• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Developing players is hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him having things forced on him and agreeing to it just tells me all I need to know about his leadership. He should have refused and said he's the coach, and if he can't do things his way, then fire me.

Whatever, we should send him a thank you note.
Speculation on my part... but Eichorst wanted the anti-Bo. When he met with Riley who was starting to trend down at Oregon State and feel the heat, I think he relayed to him he wanted to have say in Nebraska football and would hire people to help make the suggestions. Riley agreed during the process because he was getting a coaching job at Nebraska, how bad could it be? No way they would make bad decisions for him, right?

Fast forward and there were 100s of bad decisions. Some of them Riley's, but a lot of them Eichort's. Like you said, a good coach would have said "I know how to win, I need to do it my way." Still blows my mind that they went from 5-7, to 9-3, and then decided they needed to switch defenses. Would love to sit down with Riley and ask about his 3 year experience here.

Speculation on my part... but Eichorst wanted the anti-Bo. When he met with Riley who was starting to trend down at Oregon State and feel the heat, I think he relayed to him he wanted to have say in Nebraska football and would hire people to help make the suggestions. Riley agreed during the process because he was getting a coaching job at Nebraska, how bad could it be? No way they would make bad decisions for him, right?

Fast forward and there were 100s of bad decisions. Some of them Riley's, but a lot of them Eichort's. Like you said, a good coach would have said "I know how to win, I need to do it my way." Still blows my mind that they went from 5-7, to 9-3, and then decided they needed to switch defenses. Would love to sit down with Riley and ask about his 3 year experience here.

This right here is why stability, even in the aftermath of a disappointing season, is the most important thing for this program. A quiet offseason would be the perfect thing for all involved.

While I agree with you, it's just interesting how many people are still on the bus who were off by the end of Riley's first season. Frost has been allowed to do things however he wants. I can't say the same was true for Riley, yet he takes the blame while Frost gets the excuses
Can’t disagree with you but I think it has a little to do with frost winning a national championship here and looking at the season he had at ucf. Riley was a five hundred coach every where he went. So when the five hundred seasons where played here it wasn’t to anyone’s surprise. Year three was a pivotal year for Riley. Just like next year is a pivotal year for frost. He goes less than five
Hundred next year and the noise that was there for Riley will be there for frost. As it should be. Making a bowl game should never be in question.

I totally agree...…………. let's get him outta here by tonight...........

View attachment 33849

:Sarcastic:
No one is saying Frost should be let go. I'm pointing out the inconsistencies caused by homerism. The "right" solution would be to have given Riley his fair shake at succeeding. At this point, it would just be nice to see people recognize how poorly we treated our previous coach as a general fanbase.

No one is saying Frost should be let go. I'm pointing out the inconsistencies caused by homerism. The "right" solution would be to have given Riley his fair shake at succeeding. At this point, it would just be nice to see people recognize how poorly we treated our previous coach as a general fanbase.

Yes we did. So let's not the make the same mistake again.

I would love to hear the same. I am curious on why he allowed so much to be dictated to him. The move to the 3-4 and firing his long time DC was probably the most concerning. I remember being upset with Banker after the Iowa game but seeing the progress between the two years I expected he'd get at least one more year.

Maybe some of those 'homers' you are showing such disdain for, actually do recognize that, and are giving their new coach more time.

You are making a lot of assumptions just to carry a torch for Riley.
Let it go

We can't go back in time and change what happened to Riley. We can only move forward with Frost.

Last edited:

Maybe some of those 'homers' you are showing such disdain for, actually do recognize that, and are giving their new coach more time.

You are making a lot of assumptions just to carry a torch for Riley.
Let it go

We can't go back in time and change what happened to Riley. We can only move forward with Frost.
Based on how many people I still see point to Riley's failures as why Frost is not doing well directly or indirectly (including the coach himself), I'd argue many haven't.

You are right that we can't change it, but I'm afraid that a lack of recognition of the issue will lead to either us not being willing to back Frost's firing if needed or worse not giving Frost his full 4 years if he doesn't progress enough next year. Moos is behind him, but then so was Eichorst in Riley's third season. That worked out well for him...

Based on how many people I still see point to Riley's failures as why Frost is not doing well directly or indirectly (including the coach himself), I'd argue many haven't.
You would?
You mean you ARE. Ad nauseam.
Not enough for your satisfaction, anyway.
You remind me of someone else...how many denouncements do you require?
:Deadhorse:

You are right that we can't change it, but I'm afraid that a lack of recognition of the issue will lead to either us not being willing to back Frost's firing if needed or worse not giving Frost his full 4 years if he doesn't progress enough next year. Moos is behind him, but then so was Eichorst in Riley's third season. That worked out well for him...
If that's truly how you feel, then perhaps you shouldn't encourage others to push for Frost's firing, just to prove to them how wrong they are.

We will deal with next year when next year happens.

Saying Eichorst was behind Riley doesn't help your argument. Eichorst was a large part of the problem.
If Riley agreed to be a puppet for SE/HP, then he got what he deserved. If you want to continue to carry a torch for him, then start another thread about it. Stop making assumptions and logical fallacies just to beat those you deem as deplorables with your torch.

Nice to see you're still the same as ever RDR :Lol:
Trying to change the subject again?
Its unfortunate that you are the same as ever.

Last edited:

We get enough good recruits to have a better record than we do. Some teams seem to have the knack of developing their recruits. Think Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin for example. And take the Ohio State Michigan rivalry, in the past few years Michigan is getting more 4 and 5 star recruits than Ohio State, but Ohio State gets more players drafted in the first round in the NFL. Its really hard to get a machine rolling that develops players and we don't seem to be there yet. I hope SF thinks hard about that aspect of the program, and if necessary makes some hard personal decisions on personnel.
to me, that is the major weakness of the staff, and while it is easily stated, it is hard to fix.
There are never enough good recruits. And, we appear to lack an abundance of them.

I think Riley gets a bad rap honestly. The team gave up after it was pretty clear Riley was getting let go. When you fire the AD, almost no one expects the head coach to stick around. Couple that with some of the rumored Eichorst decisions (no JUCO, forcing Diaco, strength and conditioning rules) and I think he is more successful given time. His recruiting at the end also fell apart due to the high likelihood he'd be removed. I also personally think moving from a spread to a pro-style is significantly more difficult than the other way.

:Rolf:

I agree the development has been lacking and continuity is the key. It really is too bad Alex Davis is a senior. He really came on in the last 4-5 games and was making some nice plays. He would be a pretty good player with another year of development. Indiana does have better receivers than we do over all.

OMG, we are so lucky that we don’t have to see that particular #22 on the field any longer. What a disaster. What % of plays did he make vs. the number he ran around avoiding contact at all costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back