• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Raiola Tonight!!! What to watch

I painfully watched the whole game. Not sure I have ever seen so many turnovers. I get it. They hadn't practiced much. I'm not criticizing the performance. Just how painful it was to watch. Same thing with all the sideline interviews. That is somewhat normal for these all American games but the overall camera shots and lack of replay because they were interviewing a player made it a really tough game to watch.

I was really interested in this game because of some of the film I have watched on Dylan. He re-affirmed my initial thoughts on his arm. He has a big powerful arm and he gets the balls to his receivers hands at a high frequency with a really quick release. This all inspite of blocking. I think their offensive line was getting man-handled a little too much so in some ways, we were able to see a picture of what Nebraska quarterbacks have had to deal with in the past.

Also, he got almost zero help from his receivers. Dropped balls when they were wide open and little or no catches during tight coverage. Also seems to be a problem we have had receivers in the past. A lack of guys who will own the ball when it is in the air. We just have to find receivers that will pull those balls in when they are in their hands.

On the downside with DR. I think we saw the limitations with the problems that were mentioned above. They didn't move the ball very well. I'm not saying Dylan isn't mobile, but he's not going to be a guy that breaks big running plays for you on blown passing plays. He also threw some balls into a lot of one-on-one close matchups. That's fine with receivers that go and get it but it could lead to interceptions playing against better talent.

The other good news is he made the other quarterbacks look terrible. I think between the other 3 they had like 10 turnovers. Dylan had one that was a floating knuckleball with nothing on it. Bad camera angles and not much for a replay but it looked like something that was tipped at the line of scrimmage or arm hit during the throw. It just came out really bad and wobbled the whole time.
I’d add one thing that a guy I get some of my information from. His first words of describing DR last night was “he looked comfortable”.

I painfully watched the whole game. Not sure I have ever seen so many turnovers. I get it. They hadn't practiced much. I'm not criticizing the performance. Just how painful it was to watch. Same thing with all the sideline interviews. That is somewhat normal for these all American games but the overall camera shots and lack of replay because they were interviewing a player made it a really tough game to watch.

I was really interested in this game because of some of the film I have watched on Dylan. He re-affirmed my initial thoughts on his arm. He has a big powerful arm and he gets the balls to his receivers hands at a high frequency with a really quick release. This all inspite of blocking. I think their offensive line was getting man-handled a little too much so in some ways, we were able to see a picture of what Nebraska quarterbacks have had to deal with in the past.

Also, he got almost zero help from his receivers. Dropped balls when they were wide open and little or no catches during tight coverage. Also seems to be a problem we have had receivers in the past. A lack of guys who will own the ball when it is in the air. We just have to find receivers that will pull those balls in when they are in their hands.

On the downside with DR. I think we saw the limitations with the problems that were mentioned above. They didn't move the ball very well. I'm not saying Dylan isn't mobile, but he's not going to be a guy that breaks big running plays for you on blown passing plays. He also threw some balls into a lot of one-on-one close matchups. That's fine with receivers that go and get it but it could lead to interceptions playing against better talent.

The other good news is he made the other quarterbacks look terrible. I think between the other 3 they had like 10 turnovers. Dylan had one that was a floating knuckleball with nothing on it. Bad camera angles and not much for a replay but it looked like something that was tipped at the line of scrimmage or arm hit during the throw. It just came out really bad and wobbled the whole time.
The interception seemed like a miscommunication to me. Looked like DR thought his guy was gonna cut to the sideline, instead he went long. Not gonna fault anyone for that.

SPT-poly-bowl-24-2168.jpg

SPT-poly-bowl-24-1947.jpg

SPT-poly-bowl-24-1951.jpg

1705773546031.jpeg

He made the catch, which is all you can ask, but boy I would feel more comfortable if he looked that ball into his hands. But his goal isn't to make me comfortable, just to catch it and get up field, which he did!

While it wasn’t a game suited to showcase offensive line play, Taumau did move around well. He had a few plays where he was the pulling guard and he was quick with good footwork. He maintained good leverage and body positioning.

I had some concerns if he was good to go following his injury and I no longer have that concern. His play, given the constraints of only three practices, confirmed in my mind that he is indeed a great addition to our offensive line recruitment class. The fact that is N, and the Raiola island connection gives us a solid inroad to be able to tap into the impressive talent that comes from Hawaii.

On Nelson, I really think he has talent. I loved that last catch where he aggressively attacked to get that first down. Didn‘t pussyfoot and went full force and got it. That is the mindset that position needs. Great hands, good blocker, shows no fear, aggressive. Add a little muscle to that mass and he might prove to be special.

While it wasn’t a game suited to showcase offensive line play, Taumau did move around well. He had a few plays where he was the pulling guard and he was quick with good footwork. He maintained good leverage and body positioning.

I had some concerns if he was good to go following his injury and I no longer have that concern. His play, given the constraints of only three practices, confirmed in my mind that he is indeed a great addition to our offensive line recruitment class. The fact that is N, and the Raiola island connection gives us a solid inroad to be able to tap into the impressive talent that comes from Hawaii.

On Nelson, I really think he has talent. I loved that last catch where he aggressively attacked to get that first down. Didn‘t pussyfoot and went full force and got it. That is the mindset that position needs. Great hands, good blocker, shows no fear, aggressive. Add a little muscle to that mass and he might prove to be special.
Agree. Fidone is fast and of course now bigger, and pure hustle, but Carter brings a certain smoothness

DR will start. I have even less doubt now. The pick wasn’t on him at all. He has very rare pocket presence and an even more rare arm. He won’t be rattled a bit.

I think Nelson is a true freakish player. I didn’t realize how fast he was. I don’t see how we keep him off the field. What he brings us is very rare—big enough to get away with 22 personnel (two TEs) but the actual speed to split out and have 3 WR without subbing. I think he and Fidone will see the field together a decent amount. He’s also fast enough to put in the backfield. Wow.

Taumua looks outstanding. Probably the best OL recruit we’ve had in some time. Very mobile for his already huge frame.

Zero disappointments here. These are great recruits.

Another drop though a defender made a good play.

For most, a lot of rust. A month or more off with no practice, then little practice with everything new.
Yeah, every spring and fall we hear defense is ahead of offense until offense gets their repetitions. A week with strangers is not goingn to get you there. Still its hard to understand how many of these
I understand, but I don't think that should affect catching the ball, especially when it is that well thrown.
Yes. Wish i had a clip of all passes to receivers to watch closer and in slow motion. Except for miscommunication on interception, all hit hands. Seems like rust shouldn't affect this much.

However, low scoring offense is understandable for a bunch of strangers trying to learn a playbook in a week. Defense is always ahead in this scenario.

The interception seemed like a miscommunication to me. Looked like DR thought his guy was gonna cut to the sideline, instead he went long. Not gonna fault anyone for that.
The pass looked liked a wounded duck but I believe you're right.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back