• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do NU Players Have to Go to Class?

Interesting. All this obviously allows them to become better players and it sounds like they still get the academics. But what are your thoughts on what might be missed from classroom interactions and socialization with other students? If we're interested in developing players as young men is any preponderance of online vs. in-person classes a detriment?
I think it's a different experience, but not necessarily a worse experience. There are a number of students that physically attend class and don't interact with people, then go back to their dorm/apartment and still don't interact with people. Football players get the opportunity to interact with an entire organization of people, including peers, trainers, coaches, administrators, former players, etc.

I didn't have the money or support system to go to college right after high school. I took night classes off and on, and I eventually finished my undergrad degree online. I then completed my Master's degree entirely online from a well-respected institution. It involved several group projects in which I had to interact with other students across the country.

I never had the "full college experience," but my situation taught me things that a traditional student would never experience. Different? Yes. Better or worse? Both. And that's ok. We're not trying to turn out identical cyborgs.

No doubt there is some loss of social interaction. But in my humble opinion, it sorts out like this. Most football and basketball players are surrounded by peers that that treat them with an unrealistic sense of reverence. Not the 'real world' normalcy that regular students feel with peers in the sorting out of where you fit in the class and world. This changes the classroom dynamic anyway for the athlete. However, academic place sorting still happens within the hundreds of athletes using their academic centers. So they still get a sense of what it takes to succeed when compared to like students. They also get a dose of interaction when they socialize outside of sports and during spring and summer for instance. So, I haven't seen the online issue really hinder any athlete in terms of the not having the college experience. In the larger university settings 30-50 thousand students, most of the classes offered are on-line assessable just from the logistics of not having enough space to house the need for classes. The students enrolling now are equipped really well for this transition of learning styles. Think about it for a second, no parking craziness, no classroom shuffle to find, no interference with work schedules (practice schedules), the whole course laid out for you so you can learn to pace yourself. It is not a bad way to get the degree. Sorry for the long response, and Merry Christmas.
Thank you for your informed perspective. Merry Christmas.

Our youngest daughter had her freshman year of college done before she graduated from HS. Worked her tail off every night on the computer. Missed out on a lot of senior year activities.

Yes, his sisters did the same and had 1 yr of college down when they graduated HS.
He hasn’t been as ambitious......:cool:

Last edited:
My graduate and summer classes were all online. Buy the books, follow the itinerary and submissions. Undergrad stuff, not so much, butt in seat!

This all does make me wonder sometimes, if a lot of this college stuff is theatrics and smoke/mirrors. But my son has been away at college now for 3 semesters and I think it has been very beneficial.

If we're interested in developing players as young men is any preponderance of online vs. in-person classes a detriment?

I hear coaches say those types of things all the time and I think it’s total b.s. These universities want you to pass your classes so you can win ball games. They don’t care two farts about developing anything. When your eligibility is burned up, they will toss you to the curb and move on.

Make no mistake, this is pro sports cloaked as academia. Anyone who buys that into that reality needs to be selling amway.

Last edited:

I hear coaches say those types of things all the time and I think it’s total b.s. These universities want you to pass your classes so you can win ball games. They don’t care two farts about developing anything. When your eligibility is burned up, they will toss you to the curb and move on.

Make no mistake, this is pro sports cloaked as academia. Anyone who buys that into that reality needs to be selling amway.
I actually saw a vein in your forehead and got hit by spittle just reading that.

Amway? LOL. That is funny on multi-levels.

Last edited:

I think you greatly underestimate how much coaches and support staff become invested in the players with whom they work.

I think that having a combo of online courses along with in-class courses would give an athletic scholarship student the best of both worlds. The flexibility for practices and the college class interaction. My son completed his associate's degree before graduating high school and was still able to be on the basketball, football and track teams. It gave him the opportunity to double major in college and graduate in three years. He now works for UNL, which was his dream and goal.

I think you greatly underestimate how much coaches and support staff become invested in the players with whom they work.
Could be, but I also know several former college athletes personally who were used up and spit out. Ironically, one of whom was very seriously injured in a game against Nebraska a number of years back. I’ll withhold his name to protect his privacy, but he was damaged goods after his injury and the university didn’t lift a finger to help the guy in any way whatsoever.

College football is essentially pro ball. When you can’t perform, you are no longer of any value to the university. The whole “student athlete” phrase is a ruse.

Last edited:

Living in West Texas I can tell you that geographically you have no ability to see and experience the support system that is in place for players......even after their eligibility is used up.

Joe Burrows is a graduate student & think it is very plausible. One of my guys just finished a master’s degree at our local university & did all of his course work online. From my foxhole, his curriculum was a butt-kicker too.
My daughter ...... all online classes in master’s degree course. Jalen Hunts among others probably too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back