• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Davison helping to pick OC

Would it surprise you if he was hip deep in the decision making process?

Like I said earlier, I don't know that it's bad if he is. Odd, sure. But if Frost has problems getting outside of his comfort zone (and by all accounts he does) maybe MD is the right man to push the limits on the comfort zone and bring in how's best for the program.

Yes. It would surprise me.

Maybe that’s not fair, since Matt isn’t the little toe headed kid who caught the pass against Missouri anymore. That’s 25 years in the rear view mirror, so maybe my characterization of him is unfair.

If Davidson is the guy to help get Frost out of his ‘Duck Funk’ on offense, great. I’d love to see it. I guess my point is we’ve got teeth gnashing going on about something we’re not even sure about.

First Crab, I actually enjoy the energy you bring to these opinion pages. I don't always agree with your posts, but I read your replies which says something. Second, you respond how you want to and I'll respond how I want to! Peace.

Fair enough.

If you use the reply function, it does eliminate all doubt about who or which post you’re responding to. It also alerts the poster you e responded to of your response. Kind of a tap on the shoulder if you will. If you’re not comfortable with that, so be it. We’ll figure it out.

Maybe that’s not fair, since Matt isn’t the little toe headed kid who caught the pass against Missouri anymore. That’s 25 years in the rear view mirror, so maybe my characterization of him is unfair.

If Davidson is the guy to help get Frost out of his ‘Duck Funk’ on offense, great. I’d love to see it. I guess my point is we’ve got teeth gnashing going on about something we’re not even sure about.
Of course we have teeth gnashing, our savior has won 3 games this year and been overall horrible for 4 years now. Plus we're crazy.

I don't think this fits the normal business filter system. We're not talking about a pool of thousands or even hundreds. We're talking about a pool of probably 10 or 20. Does Frost need help identifying even those people?

If MD is doing research on some guys for Frost that would make sense. Personality, offense history, etc...
I’m not sure it as different from a “normal” environment as you suggest. Yes the pool of candidates is a lot smaller and probably better known but in some cases you need to gauge interest, if interest you need to vet background, if interest you need to share details about NU and the job, if interest to start references and background checks … you’re not necessarily hiring a CEO but you are hiring a CFO or COO … so there is a process.

I’m not sure it as different from a “normal” environment as you suggest. Yes the pool of candidates is a lot smaller and probably better known but in some cases you need to gauge interest, if interest you need to vet background, if interest you need to share details about NU and the job, if interest to start references and background checks … you’re not necessarily hiring a CEO but you are hiring a CFO or COO … so there is a process.
That's fair. If that's what MD is doing that would make sense. As I said, if he's doing the research end of things for people Frost is interested in, that makes perfect sense to me.

If any of you who have some decent experience in corporate business structures or had actual experience in higher level athletics as a coach or player were tasked with assisting in looking for OC replacements, do you think you could do it? See, as much as I may think much of your thinking is flawed, I think many of you could, and likely would have some pretty similar candidates. Matt is no different. And one thing that Matt also has is insight into an offense that was previously extremely successful. That isn’t to say he likely hasn’t expanded his understanding of other offensive styles, but he’s seen a very successful, physical style, and if you listen to some of his commentary when on the radio, he’s been consistent in pointing out a need for greater physicality.

I don’t see him as the ‘yes man’ many of you do, and his employment future is like tied to the success of the program going forward. He’s going to look for a strong candidate.

I just watched that podcast and I cannot believe those guys are "sports people". There is no such thing as a coach who does not want to talk to anyone until after the season. If this unicorn does exist, then his agents are talking on his behalf. These guys don't know the business at all. Not only that but they start talking about OC's who use passing offenses. Its almost like these guys don't think before they speak.

Last edited:
I definitely think this is isn't a big deal. Frost has a lot on his plate these two weeks with coaching a somewhat cobbled together interim staff and playing our two biggest rivals (if not in record than in spirit).

If I were to guess, Frost put together two lists: one list of traits/skills he wants and a list of coaches he already is interested in. Davidson can take the first list to find coaches that aren't on Frost's radar while the second list can be used to gauge interest. Davidson can help and would affect who the OC, but it's not like he is making the decision. Just my :Sign2cents:

Fair enough.

If you use the reply function, it does eliminate all doubt about who or which post you’re responding to. It also alerts the poster you e responded to of your response. Kind of a tap on the shoulder if you will. If you’re not comfortable with that, so be it. We’ll figure it out.
I understand. I didn't think that many people were posting this morning so I just went straight commando. I see it has picked up so thanks for the heads up.

Matt is a personal SF friend which is all good but SF reluctance to address the bad offensive coaches which was super clear at end of 2020 season gives me pause as to whether SF really trusts Matt's counsel or Matt's counsel sucked.

Trev needs to be the adult in the room in making sure SF is not picking another lackey like he has done the last four years with all other coaching hires except for DL coach which turned out nicely

Call me crazy, but I am not going to get worked up either way about comments made by a beat reporter regarding the process to hire an OC. The only thing I care about is the end result.

If the process results in a good or great hire, then I don't care if Davison is or isn't involved.

If the process results in a poor hire, then we can criticize the process after-the-fact once we know how it actually shook out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back