• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Current analytical projection

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...er-36-predicting-whos-and-out-ncaa-tournament

Looks like we are picking up some steam. Take care of business our last 4 games & we are in. Andy Katz has a power 36 rankings (# of at large bids) and the Huskers are coming in at #28 obviously this isn't the be all end all but if it were we wouldn't even be in a play in game GBR

I’ve always wondered what the difference is between a Power ranking and a regular ranking.

I remember forever it seems that 20 wins and over 500 in conference always got you in the tourney. But I guess times change.
There are now over 350(!) Div I basketball teams. Back in the day of 20 being the benchmark, there were not quite 200 teams. Also teams play more games in the season, so each game is diluted.

EDIT: There are also 32 automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
I know WHY they are saying the Big 10 is down this year but man, 3 teams in the top 8 for the Big 10 plus half of our losses were to teams ranked in the top 13. But hey, we're moving up. 34th in the AP poll.

Coaches Poll too. 64+ invites on NCAA tournament. I thought almost clinched ..... :Confused:

Dummy here. Selection decisions in March Madness tourney ..... NCAA Gods? Equivalent to CFP committee?

Last edited:

There are now over 350(!) Div I basketball teams. Back in the day of 20 being the benchmark, there were not quite 200 teams. Also teams play more games in the season, so each game is diluted.

EDIT: There are also 32 automatic bids to the NCAA tournament.

How long ago do you have to go back to get to a point where there were 200 teams in D1?

I've heard the "unbalanced schedule" mentioned a couple times on the radio today. Bahe was saying that only playing MSU, OSU and Purdue once was hurting Nebraska. Maybe. Or it could be that NU is the beneficiary of some incredibly lucky scheduling only having to play them once.

If you take an average of the RPI of NU's Big 10 schedule you come up with 112. That's unprecedented, i would bet, in the big 10. For comparison's sake, Loyola Chicago's average RPI in-conference opponent is 128. If you take out the big 3...against which NU is 0-3, NU's average Big 10 opponent RPI is 131.

My point being...NU is better than they've been in the last couple years. But don't let the talking heads fool you into thinking NU's schedule could keep them out of the dance. It is as much the case that the schedule is what is keeping them in it.

NU should win each of the 4 games remaining. Period. If that happens...they are in. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If they lose a game it would be best if it was Maryland. That's probably still good for 4th place and I'd still put the odds at pretty darn high that they'd be in. Drop 2 and they need to go on a run in NYC because that probably means losing to Illinois as I don't see any way they lose 2 of 3 at home.

I really think it's as simple as the paragraph above. Analytics/schmanalytics.

Coaches Poll too. 64+ invites on NCAA tournament. I thought almost clinched ..... :Confused:

Dummy here. Selection decisions in March Madness tourney ..... NCAA Gods? Equivalent to CFP committee?
There are 32 automatic bids so tourney champs from conferences like the Summit or the SWAC get in no matter what. That leaves 36 "at large" bids. So yeah, generally a team thought of as #34 will get in. But the polls aren't a great gauge...NU could go from #34 to not getting votes with one loss. The RPI and some of the other tools they use are much less moody than voters.

of those 36 at large bids...probably 33 are slam dunks. It's really the last 2 or 3 where all the debate occurs. So when these "experts" say "I got 35 out of 36 right last year"....eh...they actually got 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 right. Any noob could tell you that Mich St. and Purdue are getting in if OSU wins the Big 10 tourney.

I've heard the "unbalanced schedule" mentioned a couple times on the radio today. Bahe was saying that only playing MSU, OSU and Purdue once was hurting Nebraska. Maybe. Or it could be that NU is the beneficiary of some incredibly lucky scheduling only having to play them once.

If you take an average of the RPI of NU's Big 10 schedule you come up with 112. That's unprecedented, i would bet, in the big 10. For comparison's sake, Loyola Chicago's average RPI in-conference opponent is 128. If you take out the big 3...against which NU is 0-3, NU's average Big 10 opponent RPI is 131.

My point being...NU is better than they've been in the last couple years. But don't let the talking heads fool you into thinking NU's schedule could keep them out of the dance. It is as much the case that the schedule is what is keeping them in it.

NU should win each of the 4 games remaining. Period. If that happens...they are in. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If they lose a game it would be best if it was Maryland. That's probably still good for 4th place and I'd still put the odds at pretty darn high that they'd be in. Drop 2 and they need to go on a run in NYC because that probably means losing to Illinois as I don't see any way they lose 2 of 3 at home.

I really think it's as simple as the paragraph above. Analytics/schmanalytics.
I am happy we only played those teams once, but I do wish we played MSU this week instead of early in the season. We all know this is a much different team now than we were in mid to early December

Last edited:

How long ago do you have to go back to get to a point where there were 200 teams in D1?
2.5 decades is my guess. :) But I don't think the magic number for getting into the Dance has been 20 wins without some other factor for that long.

I am happy we only played those teams once, but I do wish we played MSU this week instead of early in the season. We all know this is a much different team now than we were in mid to early December
Agree and a couple of those early non-con opponents would be handled now as well imo. Although St. Johns is a tough team to figure out.:confused:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back