• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
But it's still football. Yes, the AAC isn't the Big 10. But it's all relative because they were beating AAC teams with an AAC roster, not a Big 10 roster.
I do think it's tougher than they thought bringing their philosophies to Lincoln. But to your point, we are scoring 9 points a game our last 3 conference games. What went so wrong that the whole "I'm hoping the B1G has to adjust to us" statement at his hiring press conference couldn't be less accurate. Minnesota and Northwestern are slowing us down, let alone the Ohio State and Wisconsin's of the world.

Okay, well, I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there. I give up.

I do think it's tougher than they thought bringing their philosophies to Lincoln. But to your point, we are scoring 9 points a game our last 3 conference games. What went so wrong that the whole "I'm hoping the B1G has to adjust to us" statement at his hiring press conference couldn't be less accurate. Minnesota and Northwestern are slowing us down, let alone the Ohio State and Wisconsin's of the world.

Yeah, there was some hubris with that statement. But last year, once AM got healthy again after the Michigan game, here were the point totals in Big 10 games: 28, 24, 31, 53, 31, 54, 9, and 28.
His system can absolutely work but they just don't have all the pieces right now.

Can we stop with the "this staff doesn't have Big 10 experience" stuff? The Big 10 isn't some magical football world that can't be figured out unless you have experience. Urban Meyer didn't have Big 10 coaching experience when he took the OSU job, and I'd say he did ok.
I compared our staffs experience with the top teams in the Big 10 and there was a huge difference in experience levels. Perhaps you're correct and it's not important but perhaps not.

Yeah, there was some hubris with that statement. But last year, once AM got healthy again after the Michigan game, here were the point totals in Big 10 games: 28, 24, 31, 53, 31, 54, 9, and 28.
His system can absolutely work but they just don't have all the pieces right now.
Or maybe the drop off in offensive production from last year to this year shows that the Big 10 DID adjust to them.... :(

Perhaps the BIG has adjusted to our offensive philosophies?

Or maybe we should just give up completely because obviously there's no hope. I mean, just consider the tone every single thread has taken since last Saturday. The most ardent supporters are now openly questioning everyone and everything. Before we know it, this board will have the feel of the final 2 Pelini years and final Riley year. F that. I'm just not doing that all over again.

Or maybe we should just give up completely because obviously there's no hope. I mean, just consider the tone every single thread has taken since last Saturday. The most ardent supporters are now openly questioning everyone and everything. Before we know it, this board will have the feel of the final 2 Pelini years and final Riley year. F that. I'm just not doing that all over again.

I agree with that. But I also genuinely believe that Frost will get us there. I have zero doubt about it.

Agreed. I'm just going to write off this year as an anomaly and hope things are better next year.

There are still 5 games left. Not trying to be unrealistic, but what if by some tiny chance (I won't call it a miracle) NU upsets Wisconsin and ends the year 7-5. Would we be ok with 7-5 and finally beating Wisconsin? I think most fans, if they're being honest, would be ok with it.

Lots of people wanted MR fired with good reason. Don't believe that's the focus of most here but rather something is lacking? Exactly what is HCSF's job to figure out and correct. I'm still 100% with Frost and believe eventually he will get it all put together. However something darn sure isn't working right now and I simply do not believe it's 100% talent issue. I look at schools that beat us like WI, NW and even Minny and the class rankings say we should be extremely competitive with them. Of course there's lots of factors but I still believe it ALL starts with good coaching.

I don't necessarliy believe it has to be Big 10 coaching experience but coaching experience at a P5 level? Can't see why that wouldn't be fairly important? When I've observed several defenses do a 180's on teams that have very experienced DC's it makes me wonder....

Boy, I don't know. Pelini left us with an empty cupboard. Riley left us with a decimated mindset and a bunch of talent that went backwards in their progression. Not sure which is worse, but I suppose at this point it doesn't matter much. It's been 18 years of complete BS.
Disagree on the 18 year bs. The team Frank left behind was ions better than those left behind by Pelini and Riley. You can knock Frank all you want but the losses people cried about were close games compared to the drubbings we have taken since. I know the culture and attitude are problems but the part that bothers me is the regression of some players and that includes some recruited by this staff. Is the staff up to the BIG standards? I agree losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a huge loss but that does not explain the oline and defensive performance.

I get it.... I'll just say nothing was worse than what Pelini took over, and he took us from sub .500 to 9 wins in the first year. But when we fired Pelini every single player was pissed, then we hired a career .500 coach. Riley had a massive uphill climb psychologically. Whereas with Frost he got to take over for a team where guys like Foster, Farmer, Gifford, all those dudes that were the leaders wanted to win and knew there was a change needed. A welcome change.

It is what it is, you could convince me one way or the other i'm sure. But this whole "look how bad it was when we got here that's why we are where we are now" somewhat frustrates me. It was bad, not near as bad as we are trying to be convinced of to justify what's happening right now.
I am not disagreeing with you but if its not that bad what do you attribute to the current teams performance? Talent, coaching, culture or all of the above? Is the S& A where it should be or headed in right direction? I trust your judgement.

Some interesting ideas about leadership in this thread. I can't say I buy into all of them, but interesting to think about.

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with Frost at this time: level-headed leadership, driven by will to win and generally make his world better. Thinking about his sideline demeanor when we get stupid penalties, or the way he reacted to Kahlil Davis getting another personal foul... that's the way I would hope I would comport myself, and that alone is enough to make me give Frost more time, comparing him to BC, BP, and MR.

It's going to take time or it isn't going to happen. I'll give Frost the time.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back