• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Did we really get screwed against Texas with the extra second?

The thing that raised my eyebrow was Mack Brown immediately indicating there should be one second left on the clock. Brown just wasn't that savvy, IMO.
View attachment 14946
See post #12 in the video watch what TO does...first, just like MB he asks that time be put back on the clock (and they did it) after it ran out, THEN he demanded more favorable placement. This is automatic coaching behavior...nothing to get upset over.

Play in question starts at 1:01:49,
4. Bleacher Report: "Texas graduate and coordinator of Big 12 officials Walt Anderson [emphasis mine] made a special trip to the official’s box to add another second to the clock and give his Texas Longhorns a chance to kick a field goal. Nobody can seem to remember that ever happening in the history of football.
It was evident when Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe jumped in celebration [emphasis mine] at that field goal piercing the uprights, giving Texas the win. Unbiased people are in head positions of the Big 12."
-- if this has been debunked, please let me know.
See the video in post #12 - 1994 Orange Bowl for the NC. I certainly remember, as should any CFB fan over 35 years old.

Last edited:
I thought at the time, it was borderline -- but understandable why the refs put 1 second back on the clock. Now, watching it again minus my emotions, I'm even more convinced there was a second left.

or is that just sour grapes? It’s been a while and the fog has lifted. Did we really get screwed, or did the officials simply make a call that happened to work against us? Any coherent insight on this ?

It was the right call. Unfortunate but right. As good a game as Suh had he could have won it on that last play if he just broke down on McCoy instead of charging him. McCoy would have kept looking for an open man and that extra second would have given Nebraska a win.

C’est la vie.

I remember when it happened they showed a replay with the game clock superimposed on the screen. I saw Colt McCoy's pass hit out of bounds, which was when they should stop the clock, and one second still showed on the clock. End of story for me. Texas won. Move on.
That stuff happens all the time. They never do anything about it except then and there. I've seen it countless times at the end of halfs, and games since. Nothing. Not to mention, Human element takes a split second to stop the clock. That play doesn't get reviewed like that any other time. It was bs. That said, kicking the ball out of bounds, then a horse collar penalty aided them even getting into that position. It was stupid not to just kick the ball out of the end zone. We're talking about a fraction of a second here.

Last edited:
I remember when it happened they showed a replay with the game clock superimposed on the screen. I saw Colt McCoy's pass hit out of bounds, which was when they should stop the clock, and one second still showed on the clock. End of story for me. Texas won. Move on.
Actually the clock stops when the ref blows the play dead. Which usually takes about a full second after completion of the play. Time should only be added if an egregious mistake happened such as the clock operator keeping the clock running beyond the whistle for a couple seconds. Your memory is also flawed in the it never hit out of bounds at that time. They claim it hit the railing. Sorry still pissed. They screwed us. I challenge you to find any other game where they added back time in a situation where we are talking about less than a second. It never happened before and it will never happen again. Plus how do you prove the two cameras are in perfect sync. You only have ESPN's word for that. Do you really believe them? It would have cost them millions if we bumped the long whores out of the BCS championship.

There's a reason they don't review the exact clock setting after each play. It's the same reason they don't review the refs placement of the football after each play. That reason is it would make the game last 6+ hours. Nobody wants that.

So they only review things like that when it's in a critical situation: the placement of the ball when one team is going for it on fourth down and it's close, or in this case an incomplete pass with time running out.

It's tough when you get calls like that that go against you. Some Husker fans are still fuming over the out of bounds pass in the 1982 Penn State game.

I know people in Oklahoma that will STILL point to what they thought was an illegal block in the back on Johnny Rodgers' Game of the Century punt return.

I'm sure we're not the only team that's lost an important game because of a questionable call.
Lol, Johnny Rogers punt return didn't determine the game. It happened fairly early. Who says NU doesn't drive and score there anyway? Irrelevant.

Lol, Johnny Rogers punt return didn't determine the game. It happened fairly early. Who says NU doesn't drive and score there anyway? Irrelevant.

Not all game changing plays happen in the fourth quarter. That's a very lazy argument against the point I was trying to make.

Not all game changing plays happen in the fourth quarter. That's a very lazy argument against the point I was trying to make.
Never said they did. That game was a dog fight. NU might take that ball and drive 60 yards. That simply opened the scoring. Not in any way close to what happened against Texas.

Really? It's a problem for you that the officials want to make an accurate call in the most critical point in the game? Come on...see post #12, it happens.
Its a problem for me because they held that play to a diffent standard than all the rest.

A questionable catch would get a video review at any point in the game. An egregious spot error as well. But the only time they examined a play in the entire game to make sure the clock stopped when the ball hit the ground, and not on the refs whistle, was when Texas really needed it. If you believe the same call wouldve been made had the situation been reversed, go right ahead. I dont.

Last edited:

I thought at the time, it was borderline -- but understandable why the refs put 1 second back on the clock. Now, watching it again minus my emotions, I'm even more convinced there was a second left.

Agree. We should've never been in that position in the first place. If Kunalic keeps the KO in bounds and/or Asante doesn't commit the PF, we more than likely win the game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back