what scout team players are for...sacrificial lambs so to speak. ;) They're there to make the 1, 2s and 3s better and themselves included.

I remember quite a few injuries being sustained throughout the week, but because of how the team was built, we rarely noticed it because the 2nd string was a monster also. & It's been a long time since the early and mid 90s. One of the biggest influences is the amount of scholarships allowed. As I stated, you don't want to depend on walk-ons to win your games, you would like to have them to help develop the team over all. Every once in a while you'll have that walk on whom wants to be depended upon for more and they will show who they are on the field, but with the limitations that we face today with putting rosters together that they didn't have say 15-20 years ago, we can construct a practice in the same manor. Maybe in the SEC as most of those teams still go by the 1992 rules in recruiting ;)

I was having this discussion just the other day... I have to ask how much of the technique in tackling is due to the lack of practice. I equated it to Hockey and the hits that are now causing a lot of problems in the NHL. In the Juniors, players are not allowed to hit each other until after the age of 12, so one can only image what happens then. Players not only do not know how TO hit, but also how to TAKE a hit. I am not fully equating the two, but without time to have full speed contact in practice, tackles like what PJ Smith attempted last week would have a bit more understanding.

The way practices are constructed, time is not a factor when specific techniques are concerned. Players have before and after practice as well as during practice to work on specifics. P.J.'s silly attempt, as a former DB myself, was a form of laziness, lack of desire, and/or selfishness (wanting to make a highlight reel by having a ball carrier bounce off them from an impact). My coach use to have consequences for players who did that, especially as often as a lot of players do. Time is more of a factor when trying to get a specific scheme down, because you want to detail everything and run it over and over again with everyone you plan on using in the next game, no matter if they are starting or not. There is no excuse for P.J. or anyone else on the defense to tackle so poorly, especially starters as they get more reps than other players.

The way practices are constructed, time is not a factor when specific techniques are concerned. Players have before and after practice as well as during practice to work on specifics. P.J.'s silly attempt, as a former DB myself, was a form of laziness, lack of desire, and/or selfishness (wanting to make a highlight reel by having a ball carrier bounce off them from an impact). My coach use to have consequences for players who did that, especially as often as a lot of players do. Time is more of a factor when trying to get a specific scheme down, because you want to detail everything and run it over and over again with everyone you plan on using in the next game, no matter if they are starting or not. There is no excuse for P.J. or anyone else on the defense to tackle so poorly, especially starters as they get more reps than other players.

Again, not saying that his attempt was anything more than laziness, however lack of full speed contact drills in practice can lead to laziness as well. When I played, granted the better part of 25 years ago, we spent a good portion of practice on 1 on 1, 3 on 2 and 5 on 4, full contact and I rarely remember major injuries but I can tell you we knew how to hit, how to take a hit and how to tackle.

Last edited:

kids these days are wussies....they need to toughen up and the only way to do that is to toughen up practices.

http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showt...uys-tomorrow&p=1060476&viewfull=1#post1060476

My friend Bob Haws sent me this message that I share:" I had not thought about Spain Musgrove in a long time. I do recall a quote from Dr. Tom when Calahan was fired. "Teams used to hate to play us because they got hit so hard. They don't say that anymore.". Arkansas State better say something like that at the end of tomorrow's game." Yeah, I kinda remember that teams used to say the trouble with playing the Huskers is that it was often two losses, the one after NU when guys were so beaten up they lost again.

My friend Bob Haws sent me this message that I share:" I had not thought about Spain Musgrove in a long time. I do recall a quote from Dr. Tom when Calahan was fired. "Teams used to hate to play us because they got hit so hard. They don't say that anymore.". Arkansas State better say something like that at the end of tomorrow's game." Yeah, I kinda remember that teams used to say the trouble with playing the Huskers is that it was often two losses, the one after NU when guys were so beaten up they lost again.
So much so this. That is why NU could walk into so many stadiums and they had already won the game before it started. That and they were really good, but they'd always beat the crap out of the other team. Man how I miss those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back