• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Did we really get screwed against Texas with the extra second?

In the week or so afterwards, somebody in the media (not a Nebraskan) reviewed every play in the game, and after EVERY incomplete pass a few more seconds ran off the clock after the ball fell incomplete, as it happened on THAT play, until it was "corrected" as an egregious error.

I remember when it happened they showed a replay with the game clock superimposed on the screen. I saw Colt McCoy's pass hit out of bounds, which was when they should stop the clock, and one second still showed on the clock. End of story for me. Texas won. Move on.

Watch the very first play of the game and try to explain that again

Last edited:
My ultimate problem with the time being reviewed was that it was the only time the whole game they cared about making sure the clock was exactly right. How many previous plays and subsequent minor clock errors occured before that last throw? How do we know that Texas wouldnt have had a few less seconds? It was total bull crap.

Last edited:

My ultimate problem with the time being reviewed was that it was the only time the whole game they cared about making sure the clock was exactly right. How many previous plays and subsequent minor clock errors occured before that last throw? How do we know that Texas wouldnt have had a few less seconds? It was total bull crap.
Really? It's a problem for you that the officials want to make an accurate call in the most critical point in the game? Come on...see post #12, it happens.

Last edited:
The thing that raised my eyebrow was Mack Brown immediately indicating there should be one second left on the clock. Brown just wasn't that savvy, IMO.
download.png

Play in question starts at 1:01:49, if you're a masochist.
1. After Henery kicks the FG with 1:44 left, Brent Musburger calls it: "We are 1:44 away from BCS chaos." Musburger again: If Nebraska wins, either Cincinnati or TCU gets in. Really, that's the last thing the BCS wanted. Blue-blood teams in BCS games mean bigger ratings.
2. Kunalic kicks it out-of-bounds on the ensuing kickoff for just the 1st time in 70 tries, and 2nd time in 217 attempts.
3. As stated above, Brown "knew" right away there should be one second left on the clock.
4. Bleacher Report: "Texas graduate and coordinator of Big 12 officials Walt Anderson [emphasis mine] made a special trip to the official’s box to add another second to the clock and give his Texas Longhorns a chance to kick a field goal. Nobody can seem to remember that ever happening in the history of football.
It was evident when Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe jumped in celebration [emphasis mine] at that field goal piercing the uprights, giving Texas the win. Unbiased people are in head positions of the Big 12."
-- if this has been debunked, please let me know.
4. Carl Pelini in the locker room: "That's what this conference is about,” he added. “The (expletive) BCS." May have been sour grapes, but that staff may have also seen other things behind the scenes that led to that comment.

Things fell into place for Texas at the last minute that day, as well as other games.

In the week or so afterwards, somebody in the media (not a Nebraskan) reviewed every play in the game, and after EVERY incomplete pass a few more seconds ran off the clock after the ball fell incomplete, as it happened on THAT play, until it was "corrected" as an egregious error.
Football isn't the only sport to make more of an effort to get things right late in the game.

College basketball will go to review in the last 2 minutes on possession issues.

Refs clearly make a habit, at times, to not call things late that they would normally call early.

So it stands to reason that they don't sweat 1 second in the 1st Q...where they do late in the 4th.

It may have been the right call; but, I doubt it would have been made for us if the roles had been reversed. We blew the game anyway. Out of bounds kickoff and the darn horse collar call. We have shot ourselves in the foot in a big way almost every time we play Northern Mexico. I'm glad they are off the schedule and gratified to see they are floundering.

There's a reason they don't review the exact clock setting after each play. It's the same reason they don't review the refs placement of the football after each play. That reason is it would make the game last 6+ hours. Nobody wants that.

So they only review things like that when it's in a critical situation: the placement of the ball when one team is going for it on fourth down and it's close, or in this case an incomplete pass with time running out.

It's tough when you get calls like that that go against you. Some Husker fans are still fuming over the out of bounds pass in the 1982 Penn State game.

I know people in Oklahoma that will STILL point to what they thought was an illegal block in the back on Johnny Rodgers' Game of the Century punt return.

I'm sure we're not the only team that's lost an important game because of a questionable call.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back