• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do NU Players Have to Go to Class?

skerBob

Just another unsuspecting mammal
5 Year Member
I saw this article about the prevalence of online classes on campuses. It doesn't mention NU and I was wondering if anyone knows what the school's policy is towards allowing football players and other athletes to take online classes? The story indicates Joe Burrow has never set foot in an LSU classroom.

When I was at NU a very long time ago, I roomed with a football player and was friends with several others. Some of them were very different people when they were out and about with their teammates than they were when alone among us in the rank and file. I believe they would have missed out on a lot of experiences that possibly helped them to grow as human beings if they lived in an athletic dorm and spent all of their time with only their teammates. Not ever having to go to class would be just a further isolation that I don't believe, when considered as a whole, is a net benefit to any of them.

Thoughts?

I am sure some majors require your butt in the classroom others probably not so much. I would hope someone on the path to be a physician might want to go to the labs at least. General studies probably not so much.

Joe Burrows is a graduate student & think it is very plausible. One of my guys just finished a master’s degree at our local university & did all of his course work online. From my foxhole, his curriculum was a butt-kicker too.

Joe Burrows is a graduate student & think it is very plausible. One of my guys just finished a master’s degree at our local university & did all of his course work online. From my foxhole, his curriculum was a butt-kicker too.

My youngest daughter did her first two years on-line toward an education degree. Even this year she is able to do much of it on-line. Has a 4.0 to boot :)

Her curriculum was not easy either

Last edited:

Don’t know about college but my H.S. Sr. doesn’t have to be in an actual class and he
plays football, basketball and baseball.
It’s called virtual classroom here. For his last semester starting 1/6/20, while he only needs 1 class to graduate, he has to take 2 in order to play sports. And apparently it’s no joke. Some of the AP students started and then rolled back into the traditional classroom 1st semester as it was kicking arse and taking names....

I needed to be in a classroom, granted that was a while ago, but I know for sure that doing stuff online would not have worked for me.

My youngest daughter did her first two years on-line toward an education degree. Even this year she is able to do much of it on-line. Has a 4.0 to boot :)

But did she have hard classes pal? ;)

I happen to work in a learning center at a power five conference school. The learning center in most if not all FBS schools is where all student athletes have access to tutoring, academic advisement, computers, printing and academic coaches. Many athletes take on-line courses because their schedules will not allow the flexibility of brick and mortar classes. Travel on Thursdays for Saturday games, morning or afternoons consumed with practice. Non-practice times include wellness sessions with trainers, film study and weight training which does not count as contact with coaches. I had one 4 year starter who only saw me in the learning center the last 3 years, all of his courses were on-line. Still rigorous and and taking the same content as my son who attended the same university. It is not unusual and it is increasing in frequency each semester.

Last edited:
I happen to work in a learning center at a power five conference school. The learning center in most if not all FBS schools is where all student athletes have access to tutoring, academic advisement, computers, printing and academic coaches. Many athletes take on-line courses because their schedules will not allow the flexibility of brick and mortar classes. Travel on Thursdays for Saturday games, morning or afternoons consumed with practice. Non-practice times include wellness sessions with trainers, film study and weight training which does not count as contact with coaches. I had one 4 year starter who only saw me in the learning center the last 3 years, all of his courses were on-line. Still rigorous and and taking the same content as my son who attended the same university. It is not unusual and it is increasing in frequency each semester.
Interesting. All this obviously allows them to become better players and it sounds like they still get the academics. But what are your thoughts on what might be missed from classroom interactions and socialization with other students? If we're interested in developing players as young men is any preponderance of online vs. in-person classes a detriment?

Last edited:

No doubt there is some loss of social interaction. But in my humble opinion, it sorts out like this. Most football and basketball players are surrounded by peers that that treat them with an unrealistic sense of reverence. Not the 'real world' normalcy that regular students feel with peers in the sorting out of where you fit in the class and world. This changes the classroom dynamic anyway for the athlete. However, academic place sorting still happens within the hundreds of athletes using their academic centers. So they still get a sense of what it takes to succeed when compared to like students. They also get a dose of interaction when they socialize outside of sports and during spring and summer for instance. So, I haven't seen the online issue really hinder any athlete in terms of the not having the college experience. In the larger university settings 30-50 thousand students, most of the classes offered are on-line assessable just from the logistics of not having enough space to house the need for classes. The students enrolling now are equipped really well for this transition of learning styles. Think about it for a second, no parking craziness, no classroom shuffle to find, no interference with work schedules (practice schedules), the whole course laid out for you so you can learn to pace yourself. It is not a bad way to get the degree. Sorry for the long response, and Merry Christmas.

Don’t know about college but my H.S. Sr. doesn’t have to be in an actual class and he
plays football, basketball and baseball.
It’s called virtual classroom here. For his last semester starting 1/6/20, while he only needs 1 class to graduate, he has to take 2 in order to play sports. And apparently it’s no joke. Some of the AP students started and then rolled back into the traditional classroom 1st semester as it was kicking arse and taking names....
Our youngest daughter had her freshman year of college done before she graduated from HS. Worked her tail off every night on the computer. Missed out on a lot of senior year activities.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back