• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Raiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the argument that Raiola is better off going to Georgia because they are national championship contenders and we aren't. Josh Allen went to Wyoming and things turned out pretty well for him in the NFL. Patrick Mahomes went to Texas Tech.

Ultimately, it's how you play on the field, not what school you went to. You may get more exposure at some schools, but if you perform at a school like Nebraska, you will be noticed.

Both Allen and Mahomes were not big-time recruits coming out of high school. Josh Allen had 2 stars from Rivals and ended up going the JUCO route to start before Wyoming discovered him. Mahomes had 3 stars.

Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, USC etc. aren't typically going hard for 2 and 3-star kids. If they were 4 or 5-star recruits, they wouldn't have gone to Wyoming or Texas Tech.

Last edited:

Great point...pulled the quote off the innerweb. He did start out as a walk-on, that much IS true...
See, that's the beauty about the internet, it's so easy to change history. Wasn't there a book or movie explaining the benefits of this?

Glad it's over. I wasn't really counting on Dylan being a Husker -- and I don't blame the kid one bit for choosing Georgia.
Not surprised he chose Georgia, but why do it so soon? I wish he would have taken some more time with NU and USC so he could be sure. And we were just getting started on this thread with insightful comments, too bad they will be cut short.

Not surprised he chose Georgia, but why do it so soon? I wish he would have taken some more time with NU and USC so he could be sure. And we were just getting started on this thread with insightful comments, too bad they will be cut short.

Considering he'd originally communicated he'd make his decision in March, it's not necessarily so soon. I get wanting the decision done now, so he can go enjoy his summer without all the recruiting distractions. I imagine it's gets old and is very time consuming.

But yes, I wish this thread could have continued for a couple hundred more pages. :Biggrin:

Both Allen and Mahomes were not big-time recruits coming out of high school. Josh Allen had 2 stars from Rivals and ended up going the JUCO route to start before Wyoming discovered him. Mahomes had 3 stars.

Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, USC etc. aren't typically going hard for 2 and 3-star kids. If they were 4 or 5-star recruits, they wouldn't have gone to Wyoming or Texas Tech.
The point isn't how many stars someone had coming out of high school. The point is that you don't need to go to a school like Georgia to be an NFL quarterback. Allen and Mahomes are both much better quarterbacks than Stetson Bennett will ever be. Allen and Mahomes performed on the field (regardless of the fact they weren't playing for playoff teams) and were recognized as prospects by the NFL.

Last edited:

Exactly . . . Allen & Mahomes were lesser-recruited dudes coming out of HS who flew under the radar and drew attention to themselves with their play on the field to become what they are. They didn't have the option to go to a top 5 team, much less the reigning champ. Understandable that the best QB in the country might want to go to a powerhouse vs a rebuild, even if it's where he has family connections.

The point isn't how many stars someone had coming out of high school. The point is that you don't need to go to a school like Georgia to be an NFL quarterback. Allen and Mahomes are both much better quarterbacks than Stetson Bennett will ever be. Allen and Mahomes performed on the field (regardless of the fact they weren't playing for playoff teams) and were recognized as prospects by the NFL.

Actually, the point is very much the stars.

Dylan is a 5-star recruit. How many of the #1 overall recruits do you see going to schools like Wyoming and Texas Tech? You can't believe if Josh Allen had 5 stars, he would have still chosen Wyoming. They were the only school to offer him.

Sure, sometimes 3-star recruits end up NFL stars. Sometimes 5-star recruits flop. That happens. But this is all about recruiting a 5-star QB coming out of high school.

If I had 5-stars, my preference would be to be to surround myself with 4 and 5-star playmakers and an elite line to protect me -- with NFL potential to maximize my own. That's how it works many more times than the amazing story of Josh Allen.

We both know Dylan wouldn't have even sniffed Nebraska if not for his family ties. That's the only reason we even had a shot. And ultimately, it wasn't enough. I'm simply not at all surprised. That's just how it works.

Last edited:

Actually, the point is very much the stars.

Dylan is a 5-star recruit. How many of the #1 overall recruits do you see going to schools like Wyoming and Texas Tech? You can't believe if Josh Allen had 5 stars, he would have still chosen Wyoming. They were the only school to offer him.

Sure, sometimes 3-star recruits end up NFL stars. Sometimes 5-star recruits flop. That happens. But this is all about recruiting a 5-star QB coming out of high school.

We both know Dylan wouldn't have even sniffed Nebraska if not for his family ties. That's the only reason we even had a shot.
Yes, I get the fact that Georgia wants 4 and 5 star players and that Wyoming doesn't get players like that. But that doesn't that Raiola has a better shot in the NFL if he goes to Georgia rather than Nebraska.

A.J. McCarron won three national championships at Alabama. And he was the starting quarterback for two of those teams. But he had no NFL success and most recently played for an XFL team because he couldn't make an NFL roster.

So my point is that playing at the bluest of the blueblood programs didn't guarantee McCarron NFL success. And playing at Wyoming didn't preclude Allen from having NFL success. So from the standpoint of Raiola, playing at Georgia doesn't mean that his future prospects will be better. If Raiola lives up to expectations, he will have a bright future regardless of whether he plays at Georgia or Nebraska. But if he plays like Hunter Johnson (a former five-star quarterback who committed to Clemson before transferring to Northwestern), he will need to do something like sell insurance to make a living.

Put simply, performance on the field matters a lot more than where you went to school.

Yes, I get the fact that Georgia wants 4 and 5 star players and that Wyoming doesn't get players like that. But that doesn't that Raiola has a better shot in the NFL if he goes to Georgia rather than Nebraska.

A.J. McCarron won three national championships at Alabama. And he was the starting quarterback for two of those teams. But he had no NFL success and most recently played for an XFL team because he couldn't make an NFL roster.

So my point is that playing at the bluest of the blueblood programs didn't guarantee McCarron NFL success. And playing at Wyoming didn't preclude Allen from having NFL success. So from the standpoint of Raiola, playing at Georgia doesn't mean that his future prospects will be better. If Raiola lives up to expectations, he will have a bright future regardless of whether he plays at Georgia or Nebraska. But if he plays like Hunter Johnson (a former five-star quarterback who committed to Clemson before transferring to Northwestern), he will need to do something like sell insurance to make a living.

Put simply, performance on the field matters a lot more than where you went to school.

You are listing anomalies, which always exist. But they aren't the norm. Exceptions to the rule do not make a new rule -- and are typically not guidance for making decisions.

You are debating Dylan making a choice that any other 5-star QB would have made. Surround yourself with NFL-type talent in college. Otherwise, why doesn't every 5-star recruit (regardless of position) just play wherever? College football would be wide open every season if that was the case. Instead, the rich get richer. That's how the sport has always worked.

Last edited:
I guess Donovan Raiola better brush up his résumé. He's probably not going to be here much longer ;) :p
Just wait and watch this iteration of the O-Line, if they’re substantially improved then what are you willing to speculate? To me, he’s got a great chance on doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back