• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dirk unloads on NU

As I was scrolling through the DirecTV listing guide I stopped on the SyFy channel and saw the following description:

"Z Nation - Season 1 – Episode 8: Zunami – In Nebraska, a zombie tsunami engulfs the survivors and desperate measures must be taken to survive."

o_O

Let me give my thoughts on the article:

1. A lot of bluster with very little content
  2. His thesis is unclear
  3. His conclusions are painfully obvious and pedestrian
  4. And if taken the to the nth degree ... you could argue he is making a case for
    • long term rebuild
    • underlying assumption that coaching stability is needed -and-
    • a return to focusing on signing more Nebraska kids
Honestly could make these points about almost everything he writes. I don't necessarily disagree with him either but it seemed like the rant piece he's be itching to write since Bo left.

This stat is amazing to me.

 67 — That’s the number of FBS programs with an 11-win season since Nebraska last did it (2001). That includes 41 of 64 Power Five peers.
Agree, it is amazing. I even had to try to check it. I only checked the Big Ten, but from what I found the 67 is plausible.

Below is the max number of wins any team has achieved in a given season since 2001, along with the number of times they did it. 8/14 of Big Ten teams have won at least 11 in a year. Although two did it in previous, weaker conferences (ACC and Big East).

Team, most wins, number of times
Illinois 9 (once)
Indiana 7 (once)
Iowa 12 (once)
Maryland 11 (once, in ACC)
Michigan 11 (twice)
Michigan State 13 (once)

Minnesota 10 (once)
Nebraska 10 (four times)
Northwestern 10 (twice)
Ohio State 14 (twice)
Penn State 11 (four times)

Purdue 9 (once)
Rutgers 11 (once, in Big East)
Wisconsin 12 (once)

Last edited:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fixing". Getting NU back to respectability and beating inferior teams should be a quick fix. Getting NU back to national relevance and competing/beating teams like OSU will certainly take longer.

And yet every staff we've had since TO has lost to inferior teams. Some more than others. We need to quit settling for quick fixes and shiny objects.

Yes I agree that we need to get a guy in here and let him build. Start with the lines and work out from there. Yes it could be a 10-20 year project. Starts with a quality younger up and coming offensive line coach. This has to be treated as most important position on the team.

And yet every staff we've had since TO has lost to inferior teams. Some more than others. We need to quit settling for quick fixes and shiny objects.

There will always come a time when a better team loses to an inferior team (see OU-Iowa St). It's how often that happens that is the issue. The expectation in Lincoln should be to consistently beat the inferior teams (everyone in the division except Wisconsin), compete for a division title every year, and every 4-5 years make a run at a conference title. I don't think any of these things is unreasonable in Lincoln.

It is the truth of how far the program has fallen. It feels like when we played Minnesota in 1984 and they were talking how good Minnesota used to be. I am beginning to wonder if the leadership is there to find the correct direction to right this program.

There will always come a time when a better team loses to an inferior team (see OU-Iowa St). It's how often that happens that is the issue. The expectation in Lincoln should be to consistently beat the inferior teams (everyone in the division except Wisconsin), compete for a division title every year, and every 4-5 years make a run at a conference title. I don't think any of these things is unreasonable in Lincoln.

Exactly. That's my point. It hasn't happened for a long time and even in seasons where NU was good there were parts of the program that were not. We haven't seen consistency in a long time. Imo, it's a foundational issue. That has to get fixed and it's not going to be an easy fix.

I think the qualifier here is "how often and how inferior"? TO lost to ISU when they were clearly inferior. As well as some other stubs of the toe. It happens to everyone, but the frequency and depth of fall is what makes it a fluke or a trend.

Yes I agree that we need to get a guy in here and let him build. Start with the lines and work out from there. Yes it could be a 10-20 year project. Starts with a quality younger up and coming offensive line coach. This has to be treated as most important position on the team.
Amen ... think Bill Callahan would come back as an O-Line coach?

I think the qualifier here is "how often and how inferior"? TO lost to ISU when they were clearly inferior. As well as some other stubs of the toe. It happens to everyone, but the frequency and depth of fall is what makes it a fluke or a trend.

Losing to inferior opponents and blowouts to teams in your tier are equally damaging and indicative of a problem, imo. People are so focused on NU's play this season that they are missing that the problems in Lincoln have been there under the surface for a long time. Some coaches were able to do more in spite of it, but the issues were still there.

I believe one of Chatelain's main points is that we can no longer accurately describe some of those teams as inferior. That's the hard pill to swallow. We are a middling team in the weakest division in the conference. We don't have far superior talent to the Northwesterns and the Iowas and the Purdues and we're too blinded by the past to recognize it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back