• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Departures

What real world do you live in that a family is going to bypass saving $100k+ for the better of Nebraska football? Along with the other benefits the come with being put on full sholly outside of just tuition - better acces to facilities and training table, better academic opportunities pre and post graduation, etc. Frankly, i would consider it a slap in the face if a coach/university approached me with that nonsense, no matter how well-off my family was.
We should stop this conversation right here and only work in facts. Unfortunately I dont have any facts. Here are the questions?
  1. Are there NCAA or other level rules that prohibit letting players from rich families play on a team without taking up a scholarship?
  2. If you dont take a scholarship, can you still have access to the things that scholarship players get to?
  3. What exactly would a Cade Warner miss out on if he played 4 years without accepting a scholarship?
  4. Who would initiate such an idea? Player/family or Coach/university?
I would think allowing Warner to play without a scholarship would fly in the face of the NCAA scholarship limit rules. If you allow him to do it then where do you draw the line? Could I, if I were a rich guy, take a neighborhood kid under my wings and offer to pay his way through college so he would not take up a scholarship at DONU? Would that kid not get some of the benefits of college because he turned down a scholly and paid for everything through his rich 'uncle'?

Summary, its not about whether a kid gets 'all' the benefits of a scholly, its about intellectually cheating the system by buying players and whether it make a difference whether the paid for player was a rich guys son vs. a rich guys neighbor.

I am curious what facilities are unavailable to walk ons? And don't walk ons have an opportunity to eat at the training table--maybe an additional cost but similar to dorm food cost isn't it? And what does a scholarship do for better academic opportunities??

remembered it coming out a couple years ago, so had to look:

https://www.cornnation.com/2015/7/8...s-total-cost-of-attendance-added-benefits-for

Also remembering people on here previously mentioning stuff about the training table access...although I could be wrong.

For some of these kids too, it could be more than a dollars and cents thing. How about the pride of being recognized as one of the few players every year that gets awarded a scholarship because you worked your ass off and earned it. Think theres just more to it than money.

His Dad's income shouldn't be considered. We only give scholarships to kids whose families can't afford college? If he's earned it, he's earned it.
Not sure I agree but that seems to be the practice. Always wondered why we had to give Barney’s kid scholarships. Why not just increase Barney’s pay? He was getting about double his value anyway:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Won’t be able to get to 85 for the fall without walk ons and grad transfers.
Not disagreeing with this because Scott articulated the same thing, but on the surface, a head scratcher. We can’t be graduating that many scholarship seniors. Scott said we’d take 25-30 in the next class. He must be anticipating some pretty massive attrition.

Not sure I agree but that seems to be the practice. Always wondered why we had to give Barney’s kid scholarships. Why not just increase Barney’s pay? He was getting about double his value anyway:thumbsup:
When I was in school in the 80's, I remember hearing that all university employee's kids could go to UNL tuition free no matter what the employee did for the university. i.e. a custodians kid could go for free. Don't know if that was true or not but I always wondered if Barney's kids could have qualified under that rather than using a football scholarship. But, it still wouldn't have covered room and board, training table, etc.

Not disagreeing with this because Scott articulated the same thing, but on the surface, a head scratcher. We can’t be graduating that many scholarship seniors. Scott said we’d take 25-30 in the next class. He must be anticipating some pretty massive attrition.
You’re either Scott’s guy or it’s the highway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back