• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dirk unloads on NU

I keep seeing this let the thing crumble and then rebuild. What exactly does that mean? It’s a nice analogy but what exactly is the meat of it? What does the program have to look like to be crumbled? Half full stadiums every week? Half full downtown hotels on game days?

It was a good article, and I say that grudgingly as I think Dirk can be a twit sometimes.

One article that I think about every week was Lee's preseason article back in August.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_9b5721b5-05c5-5c69-9abc-e98d9eb1186d.html

How prophetic was this piece? He got dragged over this thing from all angles, but here we are. In many ways, worse off than the estimates within.
7 wins was the common over/under and it even opened at 6 at some places. Lee's prediction was just in line with what most people (outside of us big red homers) were thinking. It was going to be a tough year given the schedule and returning experience.

Dirk makes a lot of good points but it’s nothing we don’t already know. He acts as if it’s the fans fault. The fans don’t hire chancellors, athletic directors, or coaches. Nebraska desperately needs leadership at the top. Hopefully, Green, Bounds, and Moos are the leaders we need.

I keep seeing this let the thing crumble and then rebuild. What exactly does that mean? It’s a nice analogy but what exactly is the meat of it? What does the program have to look like to be crumbled? Half full stadiums every week? Half full downtown hotels on game days?

What I think Huskernut did a better job than Dirk at getting at, is that there just aren't specific identifiable reasons that it's inevitable that Nebraska football will return to even the 1970s and 80s level of success, never mind the 1990s. Without two specific head coaches and their assistants, Nebraska never gets there in the first place. The "let it crumble and then rebuild" assumes that it's inevitable, it's just got to get worse first. There's no guarantee that the end of the sellout streak and Nebraska football becoming Rutgers helps anything. In fact it probably would hurt, because at that point even 3-star kids have better places to play than Lincoln. The most painful idea of all is that it's more likely Nebraska becomes Minnesota or the service academies in terms of football success than it gets that Nebraska gets back to the top 15 every year.

In addition to Huskernut's points, the other "hard truth" is that everyone doesn't seem comfortable with is that we all only have an illusion of complete control over this. The reality is that uncontrollable factors like injuries and just plain bad luck will continue to play their parts. I keep going back to the situation Alabama found itself in before Saban. They were not a good football team and kept getting into so much trouble with the NCAA that an Alabama fan I know believed they probably deserved the death penalty but it would never happen because they're Alabama. Then they found Saban, who'd been a failure in the NFL. Nebraska tried that way with Callahan and it failed. Saban could just have easily failed and Alabama might be where Nebraska is now instead of probably on the way to another national championship.

Who is saying "let it crumble?" Doesn't make sense. The sellout streak in particular we might be better off without, IF boosters really are using it as leverage to force ill-advised moves. But in every other way, as things get worse (losses, broken records, losing seasons) it only becomes harder and harder to get back to success.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back