• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

cut barret Pickering

I didn't want him gone, but I will admit I didn't give him much of a chance with that 47 yarder. Then again, with the cold and conditions I wouldn't have been overly optimistic if the Browns or Henery were kicking it.

I had a great deal of faith in him with the wind at his back. I watched him warming up at halftime at that end of field. He was hammering them through.

The wind in the 4th qtr was 7mph. Much more of a mental factor than an actual factor, IMO.

It was blowing harder earlier in the game, and was certainly a factor on the MSU kick clanging off the upright going into the wind.

The wind in the 4th qtr was 7mph. Much more of a mental factor than an actual factor, IMO.

It was blowing harder earlier in the game, and was certainly a factor on the MSU kick clanging off the upright going into the wind.

True, that's what it said on the scoreboards, which had the wind and "feels like" temperature. When it said 7 mph, we looked at the north end zone flags flapping in the wind and just started laughing. Might as well have said it was sunny and hot.

True, that's what it said on the scoreboards, which had the wind and "feels like" temperature. When it said 7 mph, we looked at the north end zone flags flapping in the wind and just started laughing. Might as well have said it was sunny and hot.

Whipping wind at the top of the stadium. In the bottom of the bowl, much less a factor.

Snow under the plant foot this biggest variable, IMO.

QB from CA, RB from TX, PK from AL.

I can't believe they persevered and won that game.

MSU OC should be taken out back and shot, IMO. They seemed to have pretty good success running it right at us. But they still threw the ball 41 freaking times. Thank you.

Last edited:
0038900-ixtr-1280x720.jpg

From Hail Varsity: https://hailvarsity.com/s/5492/look-photos-from-nebraskas-9-6-win-over-michigan-state

I, for one, have been a bit hard on Pickering and on the Huskers earlier in the season when we went 0-6 to start the season. But I can clearly see that the attitude and culture of this program has changed for the better and you can see the change and improvement on the field. For the first time in quite some time I really see this program moving towards relevancy again. I've been a Husker fan since 1968 and got spoiled by the greatness of this program and while we may never return to the greatness of the 1990's, I do see this program under Frost and this staff returning Husker pride to our great state and fan base. Things are definitely looking up for our beloved DONU!

Whipping wind at the top of the stadium. In the bottom of the bowl, much less a factor.

Snow under the plant foot this biggest variable, IMO.

QB from CA, RB from TX, PK from AL.

I can't believe they persevered and won that game.

MSU OC should be taken out back and shot, IMO. They seemed to have pretty good success running it right at us. But they still threw the ball 41 freaking times. Thank you.
I watched our punts with those whipping flags. Wind was a factor and we were lucky to be kicking with it when we needed those field goals.

I've posted this before When we had signed him:

Barret Pickering is a 6-0, 175-pound Kicker from Birmingham, AL.
He won the Ray Guy Top Prospect award for 2016 and 2017.
https://www.prokicker.com/player/barret-pickering1
Barret Pickering – Kicker / PunterHoover High (AL) class of 2018 has again been recognized as a Ray Guy Prokicker.com Top Prospect Award winner for 2017. His outstanding past performance at the Ray Guy Kicking Camp has now earned him the opportunity to compete at the National Top Prospect Camp held later this summer in Richmond, Kentucky – July 15-16, [I don't think he went].

Hopefully he just needed to adjust to the College level of football and has now settled in and proven to himself he can do it. He certainly proved it in HS.

This is why so much criticism heped on Bama early was very undeserved. Even a top HS K has to adjust to college ball, to the crowds, to the pressure (real or perceived), and life as a Freshman in college away from home.

We have literally been spoiled with the legacy of excellent kickers and punters we have produced over the years. Not everybody can be a 90% guy with a range of 50+ from day 1. Most K in college never will be, and some forget that.

Pickering not only rose up when we needed him, he also took over the KO job recently.

Sounds like improvement from game 1 to me. Sounds like a player responding to good coaching to me.

This is why so much criticism heped on Bama early was very undeserved. Even a top HS K has to adjust to college ball, to the crowds, to the pressure (real or perceived), and life as a Freshman in college away from home.

We have literally been spoiled with the legacy of excellent kickers and punters we have produced over the years. Not everybody can be a 90% guy with a range of 50+ from day 1. Most K in college never will be, and some forget that.

Pickering not only rose up when we needed him, he also took over the KO job recently.

Sounds like improvement from game 1 to me. Sounds like a player responding to good coaching to me.

Did you see him put the ball into the EZ against the wind in the 3rd Qtr?!?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back