• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Developing players is hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have no idea if he would have done well. Like I said, I trust Frost will get things done, but Riley was never given a chance by much of the fanbase (and if rumors are to be believed the AD wasn't doing much to help either) while many of those same people are still backing a coach who has shown no success at Nebraska. Its homerism at its finest.

We knew EXACTLY what Riley was going to do. .500. That’s his career ceiling. If he flipped a coin, it would come up heads half the time.

He had ZERO POTENTIAL UPSIDE.

Riley only getting 3 years at NU wasn't fair, as I believe every coach should get a full recruiting class to show what they can do. That being said, we all have an idea that RIley would not have done well because he's never done well.

Riley got three more years than he deserved. Give it up.

Are you calling for Frost to be let go by any chance?

Hell no. We actually have someone that didn’t misrepresent himself by writing “futball coach” on his resume in crayon like Shyster Riley did.

For the record, Riley should never have been hired, and he should have been fired on day 1. We’d have saved money.

Hell no. We actually have someone that didn’t misrepresent himself by writing “futball coach” on his resume in crayon like Shyster Riley did.

For the record, Riley should never have been hired, and he should have been fired on day 1. We’d have saved money.
Thanks for helping to prove my point then :thumbsup:

Based on how many people I still see point to Riley's failures as why Frost is not doing well directly or indirectly (including the coach himself), I'd argue many haven't.

You are right that we can't change it, but I'm afraid that a lack of recognition of the issue will lead to either us not being willing to back Frost's firing if needed or worse not giving Frost his full 4 years if he doesn't progress enough next year. Moos is behind him, but then so was Eichorst in Riley's third season. That worked out well for him...
At this point moos should be behind frost. If frost has another losing season then I see moos talking to him
About changes that need to be made per year four could get ugly for him.

At this point moos should be behind frost. If frost has another losing season then I see moos talking to him
About changes that need to be made per year four could get ugly for him.
I agree. Honestly, feel a little bad for Moos. If Frost fails, he may fall too, but honestly did he have any other choice? That said, I think Frost makes a good step forward next year and all of these conversations are moot.

I agree. Honestly, feel a little bad for Moos. If Frost fails, he may fall too, but honestly did he have any other choice? That said, I think Frost makes a good step forward next year and all of these conversations are moot.
I agree other than moos will fail. Only way moos fails is not take action in
Year four with less than stellar performance by frost. Moos did the right thing and went and got the hottest coach and a coach the majority of the fans wanted. In the end I agree I hope it’s all moot and believe next year we win at least six games and go to a bowl game.

I agree other than moos will fail. Only way moos fails is not take action in
Year four with less than stellar performance by frost. Moos did the right thing and went and got the hottest coach and a coach the majority of the fans wanted. In the end I agree I hope it’s all moot and believe next year we win at least six games and go to a bowl game.
I don't mean that Moos will fail, just that depending on how it is handled he could be let go due to Frost being "his guy". Pederson was let go with Callahan. Eichorst and Riley. If the rumors about Osborne being encouraged out for Eichorst are true, then that's three in a row. I think it's somewhat common outside of Nebraska as well, though I'm significantly less knowledgeable of that.

At least he was able to win 9 games by his second year ;) Anyone who wouldn't give Riley the chance at four years should be calling for Frost right now. I'm glad they aren't but there is no reason to think Frost will be any more successful than Riley at this point comparing their first two seasons.
No. It wasn’t just Riley’s 3 years at Nebraska but his last 5 years at OSU. His trend was decidedly downward, his schemes more than outdated. We bought a Nokia phone in an iPhone era.

If the rumors about Osborne being encouraged out for Eichorst are true, then that's three in a row. I think it's somewhat common outside of Nebraska as well, though I'm significantly less knowledgeable of that.
Do you mean to say Osborne was essentially early retired to make way for Eichorst? I think that’s pretty much common knowledge. Lucifer (aka Pearlman) wanted his yes man stooge in to oust Pelosi.

Speculation on my part... but Eichorst wanted the anti-Bo. When he met with Riley who was starting to trend down at Oregon State and feel the heat, I think he relayed to him he wanted to have say in Nebraska football and would hire people to help make the suggestions. Riley agreed during the process because he was getting a coaching job at Nebraska, how bad could it be? No way they would make bad decisions for him, right?

Fast forward and there were 100s of bad decisions. Some of them Riley's, but a lot of them Eichort's. Like you said, a good coach would have said "I know how to win, I need to do it my way." Still blows my mind that they went from 5-7, to 9-3, and then decided they needed to switch defenses. Would love to sit down with Riley and ask about his 3 year experience here.
I think Eichorst was hired with the understanding he would eventually fire Bo and replaced with someone who fit Harvey’s vision of a UNLHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back