• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does anyone else have a problem with these tweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
***: How is this any different from releasing a depth chart?

Because our depth chart always has 3 LBs listed as well as a nickel position listed. It is not giving away our base scheme, rather who is playing where. As I said earlier, a team could try and prepare for us to have 12 people on the field, but it wouldn't help much. Pelini basically tells the guys to not even look at the depth chart as position battles haven't even had one practice yet and it's released to the public...

To me it depends on the context. Were those players in street clothes visible from public areas anyway? What about the 4-3 vs. 4-2: was that announced or was that an observation by Callahan? Also, I didn't know any media were allowed to attend practices.

In my opinion, it is better if opposing teams don't have any information about who will play or not play, and what schemes have been practiced- unless the coaches release that information.

If it's the case that these tweets truly gave away information that wasn't otherwise public then I would seriously consider revoking their press credentials. Like I said though, to me a lot depends on the circumstances, and with these two examples I'm not sure what they were. (Sorry if it's in the thread, I don't have time to read the whole thing. :Biggrin: ).

So you would have Sean Callahan or Brian Christophersen tweet out false information, ruining their credibility? These aren't just average joe's that tweeted it out, these are guys that are trying to make a name for themselves by getting things out first and being right about it.

But, you are correct that most coaches don't create a gameplan based on tweets. That being said, it can make you feel better about something or tweak it due to what you've read or heard.

I'd be more subtle than that. But if they looked a tad bit foolish once or twice they might stop tweeting valuable information now mightn't they? If they called me to task on it in a Press Conference I'd just wink at them and tell them we'd adjusted our game plan based on new information we'd received in a tweet from a reporter covering the opponent. ;)

I'd be more subtle than that. But if they looked a tad bit foolish once or twice they might stop tweeting valuable information now mightn't they? If they called me to task on it in a Press Conference I'd just wink at them and tell them we'd adjusted our game plan based on new information we'd received in a tweet from a reporter covering the opponent. ;)

I hear ya, I guess my point is, when I talk to a coach they will say "youre going to see something you haven't seen before". Or if I ask how a player is doing he will say "he's getting along, he's getting better". If I dare ask him, which I never would, "well is he practicing"?, he would just change the subject. And I don't even really do twitter...

I think for starters, our depth chart on D shows 12 positions. If you look at our depth chart, the only for sure thing is we have 4 down lineman.

Because our depth chart always has 3 LBs listed as well as a nickel position listed. It is not giving away our base scheme, rather who is playing where. As I said earlier, a team could try and prepare for us to have 12 people on the field, but it wouldn't help much. Pelini basically tells the guys to not even look at the depth chart as position battles haven't even had one practice yet and it's released to the public...

So who says we have to follow a depth chart or anything someone tweets? There could be a "last minute adjustment".

Personally I think you're wrapping yourself around the axle here. I get what you're saying but it's a little strong.

I completely agree with you *** on your stance but I don't think it ever happens where media members report things the coaches would never want out.

The BC tweet may have been a little premature, but several of the players and Beck and Bo earlier two days ago discussed that Taylor hasn't practiced yet and that he has only done a few minor running drills and some throwing.

The Callahan tweet was simply reporting what JP was saying. Someone asked "What do you see from the SDSU offense?" Papuchis replied, "They are more of a traditional offense that will sometimes go 3 wide. They don't spread you out as much as some of the teams we have faced and they run the ball effectively with obviously a very capable RB. So we will probably be in more of a 4-3 look." Then he named the 3 starters and the 3 back-ups for each LB spot.

Like I said, I agree with your idea, but I can't recall someone tweeting out information the general public doesn't know or coaches don't talk about.

So who says we have to follow a depth chart or anything someone tweets? There could be a "last minute adjustment".

Personally I think you're wrapping yourself around the axle here. I get what you're saying but it's a little strong.

We absolutely don't follow the depth chart, 3 isn't starting this week. And we won't last minute adjust our game plan from a base 4-3 to something else we didn't practice all week.

