• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

cut barret Pickering

No. Pickering does his job and we win. Very disappointing but I am sure he will shake this off and become a great kicker.

My response that you replied to was from the Purdue game so I don’t know why you chose to reply to it the way you did

Come on Mack. You are one of my favorites on this board but Puckering was put in place to do his job. Doesn't matter the situation or the circumstances. He failed. What am I missing?
I dont disagree. If it had been a 44 yard field goal I'd be all for it, but 54 yards is asking too much when he's struggling, imo.

I do love how we are bagging on Pickering...a true freshman yet another true freshman through an absolute stinker of pick when he should have eaten the ball...

Here is why you don't bag on Martinez too hard... because we all can see the talent there and know it is going to get nurtured into a really really good football player... Well.. take it from someone who spent many, many years kicking and teaching others to kick. Pickering is also talented and is going to develop into a darn good kicker as well.

With true freshman you must preach patience...

Honestly I thought he hit it a little low, the way the ball was spinning real fast. His confidence is not a lot different than anyone else including the coaches, just a bit shakey right now, he will get better I have no doubt.
I agree it was not 100% clean... I bet he was worried about lift in that thick lush grass they have there (on Purpose!) and hit it a little low and through but to me it is encouraging that even if it was not a top dead center hit, he still got it there with plenty to spare. I think you and I both agree he will improve a lot by getting more and more game situational kicking and the strength program will help too.

I agree it was not 100% clean... I bet he was worried about lift in that thick lush grass they have there (on Purpose!) and hit it a little low and through but to me it is encouraging that even if it was not a top dead center hit, he still got it there with plenty to spare. I think you and I both agree he will improve a lot by getting more and more game situational kicking and the strength program will help too.

That is where I am at too, he didn't hit it clean and still had leg to spare. Pickering is like a lot of players on this team, just need to build a little confidence. He may not be the one, but the way the season is going they need to stick with him and get him some reps going forward.

When everybody screws up I think it pays to wait until things settle down and see who is still screwing up when nobody else is.

Last edited:

lol, i know it would be at the top before the page loaded. I'm really glad he has been making kicks. I'm happy when they go through the uprights. But my pessimism is not resolved :Biggrin:

Kids 12/16 as a true freshman. Drew Brown was 14/21 as a frosh. He turned out alright. Just don't get pigeonholing a kid midway through his true freshman season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back