• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Departures

His Dad's income shouldn't be considered. We only give scholarships to kids whose families can't afford college? If he's earned it, he's earned it.
I can appreciate that, but if it affects the number of new players that can be brought in on scholarship, I think there are special circumstances. You would approach the family to see if it mattered to them, for sure. Pat Ricketts started for two years without a scholarship which he earned, for example.

I can appreciate that, but if it affects the number of new players that can be brought in on scholarship, I think there are special circumstances. You would approach the family to see if it mattered to them, for sure. Pat Ricketts started for two years without a scholarship which he earned, for example.
Did they ask Ricketts family if it was ok to keep forking out tuition money even though he had earned a scholarship? That would be a strange conversation. Coach: "hey Pat, you've earned a scholarship but tell your parents you are not getting one because they are rich and can afford it". Also, would they have to determine an income level breakoff point to decide who gets scholarships? If you are above the line, you don't get one but, if you are just below it, you do? Do they audit the families to determine how much of their wealth is actual cash and how much is assets?

Last edited:
Did they ask Ricketts family if it was ok to keep forking out tuition money even though he had earned a scholarship? That would be a strange conversation. Coach: "hey Pat, you've earned a scholarship but tell your parents you are not getting one because they are rich and can afford it". Also, would they have to determine an income level breakoff point to decide who gets scholarships? If you are above the line, you don't get one but, if you are just below it, you do? Do they audit the families to determine how much of their wealth is actual cash and how much is assets?
Wow overreact much. Dude it was just an off hand comment. The point I think that the poster was trying to make is this. if you have 4-5 players that you would like to give a scholarship to and you only have 3 to give. You do not think can the family afford it should be taken into consideration? If you do not think that should be a factor, then you are not living in the real world.

Wow overreact much. Dude it was just an off hand comment. The point I think that the poster was trying to make is this. if you have 4-5 players that you would like to give a scholarship to and you only have 3 to give. You do not think can the family afford it should be taken into consideration? If you do not think that should be a factor, then you are not living in the real world.
Not overreacting. Just having fun pointing out that it is a goofy idea to be making determinations whether a kid should get a scholarship based on their family's financial situation. But thanks for sticking your nose in as you are apt to do.

Last edited:

Yes they did. And it was okay with his Dad and Joe.

What real world do you live in that a family is going to bypass saving $100k+ for the better of Nebraska football? Along with the other benefits the come with being put on full sholly outside of just tuition - better acces to facilities and training table, better academic opportunities pre and post graduation, etc. Frankly, i would consider it a slap in the face if a coach/university approached me with that nonsense, no matter how well-off my family was.

What real world do you live in that a family is going to bypass saving $100k+ for the better of Nebraska football? Along with the other benefits the come with being put on full sholly outside of just tuition - better acces to facilities and training table, better academic opportunities pre and post graduation, etc. Frankly, i would consider it a slap in the face if a coach/university approached me with that nonsense, no matter how well-off my family was.

I am curious what facilities are unavailable to walk ons? And don't walk ons have an opportunity to eat at the training table--maybe an additional cost but similar to dorm food cost isn't it? And what does a scholarship do for better academic opportunities??

Kurt Warner's net worth is $48M. $1K is .2% of $48M. That's one-fifth of a cent per dollar. Hardly a slap in the face. More like a drop in the ocean. If dad got indignant about being asked to pay his kid's way so someone more needy could play football and get a degree, I'd question his commitment to furthering his son's education.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand leaving before the end of the year (football year), how does that work towards college credit, do you earn a semester, did you just waste a semester? I guess if they are a walk on and have paid their own way it doesn't matter, they can continue being a student, so there is that.

If a kid earns a scholarship on his own merit he should not be penalized because his mother or father are successful on their own. It would be one thing if the parent approached the team and said in the best interest of the team I would be more then willing to pay his way, use that scholarship on someone else. It would not be alright to have the coach make that decision for them, scholarship money is passed out based on talent, not need. There are other programs that give out money based on need.

Kurt Warner's net worth is $48M. $1K is .2% of $48M. That's one-fifth of a cent per dollar. Hardly a slap in the face. More like a drop in the ocean. If dad got indignant about being asked to pay his kid's way so someone more needy could play football and get a degree, I'd question his commitment to furthering his son's education.

Well Joe Ricketts is worth 2.2 Billion now and it was around 1.6 B when Pat played.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back