But I do agree, I don't think it's a huge deal, but I am saying it's unnecessary to tweet out scheme and injuries. Let the coaches address those if they choose to.

I completely agree with you *** on your stance but I don't think it ever happens where media members report things the coaches would never want out.

The BC tweet may have been a little premature, but several of the players and Beck and Bo earlier two days ago discussed that Taylor hasn't practiced yet and that he has only done a few minor running drills and some throwing.

The Callahan tweet was simply reporting what JP was saying. Someone asked "What do you see from the SDSU offense?" Papuchis replied, "They are more of a traditional offense that will sometimes go 3 wide. They don't spread you out as much as some of the teams we have faced and they run the ball effectively with obviously a very capable RB. So we will probably be in more of a 4-3 look." Then he named the 3 starters and the 3 back-ups for each LB spot.

Like I said, I agree with your idea, but I can't recall someone tweeting out information the general public doesn't know or coaches don't talk about.

Absolutely. And JP's response was "well, if the game were today it would be" then listed them. But the problem is that the BC tweet was sparked from seeing Martinez in shorts. Quite honestly, ask JP or Bo how Martinez is doing and then tweet out "per BP......". Don't put out there what you saw for an injury report. If Bo or JP come back with "he still hasn't practiced so we will see on Saturday" I would have no problem with that tweet...

Last edited:

We absolutely don't follow the depth chart, 3 isn't starting this week. And we won't last minute adjust our game plan from a base 4-3 to something else we didn't practice all week.

But I do agree, I don't think it's a huge deal, but I am saying it's unnecessary to tweet out scheme and injuries. Let the coaches address those if they choose to.

Well, Illinois was probably going to change things up somehow anyway.

I do think it would be cool if the team was playing sufficiently well that this wasn't even a concern. You know, here we are, you know what we're going to do. Stop us.

Anyways, I said my peace on this. I would rather just have these guys tell me about the recruits we are in on and then BC can tell me what he thinks of the game and how he thinks it will go down rather than tell me scheme and injuries they saw at practice. Though I understand both guys wouldn't get as many hits doing it that way. And I understand i'm looking at it from a coach perspective...

Well, Illinois was probably going to change things up somehow anyway.

I do think it would be cool if the team was playing sufficiently well that this wasn't even a concern. You know, here we are, you know what we're going to do. Stop us.

I agree, I think my main problem is just that right now I feel we need every advantage possible and this definitely is not one...

Absolutely. And JP's response was "well, if the game were today it would be" then listed them. But the problem is that the BC tweet was sparked from seeing Martinez in shorts. Quite honestly, ask JP or Bo how Martinez is doing and then tweet out "per BP......". Don't put out there what you saw for an injury report. If Bo or JP come back with "he still hasn't practiced so we will see on Saturday" I would have no problem with that tweet...

It's more difficult than ever for the head coach to exert control on the information and media environment.

That's my point, if this were the NFL and every practice had to be open and injury reports had to be released by every team, then fine i'm cool with this. But you can basically take advantage of more secrecy here in the college football world, if you want to. Right now, we need help to get this ship righted. As it stands, we were taken off guard against SDSU and they embarrassed us in the first quarter...

I have no problem at all keeping the press out of practice. If allowed to stay there, you have to hope they use good judgment on what they "tweet". I'm afraid I don't have that much trust in the press based on quite a bit of personal experience. Their loyalties are not with the coaches, they are with their employer & making a name for themselves. Tweet away during the post practice all you want, but don't trust the press at practice. That is unless you want what you are doing in practice made public knowledge. If you find you cannot trust other types of visitors, ban them too.

When did I say that? Nice try. Again, I would have no problem if a tweet was "I expect to see a lot more 4-3 this week as SDSU is a power team" by a media member. Not a "what I learned from practice" tweet.

wow, you are hard to follow.... your concern was media tweeting what went on in practice....do you not think other media, at other schools do the same and in that sense, don't you think we could read the same info about our opponent as well ??....chill out... there is more important things for you to loss sleep about...... :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back